Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

What is the best (easiest) prepaid debit card for international use?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a prepaid card that will DEFINITELY work in ATMs in both Costa Rica and France. Or, if there are different types that work best in each country, that's fine, too.
Thank you in advance for your advice!
-Stephanie
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd do better to post on the Caribbean and Europe boards.

I know nothing about pre-paid cards, but my Capital One ATM card (for an online account) has worked in every country I've tried it, including France.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no suggestions for a prepaid card, but if you find one check the fees <i>very</i> carefully! Some charge fees for everything under the sun and it really limits their value.

Also, talk to your local bank/credit union. Sometimes you can set up a separate account with $XX in it and limit it so that it will not allow any overdrafts. That would essentially act the same as a prepaid card.

No matter what you get check what network the cards use. My parents had issues using their ATM cards in Kenya as theirs were on the Cirrus (I think) network. Mine was a debit card and on the Visa network and I've never had issues with it anywhere. That's a good question for the France/Costa Rica boards... what networks are posted on most ATM's?

Be sure to alert thecard issuer ahead of time that the card will be used internationally. If you don't, they'll generally assume it's fraud and block all activity. It takes a phone call from the card owner to fix it and that isn't always possible immediately.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why do you want/need a pre-paid card? They have pretty high fees and give you woeful exchange rates. A regular, run-of-the-mill ATM/Debit card would be better.