Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Have you ever eaten at a domestic chain while abroad?

Search

Have you ever eaten at a domestic chain while abroad?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2019, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got pizza delivered to Mena House Hotel from a Pizza Hut near Cairo. We had been traveling for 20 hours with 2 kids and were exhausted and hungry. There was an ad for Pizza Hut in our hotel room. They even spoke English when we called. Even in 2001 pre 9/11, security to get pizza into hotel was tight; husband had to meet delivery guy outside hotel entrance as they would not let him in. Our first evening in Cairo was spent on balcony overlooking pyramids eating pizza and drinking bad wine in little bottles provided on EgyptAir flight.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, but while in Haifa my traveling companions were thrilled to see a McDonald's and enjoyed their burgers and fries.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 05:03 AM

Yes we have but not very often.

There was a series on the food channel I think called Fast Foods Gone Global which notes some of our ff chains alter their menu to appeal to local tastes. That would be interesting to try such as McD’s Maharajah burger in India. If we were out and about and wanted a quick lunch I would try it.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Aug 14th, 2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 06:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Does eating at Pret a Manger count as "eaten at a domestic chain" for me ??? since I'm from the USA.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by suze
Does eating at Pret a Manger count as "eaten at a domestic chain" for me ??? since I'm from the USA.
Not really. It started life in the U.K. and is now owned by a German company.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 09:42 AM

I just think this question needs to be more clearly worded. If everyone on this forum was from the United States it would make sense as is, but they are (thankfully) not.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 09:55 AM

McD's when we wanted something quick and cheap--maybe 6 times total in our 20+ years of travel to mostly Italy and France.

Pret a manger in Bologna not realizing it is a chain. Wimpy's in England in 1969 and then again in the 1990's when we finally saw one. One in Paris that we saw again in Montpelier..Entrecote??? Can't remember.

Otherwise, we try to find local places. Part of the fun of travel, yes?
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 06:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I just think this question needs to be more clearly worded. If everyone on this forum was from the United States it would make sense as is, but they are (thankfully) not.

I think the question is pretty universal -- Lots of countries have domestic chains -- so a Brit eating at a Pret in NYC is eating at a UK chain restaurant overseas, a Yank eating at Burger King in Munich is eating at a US chain restaurant overseas, a Japanese visitor eating at Beard Papa's in Manhattan is eating at a Japanese chain restaurant overseas.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Getting of the train at Versailles we had to pee and saw a McDonald's. Based on a famous guidebook author's advice we took advantage of that. Then of course felt obligated to purchase something, So we bought a reasonably good cappuccino and croissant.

Ate in a pizza hut in Singapore once because coworkers wanted to go there. Absolutely horrible.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nelson

Ate in a pizza hut in Singapore once because coworkers wanted to go there. Absolutely horrible.
So just like every other Pizza hut in the world -)
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 03:37 PM

Lots of countries have domestic chains --

I know that.

So it's only a "domestic chain" when it is from your own home country? That was my question. If I, as American, eat in a British domestic chain, then that doesn't count for this survey?
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Lots of countries have domestic chains --

I know that.

So it's only a "domestic chain" when it is from your own home country? That was my question. If I, as American, eat in a British domestic chain, then that doesn't count for this survey?
Let's not get all anal about this. It's just a fun question. If you want to get all nitpicky, is it really considered a domestic chain if it's a locally-owned franchise?
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 07:53 PM

My understanding is has anybody eaten at a chain that could be considered home.

For example Dunkin Donuts is in many European countries. I've no idea why but they exist.

You visit one because it's "American"

The same sort of thing for Starbucks.

OTOH Costa from the UK would be a British chain. I guess someone from the UK visiting Spain and picking a Costa over a Starbucks would fit the question
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 09:14 PM

I'm also confused by the question. If you are in France (whether living or visiting), something "domestic" is French. Like a domestic flight from Paris to Nice, for instance.

So do you mean, do you eat at chain restaurants at home and abroad?

Or do you mean, do you eat at American chain restaurants while abroad?

Thankfully, for me, neither. If I want fast food, I'll have a crepe or a sausage. If I want a coffee, I'll go to a cafe or a Konditerei.

s
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 04:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Costa has decent coffee and a bathroom, save your receipt, the bathroom code is on the bottom. I was surprised to see Dunkin in Nurnberg the last visit.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by baldone
Let's not get all anal about this. It's just a fun question. If you want to get all nitpicky, is it really considered a domestic chain if it's a locally-owned franchise?
I agree. You can kill anything by overanalyzing.
This isn't a thesis being presented. Chill.

Old Aug 16th, 2019, 06:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I took the question to be "Do you ever eat at chains from your own home country when traveling overseas?"

(But the question is not really fleshed out -- so its open to ALL SORTS of interpretations)
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 12:49 PM

That is the wording I was hoping for, janisj. For clarity in replies.
And especially if they are fishing around for material to use in articles or guidebooks. Questions should be more precise.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 05:45 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I do when I want something cheap and quick. I know I can get ice in my drinks and for the most part, know what I can expect. The McDonald's in Paris though is not very good but elsewhere has been ok. You can't beat the fried apple pies that are no longer made in the US but not all have them. I never eat Pizza Hut pizza at home but for some reason in Edinburgh I do. I even went to TGIF in Edinburgh as they had a sandwich on the menu that was no longer on the US menu.

I am not familiar with chains outside the US being in the US. Yes I have tried chain food overseas. Some I like and some I don't.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sassy27
I do when I want something cheap and quick. I know I can get ice in my drinks and for the most part, know what I can expect. The McDonald's in Paris though is not very good but elsewhere has been ok. You can't beat the fried apple pies that are no longer made in the US but not all have them. I never eat Pizza Hut pizza at home but for some reason in Edinburgh I do. I even went to TGIF in Edinburgh as they had a sandwich on the menu that was no longer on the US menu.

"I am not familiar with chains outside the US being in the US." Yes I have tried chain food overseas. Some I like and some I don't.
I know of only one. Its a Phillipino chicken franchise called Jollibee. I have seen them in Asia, Singapore I think. There is one in a Chicago suburb and I think that was chosen due to the large Phillipino in the area. It is hard to break into the chicken franchise business here with KFC, Popeyes, Browns, etc. Jollibee is pretty good IMHO. It has its own taste. I do think there are several on the west coast, a few on the east coast and a few in Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -