3 Must Do's in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three days in San Francisco in early September, staying at the Sir Francis Drake near Union Square.

Would love to hear what you all think are the three most important things to see/do whilst in San Francsico. I encourage quirky responses!!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:53 AM
casey_reed84

Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, go to Alcatraz, explore China Town. I hope that was quick enough for you.

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 04:46 AM

Quirky? OK...go see "Beach Blanket Babylon" you'll never forget it.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Ride a cable car
Go to the Ferry Building
Go to Alcatraz
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Take the ferry to Sausalito for lunch.

Go to SFMOMA.org to see Frida Kahlo

Have a drink at Top of the Mark at the Mark Hopkins hotel.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

All so far are great suggestions. If you are there when it is open, visit the Farmers Market in the Marina area. San Francisco is one of my favorite towns to 'meander in, do some of that as well.

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
dmlove

visit the Farmers Market in the Marina area.

Do you mean the farmers market at the ferry bldg? Just trying to clarify, because although it's on the water, the ferry bldg is nowhere near the Marina area? FWIW, the farmer's market at the Ferry Bldg (referred to in NY Mag as "the granddaddy of them all" operates on Tuesdays (smaller) and Saturdays (huge) until 2 p.m.

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM

Watch the movie "Bullet" 3 times,rent proper car,tour streets of San Francisco.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
TC

Have you been before? If not, I would encourage you to do the typical walking around just to get a feel for the city. Chinatown is a great walk and there are several good walking tours there. We like to walk from Union Square through Chinatown to NorthBeach for dinner in one of the little Italian places filled with locals.

If its your first visit, I encourage you to take a little half day bus tour just to see the maximum number of sights in a short time. Its a wonderful way to see the city's archeticture and topography -- two "must sees". You can then return to any area that was of special interest to you.

I agree wholeheartedly with seeing Beach Blanket Babylon. It is amazingly "quirky" must see.

Take the ferry from the Ferry Building to Sausalito. The ride across the bay is beautiful and Sausalito street artists and galleries are fun. From Sausilito you could take a short ride to Muir Woods for the redwood forest. After dinner in Sausalito, take the ferry back across to Fisherman's Wharf for a closer view of Alcatraz and a walk around FW before taking a cable car back to Union Square.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Definitely do the Farmers market, Saturday mornings are great there! Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park/Bridge, and riding cable car are recommended.

After you do that, then you can explore all the neighborhoods like Chinatown, North Beach etc. I thought Lombard Street (crookedest street) was worth a visit. If you're there until Sept 28, the Dale Chihuly glass show is at the De Young musuem in Golden Gate Park, definitely worth a visit!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Take the Powell Street trolly to Fishermans wharf.

Rent a bike and ride over the Golden Gate Bbridge! (Damn that thing is HIGH!)

Eat Italian Around Washington Park and walk off the meal on the way back to your hotel.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
dmlove

From Sausilito you could take a short ride to Muir Woods for the redwood forest. After dinner in Sausalito, take the ferry back across to Fisherman's Wharf for a closer view of Alcatraz

Just a note, to get to Muir Woods from Sausalito, you need a car or other transportation.

Also, the last ferry back from Sausalito is 7:30 or so, so it's either an early dinner, or plan another way to return to the city.

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM

1. Walk around the Ferry building.
2. Get a beer at Tornoado in Haight Ashbury area.
3. Spend some time in the rose garden at Golden Gate Park...my favorite time is to go there in the a.m. with a coffee and a bagel and just enjoy some relaxing moments.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:06 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

DM - Yes that is correct, I seemingly confused the terms.

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
dmlove

I just wanted to be sure the OP didn't go looking for the Farmer's Market in the Marina District!

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Golden Gate Park, walk through Chinatown into North Beach and a ferry ride to explore Angel Island would be my top three.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM
TC

You're right, dmlove. However, when we exited the ferry in Sausalito, there were signs for a mini bus tour to Muir Woods from there. Although the last ferry back to the Embarcadaro is 7:30, I believe we took one a bit later back to Fisherman's Wharf. Either way, we still had plenty of time to do and see all in a day, have an early dinner and watch the sunset as we returned across the bay.

Agree....the Chihuly exhibit is outstanding!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
dmlove

There is a slightly later ferry (Blue & Gold) on weekdays, and a much later one (8:50 p.m.) on Fridays only, according to this website.

http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/Ferr...edule_2008.cfm

Old Aug 5th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
ride a streetcar
Fisherman's Wharf
eat dinner somewhere on Belden Place
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM

SusieQ,

Sorry...here's more than 3!

Sir Francis Drake (SFD) is our fave lodging in SF. Be sure to go upstairs to Harry Denton's Starlight Lounge for a sunset drink and late night music/dancing. It's the quintessential SF experience!

Also, SFD has an excellent restaurant-Scala's Bistro that is located on the bustling street.

Take a walk at 6am through Chinatown to see the markets open all the way down to Washington Square Park to see the Chinese Tai Chi (what a sight) and up to the Coit Tower for outstanding views.

If you are there on a Saturday and MUST is to go to the Ferry Marketplace Building and Farmer's Market.

If you an Art fan, be sure to check out the MOMA and de Young Museums.

Do the Alcatraz tour combined with the boat ride that goes under the Golden Gate (we've been to SF dozens of times and the boat ride under the GG never gets old. And the view of the city is spectacular!).

Take a day trip over to Tiburon and/or Sausalito.

Dining: Dim Sum at Yank Sing, Roast Chicken at Zuni's.

Godd luck.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -