Family Weekend Get-away to Bend, OR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to spend Columbus Day weekend in Bend, OR. We are a couple in our late thirties/early forties with an almost 8-year-old son. We enjoy good food (I'm already trying to get a reservation at Cork), some light outdoor activities (e.g. easy hikes), science and technology oriented museums, and interesting shopping (not interested in the same chain stores that I can find in my local mall). Any suggestions for what to do, where to eat, where to shop, etc. in the two full days, i.e. Saturday and Sunday, that we have there will be very much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read/respond to this post!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM

Bend is all about the outdoors and outdoor activities, so no problems there. Lots of great hikes in the area. But, the only museum I know of there is the High Desert Museum: http://www.highdesertmuseum.org/. Well worth a visit, but not exactly science or technology.

Shopping? Lots of local and independently owned stores scattered around town, but the biggest nearby concentration of them might be the town of Sisters. Except for McDonald's, you won't find any of the shops there in your local mall. Better yet, include the Camp Sherman General Store as part of your outdoor activity. It's my favorite store in all of central Oregon.

In line with the outdoor theme, suggest you stay at either Sunriver Resort or Black Butte Ranch.

Where are you visiting from? Based on your interests, I'm wondering if Portland wouldn't be a better idea.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, beachbum! We are visiting from California. We've been to Portland before and had a good time there. I checked out the High Desert Museum and think it will be a good place for us to visit. I didn't mean to say science and tech museums were the only museums that we liked; I just wanted to give some idea of our interests without making the post too long.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM

I echo everything that beachbum wrote, lol! Seriously
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM

Not far from the High Desert Museum is the Lava Lands Visitors Center you might enjoy - there are movies of the erupting volcanos/ guided walks through the lava ( not sure if that goes on all year) and lots of displays - very interesting and you can drive up to the top for great views

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centralorego...avalands.shtml

There is hiking galore - there is a nice hike that starts right in Bend across from the Old Mill shopping area and goes along the Deschutes River - its really very nice considering it starts right in town.

Love bikeriding in SunRiver too- lots of great paths -
It might be getting kind of chilly up there but will be beautiful during the day.

I am not up on the shopping there as there are too many fun outdoors things to do.

I like eating at the Lodge at SunRiver and also the Trouthouse

In Bend I usually end up eating Thai food - I think its called Toomies - very good !
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM

Sunbums ideas are good, and you will be there right before they close for the season. Lava Butte and the Lava Tubes are fun. The cave is a constant 42 degrees, so just be warned to wear warm clothes. In the summer it is refreshing, but by mid October it can feel downright cold. Both of these places close mid October, so check the dates.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM

Also consider the short trip to Sisters if you want shopping we thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the town. A stop in at sisters bakery is a must.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mms, sunbums1944 and Suzie! I just checked and found that Lava Butte will be open while we are there! I love bakeries, so if there's an especially noteworthy one in Sisters, I may have to swing over there. I'm getting really excited about visiting Bend thanks to all these great ideas.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM

If you go to the Lava Land Visitors Center - you will see a sign that says "Benham
Falls" - also a nice little hike along the Deschutes with some rapids and falls-

Another fun thing to do is take the chair lift up to the top of Mt Bachelor - great views -
not sure of hours of operation though -

we had a snowball fight in July last time we were there.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Was all set for a Bachelor ski trip when someone told me climate change has made it rainier there and Mt. Hood was the mountain to go to. May change those plans to The Dalles. Oregon's climate has been all over the map lately. Votta donna roo?
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Hopingtotravel--Personally, I prefer Bachelor for skiing. But Bachelor is more seasonal than Hood, as you can ski at Hood for most of the year, although limited runs, etc. The Dalles...not a place I would go to, especially on vacation. What time of year are you coming?
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM

My four kids and I just enjoyed five days in Bend in early August, so I'm sure you'll find plenty to do. We took our mountain bikes with us and enjoyed biking all over. The path near the Old Mill District was nice and easy for our four year old and we had a good ride through Shevlin Park, which was beautiful. There were also a lot of hikers at Shevlin. Follow the Tumelo Creek path and you'll also hit a covered bridge.

Drake Park and walking the downtown area was a big hit. Lots of shopping, art galleries to snoop through. Favorite coffee shop was Thump. Favorite breakfast is Alpenglow. Check out the ice cream at Goodies (can recommend the marion berry and I don't even like berries.) My kids favorite place to eat lunch was Flatbread Community Pizza in the Old Mill District. Your son may like the "make your own pizza" on the kids menu and we ALL loved the mac n' cheese.

Have fun!
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 09:13 AM
pdx

Our favorite breakfast cafe:
http://www.alpenglowcafe.com/fresh-ingredients.htm
The cascading grains pancakes are what I love most, but it's one of those sharing things because there are lots of other good things to try, too. Often a wait on the weekend but either go early or just be prepared to spend the time.

A matinee at the McMenamin's Old St Francis School:
http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=98&id=786

Ditto Drake Park, take a picnic and some duck-feeding bread.

Great choice for a little getaway, you'll enjoy it. The altitude and the piney air makes you feel good. Are you flying in or driving?
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM

mms, we lived in The Dalles 1973-76. However, I'm afraid now it would look very brown to me after 26 years in AK.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 09:18 AM

hopingtotravel--Yes, I can imagine It has grown some since then, but it is still pretty brown, lol!
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM

friend of mine was just in Bend and then went to Portland..said he never experienced such a extreme liberal rant towards him in a car with all the green people on their bikes..he is a liberal but a moderate one..said he had no idea the two towns were out of control rude..I can't imagine he's lying but anyone have any insight on this?
He said the bike lanes with the bicyclist hit your car with expletives and tell you that you suck because you drive a car (he was in an small car)..not good for tourism if that is the case.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM

ksucat--I am curious as to where this happened. I have never seen this happen, or had it happen to me, but I am not saying that it couldn't, of course. Did it happen in both towns or just one?
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Hi mms..
He was in Bend and said that the cyclist weren't as 'Nazi' as the ones in Portland..said they hit his car several times throughout the city and he was aghast at his treatment from several of them in the downtown Portland area...I asked if someone put a Bush sticker on his car..he said NO!
He was extremely saddened that if you weren't wearing hemp clothes and hat plether shoes, most, not all of the residents were very rude.
He called them the true 'Angry liberals'..and he voted for BO.
Don't you live in Portland mms?
Gosh, I hope this isn't how it is..
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:47 AM

ksucat--I live in a suburb of Portland. I drive an SUV and even with that have never had anyone say or do anything, even when in downtown Portland. We were in Bend 3 times just last month alone, and again, never seen anything like what you describe. I don't wear hemp clothes, etc either I would venture to guess that your friends experience was much more of an anomaly.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM

probably so mms!
his stories made for good cocktail fodder..
we were laughing that he was in a Hummer..Bush t-shirt with a Sean and Rush are right bumper sticker..oh wait, that my car..hee hee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -