Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting from Paris CDG to Paris Center.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of taking the Metro from Terminal 1 into Paris.

Is there anything that I should particularly watch out for, as a non-french speaking, first timer in Paris.

Thanks
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:37 AM

My wife and I returned from Paris 2 months ago. We didn't speak French, and we took RER train (there is no Metro in CDG) to Paris downtown. I do admit its kind of difficult to navigate at CDG as the signs are quite obscure for American standards. The only thing for you to watch is to ensure you take the right shuttle bus from the terminal to the train station.

Also when trying to get off the train in downtown, you have to pull the door handle up for the door to open. Just observe how other passengers do it.

Enjoy.
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Take this to the Europe Board. You'll get lots of advise. Do a search for even more advise. There's probably 101 different ways to do this.
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Budman is right about taking your question to the Europe board. I say take the train if you are traveling light and there are not more than three of you. The four of us took a shuttle last year and it was just fine for us. We found that there is a three person cut-off for cabs , so that is why we opted for the shuttle. Pick pockets are a reality on crowded, tourist filled trains, so exercise wisdom while in these situations. Hauling luggage on a train might also be a bit of a drag. Paris is wonderful, even though the people (especially Arabs) were not as warm this past March as they have been in the past. Have a great time. Tim
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:26 AM

Just wanted to clarify...our family of 4 used a cab from CDG to our hotel...there are cabs that fit 4 plus luggage...and it wasn't a problem to find a cab right at the cab place at CDG.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:57 AM

I agree with the recommendation to ask this on the Europe board.

My husband and I tok the RER to CDG from central Paris in September 2001, a week and a half after 9/11. We sat in the back of a car and piled our luggage near the emergency exit door. A few minutes into the ride, the door opened, and several SWAT type guys dressed in all black, stood there with guns, giving us dirty looks, because our luggage was in the way. We moved the pile a little and they went on through the train. The moral is: if you take the RER, don't put your luggage next to any door, even if the door doesn't look usable by passengers.
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Shuttle, which you can order on line or via an 800 number, or a cab. You will be dropped off at your hotel. The last time we took the shuttle from CDG, I think it was about $18.00 US each. It is not worth the inconvenience of the public transportation and then getting off in an unfamiliar area and then walking to your hotel with your luggage.
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your suggestions...I didnt realize that I posted to US forum