Search

Summer family trip....your Choice ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer family trip....your Choice ?

Hi !
Like almost every summer we will do a family trip in july-August. We have 50 days of vacation and budget ( more or less 300 euro by day) for travel 25-30 days.

I wont tell which places we have gone before just to keep options coming.

A bit of informations about our kids:
1) They are 7 & and 11 years old (a girl and a boy)
2) They love: Playground, swiming (pool or beaches), small theme park (they dont go in mega roller coaster), interactive and science museums
3) Food: they are very open minded but dont like seafood or sushi but they eat cooked fish.

About us:
We love history and are foodies (we love local and international food, craft beer and wine).
We can tolerate some heat without too much problem (the same goes for the kids). but more than 90's everyday and every time of the day is quickly dragging for us and the kids.

So one question:

With that time frame and specific time of the year where would you go ? I know it's fairly large question but I want to get all the options
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 02:18 PM

Why don’t you want to tell us where you’ve been before? Doing so, will prevent people making redundant suggestions. For example, if you already have been to Disney World it does you no good if people give you that suggestion.

Since you mentioned a budget in Euros I assume you are Europe’s but where will you be traveling from? Speaking of budget, does your 300 Euros/day include airfare or other transportation costs or is it just for accommodations? What about meals and activities?

Do you want to limit your travel to Europe or are you willing to travel abroad even if it means spending more of your budget on airfare?

ARe you thinking of spending all your time in one general area or do you envision traveling to multiple destinations?
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi RoamsAround !

I didn't want to tell where we have been before because we wre curious about what answers we would get. but :

Before having kids (with or without my wife)
- New-York and Boston
- Across Canada from East to west
- Poland
- Czech Republic
- London (only two nights)
- Paris
- Alsace
- Amsterdam
- Belgium
- Italy (Rome, Florence and Venice...last year without kids)

with Kids
- Chicago and Michigan
- Washington, Boston and Philadelphia
- Germany
- Salzburg
- Portugal
- Catalonia

We are from Montreal,. I have givien our budget in Euro because I was assuming we would go back there but we are very open minded about our destination. The budget (450 cdn) doesnn't include airfare but include everything else. We have always manage to do it with taht amoeunt and even less.. Over the years we have done a mix of hotel, airbnb, car rental, train, buses, home cooking and restaurants.

About destinations, we have stayed in a region (Catalonia for 16 days) and we have also done travel in multiple destinations and both fits the bill.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 06:04 PM
kja

I must admit that I find it frustrating to see post after post asking for input about where to go. Your recent posts include:
Japan in summer ?
Help us find our next trip !
https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...-trip-1657215/
By all means, continue to post and seek advice, but, at some point, it might be to your advantage to come up with some ideas on your own!

There are four of you. Even your youngest is old enough to have ideas. Consider making it a family task to go to your local library or bookstore and come up with ideas that actually intrigue one or more of you!

Good luck!
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think YOU should decide where you want to go and the ask for some actual / useful advice and not these pointless questions.

​​​​​​​
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Ideas of our own ? This is exactly what I have done in all the post you pointed to.....just head straight over my future posts.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 09:21 PM
kja

Oh, THAT's why we now have an option to add posters to an "ignore" list! Doing so now....
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad you posted where you have been because I was going to recommend Philadelphia, D.C,, Boston, and NY.
It really would help if you could at least narrow it down to what region you want to visit. That would allow us to better assist you.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 07:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I like your Japan idea. We went with three kids - 15,12 and 8. In August. Yes it was hot. I’m amazed how much people talk about the heat here. Go out in the morning. Go out in the evening. Find a pool. Go to the mountains. Climb Mount Fuji. Whatever. You can deal with it. It can be really hot in Montreal too.

Stay in a roykan. The kids will love it. Take a bullet train. See some temples. Visit the Hiroshima Peace Park. Have the kids get by in neither French nor English. Take the ferry to South Korea for a few days.

Last edited by xcountry; Oct 18th, 2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:17 AM

How about touring Greece and the Greek Islands?
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 04:31 PM

Take a nice, long cruise. Your kids are a perfect age for it. Book one with an interesting itinerary and a good kids program.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mexico. Go to Mexico. One month is a good amount of time. If you go to the colonial cities it will be cooler than the coastal ones.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 06:57 PM

Bonjour les Québécois!

Moi ça ne me dérange pas du tout que vous demandez des idées sur ce forum; au contraire c'est amusant å lire!

I have 6 weeks with children to plan as well in Europe next summer and I have been going back and forth about a lot of areas. I can tell you what areas I have been considering: (and obviously I won't do all of it):

-I love Greece and it would be my fifth trip back. This time I am thinking of Koufonisia, Folegandros and Naxos. I would allow 1.5-2 weeks. I might do a combo of land base and renting a sailboat again with Archipel Club for 4 days.

-I never have explored the Cotswolds, the beautiful English countryside. I would like to spend a week in Bourton-on -the water and take a few walks from there like exploring upper and lower Slaughter, Bibury ...

-I am interested in exploring the Italian lakes, especially Lake Orta and Lake Lugano. I only know Lake Como and I love Varenna. But this time I would interested in spending some time in Orta San Giulio.

It is inevitable that I will be transitioning through a few great cities. And while they are not the focus, I would like to spend time in Paris and Venice again.

In the back of my mind, I also have a Croatia trip (never been), a repeat Dordogne trip, Annecy trip and I have never properly explored La Côte d'Azur and though about spending a week in St Tropez, never been (apparently the core is pedestrian friendly).

Please let us know what you decide in the end
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 06:39 PM

The best way to enjoy a summer break is to go out and explore.rip
after reading your post, A trip to INDIA will be great as it has historical places, temples , monuments, may ny amusement parts,wildlife sanctuaries and traditional cultures good food.

hope you will enjoy.
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Visiting Charleston

I would visit Charlestown, North Carolina in the springtime. There are so many activities to do and it's not too hot. You can visit the beach or go downtown, it's awesome!
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 02:09 PM

Hi! With a budget of 300 EUR per day, you can have a blast in Turkey (Alanya, Antalia, Marmaris, but have in mind July/August are pretty hot and humid). Another option would be Greece, on the Halkidiki peninsula, or the islands of Corfu, Santorini and Mykonos. The last one I can recommend, and it may be the best option too, is taking on a Mediterranean cruise! Cruise lines sometimes have great deals, plus there is so much to do on board, and so many places to see in such a short time. Whatever you decide to do, have fun and maybe let us know where you ended up going and how was the whole experience. Have fun!
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 03:16 AM

Maybe Greece!
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 04:32 AM

So have you considered the Vancouver/Seattle/Portland and the coast of OR/WA? Plenty to see/do there, go to to CA or US forums and look for TRs for the area.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 08:27 AM

You know your family better than us, so you should definitely together decide where you want to go.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 08:22 AM

hi. have you been to Turkey? There are lots of amazing all-inclusive resorts there. we had so much fun there last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -