Reload this Page >

where to stay with older teens key west

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:28 PM
xxx

Could anyone suggest a place in key west in August? we are travelling with 2 17 year olds and they want to be pretty much on their own.I know that rates are pretty high,any affordable places within walking distance of town? My husband and I have never been..Thanks

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 02:38 AM
susan

August is very hot and humid and prices should be at their lowest then. If you stay in Old Town, your teens should be able to get around easily by themselves. Check out accommodations at keywestparadise.com. In my opinion, the places directly on the Gulf are most convenient, but some are expensive, too. We like the Hyatt a lot, and for a family, the Galleon next door is great. They have two bedroom condominiums.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:31 AM
xxx

thanks susan, it gives me someplace to start. I will check out those websites,the 2 bedroom sounds like a great idea,hopefully it will be affordable in august.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:19 AM
L

17 in Key West....with parent? Key West is a place to let loose, get wild, see things you probably wouldn't at home, do things you probably wouldn't do at home and certainly would not want your kids or parents to know about. Most of the action is on Duval Street, near Pier House. There are very hotels there. The prices vary by season but also depending on what is going on that week/ weekend. The other end is more beach friendly and resort. The island is very small so anywhere is fine. The hotels on the north end of the island are older and usually less expensive. YOu should probably talk to your husband about how much freedom you are going to allow the kids and how much you are willing to over look. If you haven't had a good talk about binge drinking, alternative life styles, sex and protection, etc.... hope you all have fun and come back with a little something you're embarased about.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:46 AM
x

If you haven't had a good talk about binge drinking, alternative life styles, sex and protection, etc.... hope you all have fun and come back with a little something you're embarased about.

WOW, relax. They are 17 not 21+. They will have a very hard time getting into bars and partying it up. There is much more to Key West then what you described. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:54 AM
xxxoooo

I wonder how many parents of pregnant teenagers or teenagers with aids and other diseases also said, "hey, they're only 17 not 21, I'll keep my mind out of the gutter."
L's suggestion about a talk is a very good one!!!!!!! No harm can come of it, but a lot of harm can come from avoiding it.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 12:07 PM
mom

A talk is fine but should not be prompted by a trip or family vacation.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 05:46 PM
l

I think it's wise to take opportunities to talk to your kids about these things and going to Key West is a prime situation to talk, again I hope, about these things with your kids. They'll have different views and feelings at 17 than they will at 21 but also different than they did at 13 or 14. There is a lot to do in Key West but in the evening these issues are fairly obvious.