I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Argentina in January (fingers crossed)!
- 2 Colombia-Brazil-Chile-Bolivia-Peru (Dec'17-Jan'18)
- 3 Advice on Peru Itninerary
- 4 Some tips to get to MP.
- 5 need help with my Peru Itinerary : Cusco, Puno Arequipa
- 6 Wanting tips for trip to Brazil
- 7 Private driver Mendoza?
- 8 Chile -Valparaiso to San Antonio Chile by car
- 9 Torres del Paine - Jan 2018
- 10 Santiago/Valparaiso/Wine Region - January 2018
- 11 Where to spend Christmas & New Year's Eve in Argentina
- 12 Galapagos Islands, a paradise
- 13 last-minute Argentina planning questions
- 14 Advice needed for Colombia
- 15 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 16 La Boca safety question
- 17 San Pedro de Atacama
- 18 My trip report from Argentina
- 19 More Colombia Itinerary help - beaches
- 20 Travel to brazil under Duel Passports
- 21 Considering 2019 eclipse tour with Astro Trails
- 22 2 weeks in Colombia Itinerary help
- 23 Argentina (Chile?)
- 24 hotel selection Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 25 Patagonia-thoughts on my 24 night schedule?