Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Planning for trips - is it a chore or a joy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

A joy for me!

I enjoy the planning as much as I enjoy the trip!

I get antsy when/ if I don't have a trip to plan!

What about you?
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoy the research that goes into deciding where and when to go. And then the research about where to stay, where to eat, and what to do once a destination is chosen.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes I enjoy the research so much, I don't bother to go on the trip.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
For me, it's part joy/part chore, because I'm the designated planner for the family. I get ansty about air fare.

Last night, I made plane reservations for Christmas, as the lowest-fare flights are already selling out on Southwest. Will also reserve today, for DS and DIL, as their Christmas present from us. Won't need a car or hotel for this trip, so that makes it easy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the research and when I get to my destination I know enough to be my own tour guide.

So when I get a Private Tour Guide ,it is a bonus.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I enjoy the trip more than the planning. And I feel fine if I am not planning a trip.

What I do like about planning a trip is that I am in control and not someone else.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
Hahahahahaha!

I canceled my 2008 trip to Italy when my schnauzer got sick. I had no idea it would be nine years before I would be able to take it (thanks, recession!). The 21 day plan was tweaked to 16 days and also to include my new travel partner's interests and preferences. But it was an excellent overall plan and it was a dream come true to actually be on the long-delayed trip. The most anticipated lodging turned out to be better than I even imagined. First read about it on slowtrav almost 20 years ago. Used LoveItaly's private driver for the Amalfi coast. Hope to redo parts of that trip again.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never do much research or planning. So it is neither a chore nor a joy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:05 AM

lol. I'm not sure if you are joking but there have been plenty of trips that we've researched that we ended up not going on. And a few that were all booked that we ended up not going on (for various reasons).
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom42
lol. I'm not sure if you are joking but there have been plenty of trips that we've researched that we ended up not going on. And a few that were all booked that we ended up not going on (for various reasons).
That happens to me more often than I'd like, most recently with Barcelona.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:24 AM

I think planning is fun. I enjoy reading about where I'm going and deciding where to stay and making a list of some restaurants I might like to try and things I want to do and see. I don't enjoy researching the logistics of transportation options for wherever I'm headed. I do all the airfare and hotel booking and any restaurant reservations, and my husband does all the transportation research.

I'm taking a trip with three of my siblings and my brother's fiance and one of my niece's in March. We found cheap airfare to Paris. I'm not sure how that trip is going to go. They've all traveled in various groups together, but I haven't joined them on any of their trips. I'm kind of surprised I decided to come along on this trip, but I figured it would be fine since I've been to Paris a couple of times and am happy to do my own thing, and I don't really care where we stay.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. We never plan restaurants in advance of taking the trip. I can't imagine planning each day in that much detail. We prefer to wander where we please each day, according to the weather and our preferences. We eat when we happen to be hungry, deciding from menus of interesting places. It's a process that has served us well.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:43 AM

I do most of the advance planning and I’ve always loved ferreting out that perfect, charming, reasonably priced accommodation. I love the hunt and I’m pretty good at it with a few exceptions.

But for this upcoming trip the accommodation aspect really was a struggle. We have nine stops, and there is now so much choice available that it was getting overwhelming. I even had a blasted spreadsheet.

The Michelin maps came today, so DH will take over the finer points of getting us from place to place, he’s sitting here poring over one right now. He likes that aspect of planning, and he’s good at it.

If neither of us enjoyed the detailed planning, we wouldn’t be travelling or we’d go on a tour.

So yes, it’s exciting planning a trip!
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:47 AM

That happens to me more often than I'd like, most recently with Barcelona.
Oh you should take that trip to Barcelona. That was one we researched, booked and went on and we loved it. I've done a lot of research on Lisbon but never ended up booking. Same for Bangkok and Phuket. We had an entire trip booked to Madrid about 11 years ago in February and about a week before we decided we didn't want to stomp around a cold, rainy city and canceled the whole trip and booked a trip to Acapulco instead.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:14 AM

Like tom42 said, I enjoy the planning process, researching hotels, restaurants and activities. Gets me excited for the destination. What’s funny is we are just as likely to ditch our plans once we arrive and just go with the flow of the day as it unfolds.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by tom42
us too. Sometimes I forget we didn’t go.
we plan very minimally compared to many here, and if it’s not a joy we don’t do it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curiousgeo
Like tom42 said, I enjoy the planning process, researching hotels, restaurants and activities. Gets me excited for the destination. What’s funny is we are just as likely to ditch our plans once we arrive and just go with the flow of the day as it unfolds.
But with the planning, you know what your options are.
I do the same.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:46 AM

I do all of the planning and I generally enjoy it but the internet allows me to obsess over the minutiae and lose sight of the bigger picture. It's something I struggle with because it can negatively impact a trip. I don't really preplan what we'll be doing but I like to be aware of as many options as possible.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:56 AM

Love the planning. I plan daily itineraries. This works well with my personal style and meshes with the people I usually travel with.

I never plan restaurants. I know a few people who make all their restaurant plans ahead of time because they are so excited to try various restaurants. I have planned a trip around a restaurant before, but unless it is the primary reason for the trip, I don't much care where I eat.
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the trip much more than the planning. I plan very little, although I generally do some restaurant research—rarely make reservations in advance but I like to get a read on the food/restaurant culture of where I am going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -