Search

Planning Trip to Peru in June 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Trip to Peru in June 2012

Hi folks,
My brother and i are planning our first trip to Peru in June 2012 and intend to spend 5 weeks exploring this extremely diverse country - visiting Lima, Sacred Valley, Cuzco (Saqsaywaman for Inti Raymi), Inca Trail, Arequipa (including Cotahuasi Canyon and possibly El Misti), Lake Titcaca and Iquitos (for Amazon River/Rainforest). We have gained some useful tips from this forum and incorporated itinerary suggestions into our own. We are considering using Colca Treks for Cotahuasi Canyon tour. Does anyone have any feedback on this organisation? Thanks in anticipation.

VB
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM

saexplorers.org/clubhouses/lima great planning site

Always get best deal boots on the ground did my

Colca tours with Inka Planet $30 for multiday

Online was lots more Colca Treks good rep but costly.

Manuadventures.com would save hundreds and better jungle

than scammy dodgy Iquitos but otorongoexpeditions.com

my fav if you elect to head there.

Never wire money many touts scammers on the boards

insuremytrip.com travel.state.gov for entry safety info

Congrats!
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:45 AM

I can recommend many reputable Peruvian companies from the south american explorers club.
www.trekperu.com
www.waykitrek.net
kuoda
condor travel
www.qerostours.com
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 06:20 AM

I have traveled extensivly all over Peru. In my opinion Iquitos is much better than Manu for viewing wildlife, especially if you go into the Pacaya Samiria Reserve. I took a tour with Maniti Expeditions (www.manitiexpeditions.com) and it was great. All inclusive rustic lodge close to the Pacaya Samiria Reserve. We spent 2 days at the lodge and 5 days inside of hte reserve. Saw the pink freshwater dolphins, anacondas, all types of birds, many species of monkey. Food is excellent!

I have yet to do Cotahuasi but I have done Colca Canyon. It is a bit more difficult to get a guide for Cotahuasi and it is futher from Arequipa. There are tours that go everyday from Arequipa to Colca Canyon. My wife and I did a 2D/1N hike into the bottomw of the canyon where we stayed in bungalows at a Oasis. The following morning we rode mules out of hte canyon...very cool! We booked through Inka Empire Expeditions (www.inkaempireperu.com).
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM

Have you bought your air ticket yet? If not, act fast because LAN has a sale going on for about another week, with 1/2 price tickets from most gateways in the US. I just bought an LAX-LIM ticket for May/June for $600, including tax, which is about as cheap as it's been for a decade.

Hmm, but judging from your spelling of "organisation," I would surmise that you're English. Oh well. Hope you can still find a good deal.

Regarding your choice of trekking agency, I'm afraid I can't offer any insight on the two you mentioned. However, I can recommend an agency that I have used before in Cusco, called Incaland. See www.incalandadventures.com They have great prices and are top-notch in the service department.

Happy travels.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We have now booked our airline tickets from Melbourne/Sydney to Lima and 2 treks (Peru Treks for Inca Trail and Colca Treks for Cotahuasi Canyon). We intend to purchase South American AirPass for flights between Lima, Cusco, Arequipa, Juliaca and Iquitos. We are still considering options for Amazon River/Rainforest and will likely book something soon - following more research. Everything else would be self tours, so we do not expect to make any other bookings (other than accommodation) before we leave.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM

If you are looking for something different and spiritual you could do a san pedro ceremony with a trek off the beaten path. see www.cuscowahca.com
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM

check this website for info about Peru:
http://mythicaltrailsperu.com/useful-info-peru.htm

Good luck