WHat's the silliest thing you've bought on a trip?

Jun 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

WHat's the silliest thing you've bought on a trip?

Sorry in advance. While cleaning this weekend, I dusted a little trinket from my trip to Scotland placed on top of my computer. I claim not to go for knick-knacks, but I bought this. A tiny mottled dark green ceramic head and tail with 3 semicircular pieces in between that you place on a flat surface. It looks like Nessie is swimming along.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM

A Pope in a Snowstorm in Vatican City paper weight. It was for a joke gift but I kept it on my desk.
Sometimes I shake it to make it snow and watch the Pope wave.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM

Wooden shoes from Holland. I know, really cheesy, but it was our very first trip overseas! On the same trip, we bought a small Eiffel Tower statue too!! Gawd...
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM

bettyk,

You're admitting those on a public forum?
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM

Bright "Hawaiian print" skirt & top that I swear got gaudier by the minute as I flew home, with the tan fading by the minute as only Pacific Island tans can!

Arriving home to Melbourne's winter, I could only wonder who had secreted these items of indescribable garishness in my luggage
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:38 PM

uh.....bacon bits.....you know the packages of bacon bits you put on salads and potatoes!

Jun 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM

I love my little Tour Eiffel!
I usually buy pottery.
My "other" souvenir from Paris was a 4 euro divided serving dish from their version of Pier 1. Shoot me - I was excited to shop in Paris' version of Pier 1. I suppose that's "silly".
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM

Well I guess it was a duck like shaped thing covered in shells the first time we went to Hawaii. I threw it away some months later. What was I thinking?

Or maybe the bright and I mean bright red jump suit my loveable sister-in-law insisted I buy when we were shopping at Armand's Circle in FL. I didn't want it but she nagged and nagged. I think I only wore it twice before it went into the bag for the Disabled Vets. Bright red jumpsuits were not the style in N CA lol. I felt like a "lady of the night" the couple of times I wore it. But that purchase was not my fault.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM

Good question ninasdream.

I like most of the "knick- knacks" I've purchased on my trips. The one thing I think is silly was something my son picked up in Hawaii. It's a glass ball with a ocean scene in it. I hate it and he keeps it on his night stand just to mock me...lol.

bettyk...I bought a small Eiffel Tower statue too. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Jun 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM

I didn't even think my little Eiffel tower was cheesy or my wooden shoes. I made the shoes into planters for my outdoor step, they were cute for a while.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
BKP

I'll see your Eiffel Tower, and raise you an Arc de Triomphe, a Big Ben, a Colosseum, a Vatican, a Trevi Fountain, Sacre Couer, Notre Dame, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Stonehenge, Brandenburger, and Sagrada Familia statues. They may be silly (read: tacky) but I think they are funny. I told my husband I'm going to set up my own little world and then crash through it like King Kong. He doesn't see the humor in it.

nina -- this is a fun thread. I love everybody else's contributions too. Isn't it funny how our brains work differently on vacation?
Jun 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM

A hot pink t-shirt with giant flamingos on it (from Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas). I wear it when gardening to scare away the bugs.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:31 AM

While on Kauai I go caught up in the whole Hilo Hatties thing and came back with several shirts that are probably a bit much for the mainland.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:42 AM

I wonder if anybody is going to own up to a "leaning tower of Pisa" from the world's most tacky souvenier stalls ?
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:47 AM

A laminated piranha on a wooden stand from Rio, with its mouth open and sharp teeth showing.

Definitely my worst purchase.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:49 AM

So far the Pope in a Snowstorm is my favorite.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
cd

Evil-eye pins from Greece.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM

Betty, I have the same souvenirs for myself, and I don't think they're silly items at all.

I don't think any of my nick knacks are silly. Not even the pink feathery flamingo pen I got from the Flamingo hotel in Vegas.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:53 AM

Hats made from huge mushrooms from Budapest! Really!

I brought them to our son and son-in-law.

I admit that our Eiffel Tower, gondola, Colosseum, Swiss cowbell, etc. hang on our Christmas tree every year.

And next time in Rome I'm buying a Pope in a Snowstorm!

Byrd
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM

A Chinese rubbing of a temple wall somewhere in China. It must be 8 feet long and 2 feet wide. I have it hanging in my office at work. Then there is that door knocker, I bought in Tibet.It's still in a drawer. I also have a couple of those things the Egyptians wrap around their heads. I use it as a table throw once in a while. No matter how tacky a trinket is, if it brings back great memories of an awesome trip, it's worth its weight in gold in my opinion.

Search this Thread