Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Buying insurance, do I have a pre-existing condition?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought airfare to London a few weeks ago and realized I didn't have the option to purchase insurance. Now, it's too late to buy it through the British Airways website, it says it has to be purchased within 2 weeks of buying the airfare.

Also, I have had a bad flare-up of tendonitis and don't know if I will be able to go on this trip in September. Is this a "pre-existing condition"? I've had this for 1 year, it has gotten better but has flared up again, making walking difficult. Is there a way to buy insurance now? If so, do I need to buy one that doesn't have pre-existing conditions? I have found one on insuremytrip.com that is $89 and says:
Sudden Recurrence of Pre-Existing Conditions:Covered
Pre-Existing Condition Period: None

It is through: HTH Worldwide, Plan Name: TravelGap Silver

Is this what I want? Thanks for any help...
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Also, what does this mean: The HTH Worldwide TravelGap Silver plan has the following coverage limitations:

Trip Cancellation coverage is not available
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I found another one thru the same company that is $16 and has the same info about pre-existing conditions being covered and pre-existing condition period: none.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it doesn't cover trip cancellation, what does it cover? Don't you need cancellation coverage?

And yes, you have a pre-existing condition, which is generally only covered if you buy insurance within 14 days of paying for your trip.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Any insurance policy that costs only $16 would seem to be one that doesn't offer very much. That is a really, really low premium.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

I assume the first one is only for medical bills, lost luggage, expenses incurred etc. etc. when traveling. $16 does seem low but it is a medical-only related policy, perhaps that's why it's low?
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Maybe you can post the links for the policies you are considering. However, you need to answer the following questions:

Do you want trip cancellation? Trip interruption? Can you afford to self-insure for those costs?

Do you need medical coverage? I have a very hard time believing in any kind of medical coverage that only costs $16. My US medical insurance covers me for emergencies while traveling, does yours?

Does the policy include evacuation/repatriation?

Note that you are unlikely to need coverage for theft.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:58 PM

No, you cannot get cancellation coverage that excludes pre existing conditions. It sounds as if you have priced a medical only policy. If you are looking for a policy that will reimburse you for the cost of your airfare only, then you won't find it. But medical only coverage does typically cost more than $16.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

I called and bought trip cancellation coverage that includes pre-existing conditions for $100. Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM

That's very interesting. Care to share the link/name of company?
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Britomart, I'm also very curious about the company, and I'd also like to know the name. It's very unusual to find a policy that covers preexisting conditions after the first week after purchase of an airline ticket or vacation package. I'd like more people to know about this. It's a problem that vexes travelers more often than you might expect.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 06:54 AM

I'm also curious to why the medical insurance coverage is so low, maybe you've just stumble across a great rate but I'm a bit skeptical about the quality - mostly because I'm unfamiliar with the company.

I recently found http://www.travelinsurance.org/guide...cal-insurance/ but it says:

"Unfortunately, if you have current health issues, your travel medical insurance policy will not assist in any emergency related to your condition."
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

This is it: Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector

I just noticed it has a 180 day pre-existing condition period... Which, I think means they can look at my medical records for 180 days before I purchased the insurance? Which, should be okay because my records will show that I was able to travel.

Hopefully I won't need to use it. And, hopefully if I do need to use it, I bought the correct thing...

The guy I spoke to said that it had to be bought within 21 days of the initial trip payment.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:51 AM

So long as you bought it within 21 days, it looks good. Congratulations. I didn't read the whole thing, but did find this WRT pre-existing conditions:

"the policy is purchased within 21 days of the initial Trip deposit. The booking for the Trip must be the first and only booking for this travel period and destination, You are not disabled from travel at the time You pay the premium, and You must purchase this policy for the full non-refundable cost of Your Trip"

"The first and only booking" bit would make this a non-starter for me, assuming I wanted this kind of coverage. I usually make multiple bookings.