Prepaid Cell Phone - Shannon Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I travel, I do not like using my cell phone. I don't want the messages, texts, facebook, email and all that from home to distract me. I literally aim to get away from it all.

As my trip to Ireland gets very close, however, I (and my wife, especially) am feeling like a cell phone is a very good idea. Primarily, if we have an issue with the rental car if we drive around the country, being able to call the number will be nice. Also, I am meeting up with some relatives who live there that would like being able to call me, and not just at the hotels.

I have a Driod from Verizon. I brought it in today to ask about putting a sim card in it when I get to Ireland. Problem! My Drioid X doesn't have a sim card that can be changed in and out, and it is not worldwide capable.

They said I can get a "prepaid phone" in Ireland that will suit my needs. Is this true? I am flying into Shannon Airport. Are there booths with prepaid or rental phones I can get? If so, what do I look for. If not, is there a place near the airport I can get one?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

I should add I am there for 11 days
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM

Tesco Mobile is the cheapest way to go for calls and texts. A basic phone will cost €20 credit is Doubled for Irish calls and international calls will be either 1 or 2 cent/min.

There is no outlet at the airport so if you are heading South there is a store on the way into Limerick if you are going North there is a store in Ennis or Galway.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/pay-as-you-go-plans.aspx
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM

Yes, go with the advice already given Get a cheap phone/sim combination at your destination. Having a cell phone in hand while traveling is a convenience. I will never leave home without it.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Tony2phones is incorrect, there is in fact an outlet in Shannon airport that sells cheap Cellphones or they can also rent you a cellphone. When you enter the arrivals area after you collect your luggage you will find a outlet shop called londis, I suggest you get your phone in the airport which will save a lot of hassle.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Sorry should have specified there is no Tesco outlet at Shannon Airport.

I do not know what phones Londis sell (if any) but they sell a phone card which gives supposed discount calls by dialing a code before the number on a standard phone (if you can find one). Renting a phone for €50+ calls is a bright idea when you can buy a phone and enough credit to last more than a couple of weeks for about €30