Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iguazu: Advice for short stay?

Spending two nights at Iguazu falls in late Nov this year:

Nov 24: RIO-IGU (Foz do Iguacu) on the Brazil side, land at 15:30pm
Nov 25: Free Day
Nov 26: Depart IGR (Puerto Iguazu) on the Argentina side, leave at 11:45am

Questions:

On Day 1, do I still have time to visit the Brazil side of the Fall. When does the part close at the Brazil side?

Option 1:
If I still have time, then maybe it's best for me to book hotel on Brazil side for both nights. On Day 2, do the Argentina side (without the luggage). Then on the 3rd day go to IGR from Brazil side. The trouble is I'll be crossing the border for 3 times.

Option 2:
If no time on Day 1 to tour the Brazil side, I might as well go directly to Argentina side, spend two nights there before departing IGR.

I want to go w/ Option 1 so I can tour both Brazil and Argentina side. Is this wishful thinking?? Any other better option?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:13 AM

We visited both side last November and generally preferred the Brazilian side for its panoramic views although both sides were amazing, so don't miss the Brazil side if at all possible. I am pretty sure the parks are open quite late for some of the nightime walks especially around full moon time but you should be able to check this online or in a decent guidebook. As long as your plane is on time ( a big if in South America!) I don't think you will have a problem visiting the falls on arrival. Allow a couple of hours to view the falls.

It is around an hour by bus from Iguazu to Foz less by car. (Immigration was v. quick). If I were in your position, I think I would leave Foz early for Iguazu, dump luggage at hotel and get straight off to the falls.

You have options of inc. tours to the falls (I think $60AR) or get the bus which is pretty straightforward as the bus station is right in the centre of town and buses are frequent.

I don't know if teh Sheraton is in you price range but it is situated right next to the falls and this would make life a lot easier. If you didn'yt make it to the falls on day one then you could do the Brazil side first thing on day 2 and then get a cab to the sheraton and simply walk around to the falls from there. Hope this helps a little
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks that's very helpful. I am also thinking...

Maybe, upon landing on the Brazil side, I can immediately go to the Brazilian park and store my luggage there. After touring the Brazilian side I can just go to the Argentina side for two nights.

Is it possible for me to store luggage while doing the Brazil side on Day 1? I can only find the website for the argentina park but not the brazil one...
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM

I do not know the answer to your question (you are correct about the storage in the Arg. side) but we left our luggage with a remis driver and we spent a couple hours in the park - he then met us and drove us to our next destination.

This sounds a bit chancy, even as I write it, but somehow it seemed fine at the time - and was. Perhaps there is a driver service (or even a tour guide?) you could use that first day as your last plan sounds like such a good one.

Enjoy these incredible Falls. ~Marnie
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

thx. it appears that the Brazilian park does offer luggage storage service. so I'll go w/ my last plan...