Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Boston/Cambridge-short term rental/kitchen essential!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM
LJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our extended family of 5 (4 adults, plus 1 infant) plan to visit Cambridge for family reunion in October for 4 days.

We are 2 couples, one with year-old son and both mom and baby are celiac so being able to access a kitchen is a must for a happy holiday.

We thought we had found the perfect place on-line, a condo with 2 bedrooms in central Cambridge, but no response from renter after a full week.

Anyone here got some personal knowledge of this area? Or should we bite the bullet, forget charm and atmosphere and just find a Marriot Residence?
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 12:11 AM

October is a tough time in Boston and Cambridge because of leaf peepers, parents weekends, and football early to mid month and the Head of the Charles Regatta the third weekend.

I assume you found this non-responsive condo on VRBO; if not, have a look at that. I don't know of any suite-with-kitchen hotels in Cambridge. There is an Embassy Suites just across the Charles, but I don't know if they have kitchens, and they are not on any public transportation.

There are corporate short term rental flats in Boston (Financial district). It is important to be near the Red Line, and I don't know if you can find a place for less than a week. Good luck!
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 06:59 AM
cw

There is a Marriott Residence Inn in Kendall Square, on the Red Line and well located for your Cambridge visit. As Ackislander says, October is a very busy month in Boston, so don't wait too long to reserve. Maybe make a reservation that you can cancel, in case you find a more charming alternative.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:17 AM

Try craigslist.com Boston, under sublets/temporary -- I have seen lots of short-term sublet opportunities in this student/faculty - heavy area. You may not find October listings until later this spring/summer, however. Also consider looking in Medford and Somerville, which are just north of Cambridge.

(Of course beware of craigslist scammers).
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 08:28 AM

good to know about that Marriott Residence, cw, that would certainly fill the bill if they can get in.

BOOK NOW
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM
LJ
Original Poster

It was a Home Away property that we investigated, but thanks for the tip...I will book the Marriot (or its kin) while checking out VRBO property.

I have been a Fodorite since the very early days-over 11 years now and I know that in all my info seeking about destinations from Sirolo, Italy to Syracuse, NY, you folks have never let me down! Thanks a bunch, as usual.

LJ
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Found it on VRBO! will let you good folks know when we have had our vacation so that others can use info.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 01:58 PM

LJ, I just read this thread when you topped it. Great to hear you'll be in Cambridge in October! I'm sure you have a packed schedule planned with your family reunion - but I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Boston Fodor's GTG that will also be in October.

Here's the link:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...2-168996-9.cfm
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
LJ
Original Poster

Just following up on our recent trip to Cambridge Boston. The place we rented from VRBO (only one of Lilac Court for those interested)was terrific.

2 bedroom, 2 bath, spotlessly clean,great quality linens, cable TV and phones, parking available if needed. Kitchen was clean, well-equipped (even a crock-pot!) and stocked with basics (plus a couple of lovely treats, which we re-stocked).

The neighbourhood was quiet but near good restaurants, like Emma's (for pizza), The Friendly Toast (for families, excellent breakfasts) and a Dunkin' Donuts for the caffeine freak in the crowd.

If you need to stay in Cambridge (near MIT), check this out.
Old Oct 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
yk

Thanks for the follow up, LJ. Do you have a direct link to that VRBO property?
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
LJ
Original Poster

yk: I would have loved to have provided a direct link, but the property is not listed right now...perhaps VRBO owners come and go with listings? Now I am a little sorry I was so enthusiastic...perhaps the property will appear again on VRBO lists?