Search

Denver Hotel/ Rockies' Baseball Park Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2010, 10:19 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denver Hotel/ Rockies' Baseball Park Questions

Any opinions or information for a handy place to stay for a short 2 day Denver visit for seeing some Rockies' games?

Downtown hotel or lodging a must? We wouldn't have a car during this portion of the trip.

Thanks for any knowledge or experience offered.

We don't expect 4 star at all. Would prefer middling to smaller size entities but are not fussy with that aspect either. Location ease for the ball park and also for some other downtown outings or more restaurant choices is more important.

This is the very end of June 2011.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 11:39 AM

It certainly wasn't 4 stars, but we stayed at the Motel 6 on I-70 just west of I-25. It's very close to downtown, has an indoor pool, and was clean and cheap.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 01:54 PM

I have even stayed at that Motel 6 a LONG time ago. No reason to stay out there. Bid on Priceline for a downtown hotel and enjoy the downtown area along with that beautiful ballpark. There is also a LaQuinta not too far away.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:23 AM

Stay at a downtown hotel; a bit overbuilt as far as room numbers go, and if there's no car, no extra fee for parking (Coors Field is very easy to walk or bus).There's a new Embassy Suites (opened last week) across from the new Marriott, plus others. (I got the Convention Center downtown Marriott on PL this December for $55, first bid.)
Downtown is easy access to the 16th Street Mall, lots of dining, shopping, fun.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 08:36 AM

If without a vehicle, then staying downtown is fairly critical. And if you are there for a game, then downtown is your only realistic choice While Denver has a decent public transit system (and getting better) it doesn't go everywhere. You could stay in the Denver Tech area - SE along I-25 but make sure the hotel is within walking distance of a light rail station. The Motel 6 on I-70 is very close to downtown ONLY in the sense that it is a ten minute drive but not walkable in any sense of the word.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM

Oops, I missed the "no car" bit. In that case, do try to stay downtown or near the light rail.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 02:36 PM

I have stayed at a Ramada Inn on Colfax. You can take the bus to downtown (or walk - it's half a mile or so), then take the free 16th street bus to near the stadium.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM

It is still a LONG way. Look on Priceline.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 04:31 PM

Again, there are a BUNCH of new huge hotels in downtown, and you should be able to get a very nice room right near the (free bus) 16th street mall, which means a block or two to Coors Field. Downtown Denver has a surfeit of rooms, and you should be able to get a great price.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:27 PM

Coors Field is five blocks east of the 16th Street Mall. There is absolutely no reason to stay at the Ramada Inn - the savings is marginal.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Oh thanks everyone. I actually do Priceline, Hotwire or quikbook frrequently for these type of short USA city trips. And it looks like I have the good downtown center option on hotwire and on Priceline. Believe it or not, I just found that hotwire has a new feature, (to me and I just used that one for Pittsburgh)that tells you how close your "possible" hotel is from a feature. And Coors Field gave me lots of choices.

I'm very pleasantly surprised at the price ranges too. I think I'm going to like Denver. Can't wait. Thanks for all of your inputs.

Sorry I did not get back here quickly. Very busy- and yesterday was a Dad day rather gone wrong. It was my Grandmother's birthday and in memorative fashion the 92 year old Dad had to do shots as she would have been 122.

Because of seeing Col. only in winter before this, I really am looking forward to seeing some part of it in summer this time.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:18 PM

Please do NOT stay on Colfax and take the #15 bus to and from. That bus route is notorious for serving a very strange brew of folk. Seriously not that safe.

The furthest out I would recommend is the Warwick

I agree there are many good choices to stay downtown.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM

Please do NOT stay on Colfax and take the #15 bus to and from. That bus route is notorious for serving a very strange brew of folk. Seriously not that safe.

The furthest out I would recommend is the Warwick Hotel.

I agree there are many good choices to stay downtown. The Monaco is nice, but also further from Coors Field.

While in town, try the Chophouse right by Coors Field. It's in a cool historic building, with good food and service, and very decent prices.
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Oh, thanks, PeaceOut, we will do that for sure.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Bought the plane tickets today.

After doing some searching on the discount sites for hotels, I find that I have several more hotel questions. I am happily surprised at the great numbers of choices in Denver.

Has anyone any knowledge or experience of the Jet Hotel at 1612 Wazee? It sounds quirky and might be fun. No kids allowed.

I might do exactly as Sylvia did and bid on 4 star downtown on Priceline. hotwire and quikbook have few best deals, right now.

So you think Warwick is at the edge of being too far? I could get Monaco for a good price without doing much discount hopping/bidding etc. Is it particularly nice? We have been at a Sheridan the last two baseball trips and have had fabulous times. This Sheridan looks nice too. Marriott's look good too.

Any input further is welcome. Opinions or preferences, especially.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM

The Monaco is nice. It is on the other side of downtown than Coors field, but the free shuttle runs on the 16th street mall, so you would not need a car to get to the ballpark. Maybe book a room there to snag the deal, then keep looking if you want.

The Warwick is on the eastern fringe of downtown. It's nice, too, but the Monaco is probably nicer.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks so much, PeaceOut.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM

I've stayed at the Monaco and it is nice. Their restaurant Panzano on the ground level is very good. There is also a Courtyard on the 16th Street Mall as well as two Hyatts a couple of blocks off of 16th Street. You have a lot of options downtown. Good luck on finding a good deal!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM

I sure don't view Monaco as being on the other side of downtown. It is at 17th and Champa and Coors field is 20th and Blake. That is six blocks north and three blocks west of Coors fields. Hardly the other side of downtown. The problems with locals recommending hotels is that we rarely stay in a downtown hotel. The Jet looks interesting and the location is great. Just walk straight east on Wazee to the ball park.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM

"The Monaco . . . is on the other side of downtown than Coors field". What this means is that Coors Field is on the west side of downtown, and the Monaco is on the east side. Not sure why that point is important to challenge.

I have actually stayed at the Monaco. Wemused to throw a holiday party in their private wine cellar room. The food and service was always top notch.

It would not be inconvenient to stay at the Monaco. I personally like its location better than Wazee. I've never heard of the Jet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -