Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Park Avalon for NYC brunch for eight - anyone been or other recs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the city next month; staying at the Michelangelo Hotel(152 W 51st) -we have invited some people (8 total) - for Sunday brunch - we would like to keep it between $35 - $45 or less per person -

someone recommended Park Avalon but another friend said it is very noisy w/ the jazz brunch and we do not want to have to raise our voices to enjoy conversation.

Any other opinions on this and/or suggestions for brunch - music would be nice, but not required.

Casual to upscale casual for dress. We don't mind walking from the Michelangelo or it's ok if a short cab ride for us - ( we will go back to hotel to retreive our luggage before heading to Penn for Amtrak home) - other people are driving in except one in the city who can subway or walk to most locations.

Any suggestions appreciated -
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

I also should have said we definitely want a place that will take a reservation - thanks !
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM

I'm quite fond of the following:

Eatery on 53rd St & 9th Ave
Sarabeth's on Central Park South
Burke & Donatella on 61st St btwn Park & Lex
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Oops...I don't think the Eatery takes reservations anymore. Burke & Donatella do, unsure about Sarabeths. I just usually walk into these places and don't really think about reservations.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks mcnyc - i went on the web sites, Eatery posts that you can call so it appears they take rezzies but it said not on line - I have been to Sarabeth's and I don't think they take rezzie's either, but I know a few of our group has been so I was looking for something new -

have you been or heard things about either
Artisinal or Norma's at Parker Meridien or
Friend of a Farmer - .....
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Maybe this isn't what you want, but for a quiet place with a lot of room at your table, have you considered the wonderful brunch buffet at Brasserie 8 1/2? It's really superb, and it also takes the "pressure" off people of what to order or how much to spend. You can also stay as long as you like (the desserts are amazing) and there is no pressure to leave.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:33 PM
mp

If you want to come downtown a bit, it's only a quick cab ride - I would suggest Cookshop -156 Tenth Avenue at 20th Street - wonderful food, great space, very comfortable for big groups - easy parking in the area on Sundays - average brunch entree is $16. check out www.cookshopny.com
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Someone suggested Artisinal. That's a recommendation I'd strongly second. They do an excellent brunch and can accommodate large parties with enough notice ... and places shouldn't be nearly so busy next month as they are now.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick - that sounds exactly what we were looking for, non rush, etc except for the brunch buffet part - I'll have to ask hubby - he usually does not like them b/c he eats too much - absolutely zero control - but it is the perfect solution for a large group - I looked at the menu and with so many varieties everyone should be happy -

NeoPatrick have you ever been to Roberto Passon for brunch? we loved our dinner there, weren't rushed, they were so accomodating - wondering if we should consider that in this brunch mix?
I looked at the menu, it's small but I would think everyone could find something and the food was sooo good for dinner -

mp - I looked at the cookshop and it has a great menu and is some of the same people from Five Points which we love - and the easy parking for the two separate couples driving in might be an easier option for them -

I like that you say great space for a large group - we would like to be able to really sit and chat and be comfortable and not cramped and not have it too loud - which was myh concern at Park Avalon -

thanks for two exc options -so along with the rec for the Eatery, I'm down to a few for us to bat around tomorrow and look at menus -

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:55 PM

I haven't been to the brunch at Park Avalon. If you want to be near your hotel, I agree with Patrick that the Brasserie 8 1/2 buffet is very good. Setting is somewhat glamorous and a good buffet brunch in NYC is not so typical.

Telepan is a newish place near Lincoln Center. They have a nice brunch for $25.
http://www.telepan-ny.com/brunch.html

Artisinal is good but can also get noisy. Friend of a Farmer is nice, but not special (imo). I'm not a Norma's fan.

There's a jazz brunch with Barbara Carroll at the Algonquin hotel but it's $58/person. http://www.algonquinhotel.com/menus/...0bc%20Fall.pdf

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Escargot, you were typing while I was thinking. I've had brunch at Roberto Passon and while it could have been an off day, it was not a good experience.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

thanks McLaurie - we'll nix Passon for brunch (the pre theater dinner we had a few months ago was delicious!) -
I like the looks of Telepan....
The jazz brunch looks fabulous, - my husband and I will definitely go there on one of our visits since we love jazz - but it's more than I want to spend on this brunch...
more menus to print out for us to look at tomorrow - I am going to make a list and knock them off one by one over the next year
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

we'll also nix Artisinal and Norma's -
thanks. noisy won't work - it drives my husband crazy when he can't have a conversation without raising his voice
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Then certainly nix Eatery. It's noisy as well, and I really don't think it will be suitable for you. I have never found Artisinal loud for brunch. I did think of one other place, which is just stupendous. Asiate. A truly love, tranquil place and with an excellent view of Central park from atop the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. I think it's within your price range.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM

No, I haven't been to Roberto Passon. We did pass by there one day and saw it jam packed. It's sure a bargain for brunch, and if only half as good as dinner, it's a winner.

My only quibble with Artisinal, which I LOVE, is that even two of us can barely talk there at lunch. I can't imagine 8 people having a conversation. While the food is good it is one huge echo chamber.

I do know what you mean about buffets. I'm in the same camp, yet somehow I've always loved the one at Brasserie 8 1/2, mainly because the displays aren't huge and overpowering, but everything is more about quality than quantity. And again, I think its best feature is that it is amazingly spacious and NOT noisy. The two of us have always been given a gigantic table or booth, and there is no crowding. And every time I've been there, there seem to be several larger parties having sooooo much fun.

What's more, I think the real problem with places like Norma's or Sarabeth's is that they are "hurry up and get out of here" places.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. i will look into them all tomorrow - open table shows no openings at Brasserie 8 1/2 but sometimes that happens and when you call there is an opening -
and also into Asiate -
we definitely need somewhere where we can all talk - we don't see these people that often and it is a real mix of family ages - older gentlemen, my mid 20's daughter who lives in the city with possibly the boyfriend, a young relative who can not speak loudly due to an illness, so we comfort and ability to talk is important - and to not feel rushed -

we'll give brunch at Passon a try another time when visiting my daughter - and might even have a pre theater dinner there this January trip with the other group of friends we are meeting at the Michelangelo for the weekend.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM

I think Park Avalon closed a while ago. Are you talking about the one on Park Avenue South? If so it's gone.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 08:48 PM

Sarabeth's doesn't take ressies - I would definitely check out Five Points (www.opentable.com) or Goblin Market. Five Points rocks! I have dreams of their maple custard french toast, and they are great w/ groups.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM

We've been to Telepan on UWS on a few occasions and they do serve a pretty good brunch. It;s a nice go to place for us when we want to venture in the Upper West Side for a meal.

Norma's is a tourist-heavy destination and has that chaotic ambiance with the constant herding in and out of tourists. The enormous portions, heavily decorated with whipped cream for the sweeter items, aren't that good, anyway.

Sarabeth's is simply not the celebratory-type place when compared to the others. The food' just OK, but nothing to write home about.

We weren't that impressed with Five Points in the Lower East Side. Perhaps, it's the overcooked egg dishes or the kitchen just had an off day.

Don't know anything about Park Avalon.

Within your price point, I'd recommend Eleven Madison Park. Daniel Humm is leading the kitchen with terrific dishes and impeccable service. They have a $36 brunch menu. The ambiance is one of the best in the city and caters well to a larger group. It's a 15 minute cab ride from the Michaelangelo.

http://www.elevenmadisonpark.com/
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:42 AM

I was also going to suggest Eleven Madison Park but I thought it looked like it could get too expensive.

I agree with NeoPatrick on Brasserie 8 1/2 (but I promise, give R Passon a miss for brunch and stick with dinner). Doug makes a point about Artisinal. I've never been there for brunch, only lunch and dinner and both were loud. But maybe brunch is less crowded.

Agree with everything Bill Boy said. Five Points is much too cramped for a group of 8 (imo).

Don't dismiss mcnyc's suggestion of DavidBurke & Donatella. I haven't had their brunch, but food there is excellent, good accoustics and a nice prix fixe menu.
http://www.dbdrestaurant.com/menu_brunch.html

I've only been for tea, but what about the Astor Court in the St. Regis hotel? Beautiful room, probably some music, nearish the Michelangelo. Just can't find a menu online so don't know about prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -