Need a little advice on newbie traveling overseas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little advice on newbie traveling overseas

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie to international travel.

I'm hoping to take my elderly Dad to see his and my kin back home in Manila. I have bonus miles that are coming to me and want to use that (AA) to take the first leg of the trip from ORD to Tokyo, then take a flight to Manila using a different carrier (AA doesn't go to the Philippines, I think). Could you give me some advice on booking the flights - do I need to book them myself or should I use a travel agent or maybe Expedia/CheapoAir? How do you do this and how can I best be sure that we get to our connections, as well as be able to maneuver an 86-year-old gentleman through the airport terminals?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a matter of your comfort level.

You could use a travel agent, or you could book it yourself researching online. I use Expedia to find the various flight options, but then prefer to book directly with the airlines own website when I purchase the ticket.

As far as airport terminals, there are options for help if your Dad would be willing to be assisted with a wheelchair. Or there are motorized carts that take people who need help place to place. You need to request this from your airlines in advance.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 10:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You might want to post on the Air Travel forum.

BTW -- While AA doesn't fly into the Philippines, they have partner airlines that do. W/o looking up who flies where I'm pretty sure at least Cathay Pacific serves Manilla.

So -- use the pull down menu to move over to the Air Travel board and post your questions there.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use AA FF miles on any One World carrier - probably Cathay Pacific or Qantas for Manila. Go over the Airline board and ask for help - this board is just for general travel info. No need for a travel agent.

Also, you want all the legs of your trp on the same ticket, so you are protected if the first flight is delayed.

You can definitely arrange for help from the airline, but you need to let them know ahead of time.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:06 PM

<(AA) to take the first leg of the trip from ORD to Tokyo, then take a flight to Manila using a different carrier >

If you book these yourself, DO NOT book them as separate trips on separate airlines. Go to AA.com or Expedia or whatever and enter your departure city and then Manila as your destination. You want all the flights linked together on one itinerary, even if the carriers are not all AA. (They may be AA partners, though, and that's fine.)
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 04:10 PM

I would book with the airlines directly. Is there a reason you haven't just called AA's Advantage Customer Service? In my experience they are actually fairly decent.

Doing research on Expedia or with a travel agent doesn't tell you much if anything about what your miles will get you in real life.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:51 PM

You know, I don't think you can use Expedia or such online to book with airline miles. The OP should just call AA.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Of course not!