Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

With, or Without, Breakfast?

Search

With, or Without, Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2019, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer to have breakfast before I'm really acceptable for public viewing, so I like to find a hotel with mini-fridge to keep my yogurt or milk for cereal. I also like to brush my teeth after breakfast, and need to be close to a toilet after coffee.... So for all that, I like to have breakfast at the hotel, but in the privacy of my own room with fridge.

s
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 11:38 PM

It depends where I am - if I'm staying in a small village or out of the way place, Breakfast is important. I like to eat as soon as I get up so I don't want to be searching out somewhere or having to drive somewhere. If I'm in a city or town, I'm less concerned because we can pop out straight away.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Totally agree that it depends on the country and obviously the location.

Country – We've found that the hotel breakfasts in Asia are very tasty and incredible value. North America, not so much. We always try to check hotel reviews / photos of the breakfast spread before deciding.

Location – If you are staying in a central area with easy access to restaurants, it might make more sense to skip breakfast at the hotel and find a good restaurant near by.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 12:32 PM

Prefer not.

I have been charged too much in my opinion for hotel breakfasts. My hubby and I tend to be light breakfast eaters, so we can decide to eat in the hotel restaurant in the morning rather than be disappointed in a barely-there buffet paid for in advance.
I seem to remember paying EU 17 each for toast and store bought croissants with coffee, then discovering there was a lovely café two doors down.
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 01:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I just want a cup of coffee normally but in Germany the breakfast can be so good I will pay for it. If the cost is high forget it. The Victoria in Nurnberg had the best breakfast ever. I am not a fan of cereal, warm yoghurt and a few pastries. I would rather go out, walk around and hit up a good coffee shop even if on the road. I remember this one B&Bin Normandy that never put the yogurt up.It sat on the table. I ate a piece of toast. Premier Inn chain has a nice restaurant and they do a good breakfast that my husband likes. It is extra and you can decide each day if you want or not.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 05:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i'll look to have breakfast included at the majority of my hotels stays. i won't book until i-A) look at reviews posted with details regarding the food B) google map the area close by for other options C) find out what time the service begins. we tend to start our days early to maximize activity time so if breakfast isn't served until say 7:30, i'll find another choice. on some occasions, if we have a mini fridge, we'll pick up grocery items the night before-yogurt, fruit, muffin, etc-and do the in room eating before heading out. if you shop around properly, a breakfast included room can absolutely save you time and not be any more expensive than a room without the meal.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hotel breakfasts are generally undistinguished and overpriced. I book the no breakfast rate and always find a nearby source of same price much better sit down breakfast or a cheap do-it-yourself breakfast such as really nice pastry or yogurt. Our upcoming trip has an exception: The discounted no refund pay in advance hotel rate if booked through the hotel rather than the same price via online booking sites gave free breakfast, and the picture looks pretty good.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I look for included breakfasts when traveling in Europe - I read the reviews looking for comments on the breakfast, the more glowing the better. I love a good European (especially German) breakfast.

When in the US though, I don't give a fig about hotel offered breakfast because they're usually rubbish (at least in the category of hotel I tend to book in).

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 19th, 2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Hotel breakfasts give one autonomy - no waiting for a travel partner to be ready. I want my coffee now, thank you. (Will not make coffee in the room, just won’t do it.)

And I don’t care if I can save €5 by not including it ~ I’m on vacation!
YMMV
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 11:56 AM

It depends on how much is added breakfast included. I tend not to anymore now though, after tasting overpriced but disappointing meals. I'd rather research ahead where to eat outside the hotel and actually enjoy the beginning of the day, or just get a cup of coffee.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Generally U.S. hotel breakfasts are rubbish. Generally, Colombian and Peruvian breakfasts are not rubbish. Generally, Portuguese breakfasts are wonderful. Generally, so are South African breakfasts.

My biggest problem is that, generally, included breakfasts start too late. So in-room coffee or an all-day coffee dispenser in the lobby are generally more important than the included or not included breakfast. For my early starts, a refrigerator and all-day coffee (whether in the lobby or my room) are generally more important than the breakfast. Although sometimes, if the breakfast is really good, I'll stay in late just to take advantage.
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
(Will not make coffee in the room, just won’t do it.)

Hmmm... and I need at least one cup of coffee before I go out anywhere in public!!
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 06:03 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I have booked both but for the most part it's with breakfast. I don't eat a lot but like having the option of something quick. I don't get up early to go for a walk before I go out. I get up, go for breakfast then leave for the day. I don't like trying to find a place to get a drink or something to eat when I haven't been before. For me, finding a place is more work. When at home, I do not eat breakfast so why I do the opposite when traveling.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 04:53 AM

In the US, I always look at the kind of breakfast that is offered and will pay more for the lodging if the breakfast is good. Typically the ones with better breakfast are also nicer, so worth a little more money on both accounts.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by suze
(Will not make coffee in the room, just won’t do it.)

Hmmm... and I need at least one cup of coffee before I go out anywhere in public!!
Suze, You’re not old enough to remember Archie Bunker’s ““if bathroom water was supposed to be used for cooking, Edith, your kitchen would be in your toilet.””

But those words have stayed with me, obviously.

Last edited by VonVan; Jul 25th, 2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well how very sweet! You obviously think i am a lot younger than I am I'm not afraid of using a hotel coffee maker. Yes I rinse it out and run some hot water thru it a couple times before making a pot. You can bring your own coil, cup, and instant if that makes you feel more confident -lol!
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:56 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We like to have breakfast included, all other things being equal. We are not early risers. We prefer to eat at the hotel, return to our room to get ready for the day, and be gone until after dinner.

Some of the best breakfasts ever have been when traveling: The Avenida Palace in Lisbon, the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth in Vienna, Hotel Julia in Rome, Hotel Uhland in Munich, Park Plaza in Boston, etc.

Last edited by MoBro; Jul 30th, 2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 09:20 AM

I'm with MoBro. Unless I know there's a convenient breakfast place nearby, I want to be easily able to return to the room after breakfast for a pit stop, tooth brushing, and getting the materials needed for the long day ahead!
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 03:34 AM

Omg when I was just in Europe, not only was breakfast not included, but it was crazy expensive like 20€ & up. I didn't expect it to be included, but I didn't expect it to be that much either and did'nt plan this travel expenses 30€ at the hotel by the Louvre. I could get a crepe across the street for like 5/6€.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 12:25 AM

In my opinion not only it is usually cheaper to buy pastries or sandwiches in bakeries, together with coffee or tea, but you're also independent from hotel's breakfast hours. And you also try more local ingredients.
However this solution is not for people who cannot go outside with empty stomach - for them it's better to rent an apartment with kitchen and cook breakfast themselves. Rarely have I eaten good breakfast in hotel (maybe in those with 4+ stars).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -