Search

Cruise to Montego Bay, Caiman and

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise to Montego Bay, Caiman and

Hi everyone
My family (2 adults and 2 kids) are going to a cruise that will be stopping in Montego Bay, Cayman Island and Cozumel. I need help finding things to do in Montego bay that are kids friendly.
The Dunns River falls and other activities that are fun for little kids (4 and 6 years old), where can I get cheaper tickets, cruise or port?
Day pass at a resort : which one is the best ? How much do they cost and where should I buy the passes? How do I get there?
How much do taxis charge?
Cayman islands: what are the kid friendly activities there? Can little kids snorkle? Where do I get the tickets at lower price?
How do I get there?

Thank you in advance for your help
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:22 AM
KVR

Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios about 2 hours away from Montego Bay. I believe the Sunset Grande offers day passes. You'll need to check.

The most popular attraction in Grand Cayman is swimming with the Sting Rays.

Go to the ports of call forums for each stop on cruisecritic.com and read, read, read. Tons of information and everything you ever needed to know about cruising.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM

the best place for cruisers to go to is the Royal Palms, they rent lounge chairs and have food. the 2nd most popular location is the Public Beach/Sea grape. The hotels on Grand Cayman usually do not have day passes. Taking a taxi at the port is much cheaper than going on a cruise ship excursion.

As mentioned above, Sting Ray city is the premier attraction on Grand Cayman. Snorkeling and going to the turtle farm are also popular. Going to see Hell, is popular, it takes only 10 minutes.
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM

Was just in Montego Bay for a week. Stayed at the very kids-friendly Hilton Rose Hall resort and spa. On one of the days some cruise passengers had day passes to come and use the place.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Dunn's River Falls is not really that friendly to smaller kids (4 and 6). You have to climb up a slippery waterfall, and I just don't think it's really an excursion for children. They might like Dolphin Cove, just down the road, but both of these are a very long drive from Montego Bay. Getting a pass to a nearby resort might be the best alternative, but these can often only be booked through your ship. Chukka Caribbean has a lot of different activities, some suitable for younger kids, and their headquarters are near Ocho Rios, with another south of Montego Bay on the road to Negril.

Caribbean excursions are almost always cheaper when booked away from the cruise ship. There are companies that book them directly. I don't know that I'd just hire a driver in Jamaica. I think you want something more organized there. But you can book a lot of things in advance (sometimes cancellable in case your ship can't come into port, which can happen during the hurricane season).

I'd look first at a good cruise port guidebook that shows you what the alternatives are, and then go from there. You'll get a more systematic introduction to what's available on each island than you will from individual recommendations in a forum such as this. Once you know the lay of the land, you can start asking questions here to narrow down your choices.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 02:15 PM

How long is the port stop in Mobay? Negril has the best beach but doing 1:15 each way in a vehicle will cut in to your beach
time in a big way. I believe Sunset Beach Resort is within 5 minutes of the port. Maybe try that for a day pass. The main beach in Mobay is busy with vendors, etc.