Search

Cruising on large ships and covid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 06:00 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruising on large ships and covid

I'm thinking of a cruise from Italy to Spain in September. I've been on a couple of small ship cruises recently and covid wasn't a problem. But last year we went on a Princess cruise which was a very large ship. We noticed there were a lot of people coughing and sneezing, and there were several medical evacuations and disembarkments. When we got home we discovered we had covid. FWIW, we are fully vaccinated.

I realize this can happen on any ship, but does anyone have recent experiences on large ships? We're not hearing about it on the news anymore, but I'm convinced most of the sick people on our Princess cruise had covid. Even the cruise director disappeared for 3 days, and all we were told is she's "under the weather."

Thanks.

Last edited by P_M; Apr 13th, 2024 at 06:16 AM.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 06:13 AM
P_M
Original Poster

One more thing--the cruise we're looking at is on Royal Caribbean in September. I thought about looking at smaller ships but this one has all I want at a good price.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 10:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I know one is in confined spaces on a ship -- but its even more confined on a plane. I just figure covid is just as likely to jump up and bite me in the airport, on a flight, or in a restaurant or department store in central London. I'd be comfortable on a cruise just taking basic precautions -- but that's me. Plus September is months away - who knows what the situation will be then??
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:10 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks for your usual good insight Janis.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by janisj
I know one is in confined spaces on a ship -- but its even more confined on a plane. I just figure covid is just as likely to jump up and bite me in the airport, on a flight, or in a restaurant or department store in central London. I'd be comfortable on a cruise just taking basic precautions -- but that's me. Plus September is months away - who knows what the situation will be then??
The difference being, on a plane you are only with other people for a few hours. On a ship, you are exposed to them for many days.
I think we are not hearing as much about it because people are not reporting it so they don't have to isolate on the ship.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 05:48 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
If I were to do one, I'd want to have a private balcony for good ventilation (fresh air) when I am in room (stateroom).

I am doing one in December (small ship) and that's my plan anyway.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 12:40 PM

Cruises have always been terrible places for spreading respiratory bugs, long before COVID, the cruise cough was a known thing. IMO it really makes no diference the size of the ship. My friends were on a 100-ish person ship in Antarctica and one of the passengers brought it on board. My friends had recently boosted and didn't catch it. If you haven't yet had a recent booster, I would wait and get it a few weeks before you cruise. (Elders are now allowed to get another jab of the "new" shot to boost immunity).

I also would wear a mask during embarkation and disembarkation, often that is worse than the airports. There is also the issue of being on a bus if you take an excursion.

I'd want to have a balcony too. I was glad the my most recent cruise was at half capacity. There were a few coughers (mostly Europeans flying in from winter climates) but no one seemed to go missing and there were no rumors of COVID spread. That line was quite strict as they had been part of an embarassing superspread event, we had to show physical vax cards before boarding.

Good luck...

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 15th, 2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 02:14 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Hello all and thanks for jumping in. 😊

I will be traveling with my sister. Both of us are under 65 but fully vaxxed as of last September. I should have mentioned that on the cruise where DH and I got covid, I had my latest vaccine about 2 days before sailing. It was a new vaccine and it had just gone out, so it wasn't possible to get it in time for full efficacy. Maybe between being fully vaxxed and actually having covid, my immunity is good. But I still agree that masking is a good idea.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 05:35 AM
P_M
Original Poster

UPDATE: We found a better cruise in June so we're taking that one. My sister has never been outside North America and this is a dream trip for her. She took care of our Mom for 4 years so she deserves this.

Let's hope for the best in terms of covid.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 07:03 AM

Yes, you need to wait a few weeks not days for full immune response.

You can get another jab if you have only had the last one (or covid) more than 3-5 months ago. My provider paid for them and sent out mailers to their older patients.

Enjoy your cruise. Hopefully June will be duirng a lull...
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 07:57 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Mlgb, if we're under 65 can we get a booster? I'll check again but I thought you had to be 65 or older.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 08:54 AM

Dated 2 28 2024

Today, CDC Director Mandy Cohen endorsed the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ (ACIP) recommendation for adults ages 65 years and older to receive an additional updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine dose. The recommendation acknowledges the increased risk of severe disease from COVID-19 in older adults, along with the currently available data on vaccine effectiveness.

Previous CDC recommendations ensured that people who are immunocompromised are already eligible for additional doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

Most likely if you are under 65 or immunocompromised your insurer will not pay. And you may have a hard time finding anyone to give you a jab...

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 26th, 2024 at 08:57 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 09:21 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb.

I do have underlying conditions so my pharmacy recommends asking the doctor for a prescription, then they will do it. If the insurance won't pay, I will gladly pay the $150 out of pocket. I messaged the doctor, I'm hopeful she will comply.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 04:16 PM

Hopefully your Doctor won't mind giving the prescription.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:09 AM
P_M
Original Poster

She did, sorry I forgot to mention that.