Reload this Page >

Vero Beach, Florida area

Search

Vero Beach, Florida area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Chris

Vero Beach, Florida area

Will be spending a week at a private apartment just off the beach in a place called St. John in Vero Beach. Anyone know of things to do? Have Car. Will travel. (Up to an hour anyway)

We will be stopping at Disney (Magic Kingdom) on the way down. Please check for my other post if you have info you'd like to share. (or go ahead here)

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Bill

Not much around Vero. You could drive down to Ft. Lauderdale or even South Beach in Miami.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Moneybags

Vero Beach is kind of a high-class area. SNooty people usually don't have much fun

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:30 PM
kit

Vero is not snooty and high-class. It's a perfectly normal/lovely place to spend a beach vacation. West Palm is not too far to the south and Cape Canaveral is not to far to the north. (I don't have a map in front of me, but I remember thinking the drives weren't lengthy.) Lauderdale and SoBe are a bit more of a hike down 95. But Bill is right...

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Chris

Thanks for the info (we'll be looking out for the supposed "snooty" folks just to look down our noses at THEM.

Anyone else with ideas? We don't drink or go "clubbing". We're more interested in "neat stuff" (how's that for a description). The Cape Canaveral idea is cool. I'm looking for stuff like that. Also any restaurant suggestions?

Thx...Chris

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Sammy

The local newspaper is called the Vero Beach Press Journal.
It's available online, lots of info that may help you.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Topper

ttt

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:54 AM
joan

Chris, you don't say when you're going, but if it's May or later, you're in for a rare treat: turtles, turtles, and more turtles. Just north of Vero is Sebastian Inlet. North of that is an area called Floridana Beach. Pick any night, cover yourself with DEET, and plan to walk the beach (10 PM or later) If you stay an hour I guarantee you will see turtles. May/June/July there are the mom's laying their eggs. July/August/September you'll see the babies erupting from the nests. There's so many nests they don't mark or rope them off the way they do on the West coast of Florida. Don't know if the nests extend south into Vero area, your apt owner will know. No flashlights!

P.S. I second the Cape Canaveral visit. Awesome - be sure to take the shuttle out to the launch pad.

Also, consider renting a canoe/kayak and exploring the Indian River behind (west) you.

Have fun!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Cheryl

Spend a day sitting on the beach at Sebastian Inlet State Park. It's very beautiful and remote. Cape Canaveral is definitely worth a visit. Have fun.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Grand Floridian

Sebastian Inlet is great

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Chris

We're going the first week of April. What about turtles then?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:56 AM
xxxx

Wow! Going to Vero eh? I grew up there! But I don't know what "St. John" is. Vero is quite pretty, but not a whole lot to do there. I do always look forward to going home there every Christmas for the warm weather though!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:59 AM
xxxxx

forgot one thing....good thing you're not into clubbing...there is absolutely no clubbing to be found in Vero...in fact there really is no nightlife to be found in Vero. It is a place to go and relax and soak up some sun. For restaurants, I personally have to go Bobby's for lunch every time I am home. The Black Pearl is nice for dinner.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:43 AM
joan

Chris - you may be in luck. Check out the Archie Carr Wildlife Refuge, here's the link:
http://www.nbbd.com/godo/acnwr/index.html
If you look at the fall 2001 newsletter, there were over 15,000 nests in the area last season. Wow!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Vero Lover

Bobby's is good

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:54 AM
X

I agree with one of the above posters...it's a snobbery

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:36 AM
xxxx

Hey X!! Watch it! I am from Vero! And I'm not a snob! Where do hear such nonsense? Are you from Vero? Have you ever been to Vero? If you are going to make remarks of that sort, then could you please back it up with reasons why you feel the way you do?

Old Jun 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We will be returning to Vero in October with my brother and his family... 7 yr. old daughter and 8 yr. old son... other than a visit to see the space center near by is there any activities for young children? We will be playing on the beach and in the pool but if there is a rainy day we'd love to take in a children's museum or something like that with the kids.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM

I will be going to Vero Beach area next winter vacation (2013) and would like to find a place on the beach which is not a high rise. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Hi, I am in Vero and work at the Vero Beach Art Club beachside. There are lots of hotels on the beach here that are not high rises because the most they allow are three floors. The city council keeps the view in mind. If you want really luxurious living right on the ocean go for Gloria Estefan's place on the ocean Costa d'Este or Vero Beach Hotel and Spa. If you don't mind an older hotel but right on the beach, try the Surf Club. They have been renovating little by little so I would ask for one of the newly done rooms if they are available. Best part is that they are on the ocean but are on the lower end of the pricing. If you want personality plus, definitely stay at the Driftwood Inn, very historic with rocking chairs looking out over the pool and ocean and all kinds of cool wrought iron, stained glass and doodads. Mid-range are The Reef and Holiday Inn Oceanside. The Surf is about 2 or 3 miles from the main shopping and dining area but if you want to park the car and walk everywhere, the rest of them are central beach located. Finally if you want the whole package and have kids, Disney has a Vero Beach Vacation Resort here too. Further north along A1A but once you get there, it's pretty cool for the kids. Disney character breakfasts, bonfires by the ocean, great pools, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -