Naive question about cell phones in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to ask for help because I'm heading for Europe next April and May and I'll face the issue. But my problem is I'm so technically naive I don't even know what some of the jargon means! So please bear with me...

I've got a traditional older generation cell phone here in the US, that does nothing but let me make and receive phone calls. I have a monthly plan with Verizon that includes about 10 times the "minutes" I ever use, but it's the cheapest they'll sell me! I don't use the phone to take pictures or surf the web or anything else like that and I see no need ever to do so, during my remaining lifetime!

But once I'm in Europe next April, I'll be moving about all over the place, alone, using my one-month Eurailpass to see Europe from a train window, until my wife joins me in Barcelona in May. While I'm on my own, I can imagine needing to keep in touch with my wife back home, because I need to watch my health carefully (different thread) and let her know I'm ok. I will also, in all likelihood, want to leave hostels till the last minute, and phone ahead maybe a day or two in advance to inquire about open beds, etc.

I envision traveling all over the 22 countries the pass will allow me to reach. For sure, Norway is on the list, and I'm considering eastern Europe, including such destinations as Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, Istanbul, and perhaps Sofia, Beograd, Zagreb, and Ljubljuana!

So help me out here, folks. What exactly do I need to do, to be able to do all that? I assume that using any device to check email and surf the internet means I'd need not only the device itself but also a subscription to some service that actually sends internet signals to my phone from Mars or wherever the satellites really are. So I don't just buy the device and the sim card, do I? I also buy "a plan", like I pay for now through the nose to Verizon, monthly till I die?!

Hey I told you I was naive!
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM

mobal.com cheap and easy if you need to be infrquent contact.
SIM cards/roaming charges for all those countries would be a costly nightmare Even cheaper Skype for me if you decide to buy bring a tablet or a netbook what I do but there are many pretty cheap options there or you can use local computers.There are also calling cards like pennytalk.com very cheap.I NEVER make a call from a hotel phone over there charges are astounding.Cheap calling centers pretty cheap
in big cities also but I like Skype.

Good luck!
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 01:40 PM

For two months of use, I'd just buy a cell phone in Europe. You can top the phone up when you need to and make all the local calls you need. I find Mobal phones pretty expensive, but some people like them.

For calling home, use a phone card in a pay phone. The cell phone is a good source to reach you in an emergency, but few phones will give you favorable rates for international calling.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will you be taking a laptop or iPad? If so, look into Skype. Otherwise I agree with Doug. Either buy a phone over eBay here (or maybe from a supplier direct - I bought mine off the Motorola website), or when you get to Europe. If you buy here, the magic words are: "quad-band, unlocked". You'll need a SIM for the phone. You can buy a "universal" SIM here, from ekit.com or telestial.com, or when you get to Europe. However, if you buy one in Europe it will be a country-specific SIM, so you'll be roaming in other countries.

BTW, for your needs in the US, you'd likely be better off with tracfone.com rather than Verizon.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

OK thx for the replies so far. As I understand you, I buy a phone once I'm in Europe and that covers (ie provides) everything I need? The device (phone), the sim card, and the data sent to it via whichever company sends it to me? Cool...