Student trip to Machu Picchu & Easter Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my son is graduating from university and he and a few friends are trying to figure out if they can go to Machu Picchu and Easter Island for a graduation trip before they all start their futures. Both of those destinations are endangered and they want to go before it is too late. I went to both 30 years ago, so I understand a bit about the distances and obstacles--back then there were only 2 flights a week to Easter Island. They would leave from either San Francisco or LA. Does anyone have any suggestions for tour companies that would handle both destinations? I know we can cobble together a trip but the airfare alone looks frightening so I am thinking there might be a better way to do it. When I went there was a great Chilean air pass that let you do unlimited air for a period of time. They are 22 years old. Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 03:51 PM

How long do they have fort his trip? What time of year? They are not destinations which go together naturally and they would need time. They would have to take flights. Latam is the only airline going to Easter Island from Santiago (daily). The earlier flights are purchased the cheaper they are. Flightys purchased using the Chile page for Latam can be cheaper. latam.cl. If it goes through it is a valid ticket. American Airlines is a Latam partner and they might get a good fare linking the EI portion to the international ticket. Even linking it to a Lima/Santiago return on Latam might help. They should certainly be able to handle the Easter Island portion without a tour. They can get a tour of EI once they arrive there.

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 08:41 PM
kja

I'm not sure why you think a tour would work better than a plan that they develop, on their own, to suit their own specific interests. And if they find that they can't do both on the same trip, would that really be so awful if they save a great deal of money?
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

They have some time flexibility, if it matters. I would expect at least 2 weeks up to a month. The timing is sometime soon following commencement in mid-June, so June-July. Thanks for the tip regarding latam.cl--that might be very valuable. I agree, they can just find someone on EI to give them a tour. Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

I am only helping them evaluate options at this point. They don't have much time to plan, what with being seniors at Stanford. We want to figure out what is feasible, then we will look at whether we can all afford it. I don't generally like tours but I wanted to start with what would be easiest and go from there...