Staying Safe in Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2009, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, fellow Fodorites! After my last trip home, I realized it would be a good idea to prepare a brief list of do's and dont's for people traveling to Buenos Aires. Having my mum's home broken into in the 30 minutes it took us to go out to buy icecream, and the fact that a visibly pregnant girlfriend got violently robbed as she exited an ATM at noon in Recoleta have highlighted my sense that--while the city is great--visitors should be aware of its dangers. I'm getting things started with three tips.

1. As far as possible, instead of hailing taxis in the street, try to use cab companies (they can be what we call "radio taxis" or "remisses"). You call them on the phone, and they come pick you up.

2. Avoid wearing expensive watches and/or jewelry. The only thing I wear when I go home is my wedding band and fake pearl earrings. Ditto with regards to flashing Blackberries or iPhones.

3. I think the best advice for ATMs is to go during bank operation hours, using those ATMs located inside the bank. If that is not possible--especially if you are a woman--try to have a friend accompany you.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM

Actually #2 and #3 are good ideas anywhere. I don't think in terms of being so much as losing jewellery - I'd hate to remember my trip as the one where I lost my favourite piece of jewellery. And the ATM thing - I've had one or two situations where the ATM doesn't work - best to be inside a bank if that happens.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM

I always suggest #1 and I agree that #2 & #3 are good ideas anywhere.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM

http://tangoinhereyes.blogspot.com/2...nos-aires.html

I came across this the other day .. funny and true. Especially the safari thing lol
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM

There are banks that are open on Sundays, on Las Heras and other streets that are busy and safe. You don't always have to go during business hours.

I doubt pearls would be on the list of items the thieves here want, but if you think fakes are going to make a difference, think again. These are not jewel thieves like in a movie, they are rough young thugs who will yank off your jewelry/purse/whatever and not care if they hurt you in the process. So if it shines or looks expensive, don't wear it, regardless of fake or genuine. Or Chinatown Designer bag or real designer bag.
They are mainly interested in Rolex watches and cameras, iPhones and cash.

You can hail a Radio Taxi on the street. I have lived here 2 years now, I take radio cabs and the non-radio cabs every day.
Too bad about your friend.

What neighborhood is your mums home in ?
How did they get in?
and where was the bank where your friend was robbed?
I have not seen a bank without a guard at the door or a policeman outside the door ... what happened ?
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Scarlett. My mum lives in San Isidro-they broke the door. I don't know what ATM my friend used the time got mugged, but she ended up being thrown on the floor by the guy.
I know they'll take whatever looks expensive, but taking your earrings will be harder than taking a gold chain or watch. I have to admit that I still feel relatively safe because being from BA at least I know my way around town and am aware of the possible dangers--I moved to DC 5 years ago, but go back home twice a year. I was thinking of starting a thread for those who go to BA for the first time, and may be unaware of the crime situation there.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Cool blog.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM

Those are tips to be considered in any big city...
You are right about radio taxis, and regarding ATM's you should ALWAYS TRY go during bank operation hours. I really don't know which are the banks opened during Sundays because they just don't work during Saturdays and Sundays, they are all closed. Another ATM you can go are the ones located in malls or similar places, like the one inside the Village Recoleta (where the cinema is located). Also, be aware no one enters right after you and when you are inside do not open to people if they don't have their one cards.
And when walking along the streets, be aware of your back-pack. If you can, take it on your front and not on your back (a couple of weeks ago I was walking on Santa Fe av. and someone tried to open it). Unfortunately in Buenos Aires you have to be 100 eyes, but that's the way we live...
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM

anne, I think most people are so aware of the possibilities of crime/purse snatching / mugging etc that they are all afraid to come here! There are so many stories that it can be really scary for people planning a trip here.
We live in Recoleta and bank and walk and live in this town and have not been robbed .. I think the better caution would be to tell people not to behave in a mindless/clueless way.. carrying large amounts of money, wearing flashy jewelry, standing in the middle of the street reading a map with a camera around your neck..
Disco grocery stores have ATM machines and a guard is always standing inside the store, there are plenty of places someone can get cash without being afraid. Village Recoleta is nice but jammed with tourists and it would be easy for someone to follow you out of the theatre into the street.
No one should take more money than they need for the day .. then it is not a horrible loss if they do get pickpocketd.

I thought San Isidro was so very beautiful when we were first researching our move here, the reason we did not go that far north of BA was the distance from the city .. and our pathetic Spanish
But I have been reading a lot lately about robberies in homes in San Isidro and north of there.. horrible. Those shootings a few months back were horrible too.

Your poor friend, how awful. It is scary enough to be robbed but to be knocked down and pregnant .. I hope she got over it and was not terrified to go out again ! I wonder how I would be after something like that ... probably get a bodyguard lol..

Yes, I like that Blog ..

This one is a favorite of ours too.. My husband discovered it right after we moved here, we use it all the time, and the girl , Sandra, is soooo nice !
We have been so very lucky in meeting so many great people here. It is a major part of why we are happy living here

http://www.batravelguide.com/
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:41 AM

bookmarking
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM

All good sensible advice for any city around the world. I have to say however, that having spent a month in the fair city of Buenos Aires last December,I did not feel threatened in any way or indeed any less safe than in any other big city in the world I have visited.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM

That's right crellston! I think all the tips we mentioned are to be considered in any big city. And it's also true that you can't live with fear all the time, at least that is the way I live in Buenos Aires, if it has to happen it will happen. But always trying to take precautions
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM

Scarlett: you are right! Disco grocery's as well as others like Carrefour or Coto usually have atm's inside, but they are not banks. I would like to clarify that so people don't get confused, no banks are not opened during weekends like you said at first, but there are atm's in those grocery stores as you mentioned in your last post.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM

I was referring to ATM machines, sofi. Annes friend was robbed at an ATM at a bank.
The grocery stores are open all weekend and have a policeman/guard by the ATM machine .. you really don't need a teller anyway- not as a tourist.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM

Sorry Scarlett, you are absolutely right but in your first post you stated "There are banks that are open on Sundays..." so I just wanted to clarify this in case any other person reads our tips
Anyway, I believe in destiny and if you are to be robbed you will be robbed, no matter where you are. Just in case we should always be aware
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM

Let's hope being robbed is <B>not</B> in our destiny !! But I agree with you, some people do everything right and still get robbed or their pocket is picked .. others wander around with their head in the clouds and nothing ever happens. I hope I am the one with the head in the clouds lol.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:27 AM

Scarlett: I hope I'm one of yours too!!! let's have our fingers crossed!
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Oh sofi, the banks are not open in the sense that people are working inside but using your card to open the door, you can access any bank ATM machine.. on Sundays also. We use BNP Paribas.. On Sunday, there is a bank on Las Heras, not far from the corner of Pueyrredon, that is always busy and there is a guard there..
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Yes, but you don't usually see guards present other than during bank operation hours; the rest of the time, there is typically nobody there.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Depends on where you are.

So if you don't see a guard or the bank is deserted, there are so many other banks everywhere, go to another one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -