First time traveling EVER

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so we are planing a trip to Italy and we need help,we have bought all the books but we are still very afraid...the things we read are horrifying...we are planing on going Sept 17th 2011 and returning October 20th we have a friend who lives in Venice so we thought no big deal we could figure it out when we get there...wrong...We will be leaving Venice Sept 22...we want to go to Milan for a night,then off to Cinque Terre for 2 nights then the Tuscany region...Orvieto (seems Central) for 6 nights then to Rome for 3 nights and then to Naples area...Salerno,Amalfi coast...not sure exactly where then to Sicily via boat for the last week and fly home...or back to Venice then home... We are so worried about the cost what would be the least costly way to go? I have looked at Hostels and we are late 40's and not sure about that kind of travel, we are taking roller luggage not backpacks...I don't think I could handle that weight.Do you have any suggestions for places to go so we don;t have to rent a car,a central apt. or hotel, and the ferry to Sicily any thoughts on that...any help would be so appreciated. thank you in advance. Newbie2011
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM

No need to be so afraid - if it was too hard, no-one would travel!

A few things for you to ask yourself (and then answer on here so we can help further):
1. Why have you chosen the cities listed above? Are there things you want to see in each of them, or are they just names you're familiar with?
2. What budget do you have? You've noted that you want to do this in the least costly way, but starting with an idea of what you want to spend on accommodation (be it hostel, hotel, appartment, etc) will help you plan better. Something worth mentioning is that if you're staying in a place for 5 days or more, you might want to look at an appartment as you can cook there (saving money on eating out) and feel a little more "at home" in that you have an appartment not a hotel to go to (if that will help with the travel nerves you're showing).
3. What is it that makes you so afraid - what you've read? chosing cities? transport? accommodation? language? all of the above?!!

You're leaving soon-ish, so the more you immerse yourself in the planning now the better - you'll feel more in control and enjoy yourselves more once you're there. Italy is a great place and at times it feels like the whole country is giving you a group hug...other times it can feel like organised chaos! But that's the joy of travel and of experiencing another part of the world.

Transport between the places you've listed will be the easy part - trains are frequent and one of the best/cheapest ways to get around. An overnight ferry to Sicily will be great, from Naples is definitely possible. Although the Autumn/Fall weather can bring storms, these boats are huge and have stabilisers so you'll be fine. If you can look into an open-jaw ticket for flights to/from Italy, that will help with saving time getting back to where you started to fly home. Of course, it depends on how much extra it will cost you in terms of your budget, but look into it.

Accommodation - hostels have changed quite a bit over the years and many cater for all age groups and travelling styles. Many hostels have double rooms which, although they cost more than a dorm room, offer an alternative to hotels if you can't get a budget hotel in the timeframe you have. Appartments, as mentioned above, are another way to save money and get to know a city.

Cities/Regions - Orvieto isn't Tuscany, it's in the region/state of Umbria, but it's still worth a visit. Not sure that it will suit you for such a long stay to access other towns. A quick search of these boards will show a lot of ideas for towns in Tuscany, and the SITA bus services are often better than the trains for this part of Italy. Sicily is also a great place, and you can get around by train and bus, but you'll need to research a little more into which cities/towns/areas you'd like to visit in order to know the best options. Other places will depend on your interests - what do you want to see already, ie what's on your list, and what are your interests (art, hiking, food, wine, scenery...) so that suggestions can be made.

If you can answer the above questions, we'll be able to offer more suggestions and ideas for your trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 09:47 PM

You can find cheap but nice hotels all over Italy. By cheap I mean 60 to 80 euros/night (assuming you want a bathroom inside your room).
Transportation: trains between major cities are frequent and reliable and the fastest (eurostar or inter city) are not cheap.In some regions, like Tuscany, is better to have a car. Forvthebtrsin trybtonsee if any of the italian rail passes will help you (contact raileurope in the US for orientation).
Meals: you can have nice meals by buying stuff in markets in most of the places.
You have almost a month but I don't think you have to cover the whole country. I would suggest starting with Rome, for 5 days at least. Then 3 days in Florence. From Florence you can spend one day in Siena, one in San Gimignano and Volterra and one in Lucca and Pisa (or one day in each). Orvieto can be next and at this point decide if you want to spend a day in Cinque Terre. if you can get a car for traveling outside Florence better. Hop back in the train and spend one day in Bologna. From there Venice and some othern northern city like Verona. Go to Milan and fly back home. Leave the south for another time. You'll save money and most impotant, time.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:17 PM

Italy has a terrific train system - you don't need to rent a car for most of the kind of trip you have mentioned. You don't even have to speak Italian to use the trains - there are self-service ticket machines (instructions in English) at almost every train station in Italy, where you can use your credit card to buy tickets. The only trick is, if you get train tickets for a non-reserved train, make sure you VALIDATE the ticket before you get on the train (in a well-marked machine)!

Otherwise, the trains are awesome. You can take slower, cheaper regional trains to save money. Use this website to check train routings within Italy:

http://www.trenitalia.com/

(Click on the "English/British Flag" at the top to see it in English)

Italians in general are very friendly. I don't know ten words of Italian and have several times had to communicate with Italians who spoke no English. You find a way to communicate. Italy is an easy country for Americans to travel in.

There are numerous great day trips from Venice so to save money, I would stay with your friends as long as possible and do day trips to: Burano (colorful island near Venice), Verona, Padova, and perhaps Bologna (expensive hotels so do the day trip - but the food is amazing so worth a day trip or a stop-off on the train). And of course, there's plenty to see in Venice itself.

Hostels: I'm your age and not interesting in sharing housing with a bunch of strangers. But you can get private rooms at some hostels - sometimes with private bathrooms too. I don't like shared bathrooms but sometimes I find hostels with private rooms and ensuite bathrooms. Try sites like hostelbookers.com and hostelworld.com and read the reviews.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM

a month in Italy is divine! And yes, it takes a fair bit of planning. starting in Venice and then onto Cinque(5) Terre works....check trains as u don't need a car until Tuscany. 5Terre is all about walking (steep/mtns) so be prepared - but it is so beautiful.
You might be trying to squeeze too many places in, but I am similiar that way....if I'm there how much can I see? Give yourself a few days at least in each place or you will be constantly on the run and dog-tired. Enjoy the views in 5Terre, getting lost in Venice, gazing across the hills and valleys in Tuscany, wine tasting and touring, the busy-ness and history of Rome. Soak it in rather than rushing to the next place. A week in Tuscany for me is like being in heaven.

we are in our 40's and have only been twice, but have stayed in apts, hostels (rent the whole room), farm houses....and loved it all. Be adventurous, and there is nothing to be afraid of...Italy is my favorite place in the whole world!
Fly into Venice and home from your most southern stop - don't go back north to Venice...its too easy to book flights in and out of different cities. I have yet to make it to the Amalfi coast, but I believe its similiar to Cinque Terre - but different.
I've done backpack and roller...you'll be fine with a roller. Just pack so that many items mix and match. Sept/Oct is still warm, and the changing colors are beautiful. Enjoy!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM

No need to be afraid at all - be excited! Travel is an adventure! The more prepared you are, the less frightening things are so take some time to read up so you know what to expect.

Here is an excellent page that has lots of articles for visitors to Italy (how the trains work, food, using telephones, typical budget etc) http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/index.asp

For cheap hotels try looking at www.eurocheapo.com but get on accomodations NOW because good cheap places book up quickly.

Agree with the above, look at apartments or vacation rentals (there are lots of reviews and articles about what to expect on the link I gave above under Vacation Rentals).

Happy Planning!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 11:45 PM

Newbie, I envy you the experience of visiting Italy for the first time, especially staying with friends, but expect to feel a bit discombulated in the beginning. It may take a few days to get over jetlag, get the hang of the place and start enjoying yourselves.

My chief advice is to pack very light. You plan to cover a lot of ground and the less you are hauling around, the easier it will be. Look on this forum for packing tips.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had 5 weeks in Italy a number of years ago, at a similar age to you, and were initially nervous, mainly about travelling on the trains as we rarely use public transport at home. It's helpful to write out your plans if you want help at the ticket counter in Italy, that way your lack of Italian doesn't matter so much - just From/ To / Date / return or one way.

Also knowing which is the stop just before your station is useful, it gives you time to get all your stuff together and make your way to the train door. You can find this out on the Italian rail website but I like the Swiss one (shows Italy as well) www.sbb.ch choose EN for English at the top.

We really liked Orvieto but I think 6 days is too long. I'd suggest 2 or 3 days. Roller luggage is the way to go, pack light and you can always pick up an extra top or scarf etc as you travel - a good souvenir!

I think going to Milan just for a night makes no sense. Either stay long enough to see something or just continue on your train journey. I'd also consider skipping Sicily, it's a big area to cover as well as everywhere else on your list.

For accommodation I'd look for a cheap hotel or pensione as they are sometimes called. B&B in Italy sometimes doesn't include the breakfast bit of B&B - just so you know

In case you are interested, this was our 5 week Italian trip:
Rome
Sorrento
Orvieto
San Gimignano
Lucca
Cinque Terre
Santa Margherita Ligure
Venice
Rome

We had 6 nights in Sorrento to see the Amalfi coast and 6 nights in Venice as we love it there. Everywhere else was 3 or 4 nights.

Kay
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi Newbie,

I always find it helpful to set out the trip in tabular form, togged a better idea of timings, thus:

Venice Sept 22 - how long?
Milan for a night,
Cinque Terre for 2 nights
Tuscany region...Orvieto (seems Central) for 6 nights
Rome for 3 nights and then to
Naples area...Salerno,Amalfi coast...not sure exactly where then to
Sicily via boat for the last week and
fly home...or back to Venice then home..

looked at like that, it doesn't look too bad, though it would be a good idea to have at least 3 nights in Venice before you set off for the CT, so you can start to adjust to the italian way of life, recover from jetlag, etc.

there is no need to go back to Venice to fly home. look for multi-centre trips when you are researching flights - it should be no more expensive than a round trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 02:56 AM

I would stress what Andrew wrote about day trips from Venice.
You don't have to race across the country to find the next sight worth a visit.

If it's not a problem for your friend, think about extenting your stay there. And ask him/her what s/he can recommend in the immediate vicinity or elsewhere in the Veneto region.

It takes just around 20 minutes and six euros to go by train from Venice to Padova, 20 miles from one world heritage site to another.
Or 1 hour to Verona, 2 hours to Trieste. The latter town also being interesting for mixing Italian with Imperial-Austrian influences.

Tuscany should be great during that season. You could rent a house (or room in a villa) in the countryside for a week and explore. Here, a rental car may be required/best, depending on location.

Depending on actual weather at that time, also the Dolomites could be worth a visit. Just a bit more than a stone's throw from Venice.

But Italy is far too big to experience in just one month anyway.
Relax, shift into lower gear, and give yourself some time to immerse and enjoy the dolce far niente.
You're on vacation, not on the run
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you haven't booked your flight yet, you should consider flying into Milan and out of Rome. Those two cities are usually cheaper than others. You could stay a night in Milan since it's on your list and then train to Venice to stay with your friends.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 04:58 AM

RELAX no worries be happy have fun...
arm yourself with knowledge and u will not fear

ricksteves.com good newbie site www.eurocheapo.com
seat61.com regional trains dirt cheap in Italia just hop on

Was just in your areas found www.otel.com cheap hotels
better than hostels everywhere might rethink that.

This May 2 was in all your areas 2 of my favs
www.hotelpausania.it #211 59 euro
www.hoteldelfino.com $60 best food views of my trip.

insuremytrip.com is wise usually Patriot for me

Have fun,
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will find hostels and hotels have 1 to 5 star system. In september it will be cooling off and so A/C is less of a crisis, you should find 2 to 3 star hotels ok and the price reasonable.

Fodors did a thread last year on how to "save money in Italy". I'd surf it and see what comes up
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Sorry the thread is not surfable with those words. It was run by an editor (I think Katie) so must have been before mid 2010. I'll dig further
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM

Nah, it is too far back. You might find
Budget eating in Italy! an interesting article.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:12 AM

My two cents are that you should consider dropping Sicily. You're trying to cover so much ground, and it costs money to do that. Condensing the extent of your travel is one of the easiest ways to trim your budget. Sicily can be a trip in and of itself, it's so big and varied, and I think as a first-timer it might be overwhelming, not to mention that, from my own experience there, English is not as widely used as in mainland Italy. We had some interesting experiences dealing with some of the locals who not only didn't speak English, but their Sicilian dialect was so different from our Italian, that we couldn't even communicate that way. In one case we had to get a produce vendor to "translate" what the bus driver was saying into Italian we could understand. English wasn't even part of the exchange.

Which brings up another way to ease some of your fears: learn some basic Italian - the niceties, such as greeting people, ordering food, asking for the check (which you always have to do - they won't bring it until you request it), and of course, thank you. You'll be surprised how nice people are when you make a tiny attempt at their language, even if it's to say "Non parlo l'italiano" (I don't speak Italian).
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM

If you're worried about cost, trim a week off your trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM

bilboburgler, is this the one you're thinking of?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-in-italy.cfm

newbie, don't worry - despite what you may have read, Italy is not a horrifying place. Do your research and you'll have a great time. You've gotten wonderful advice here, and I absolutely second the open-jaw (usually listed on airline sites as "multi-city") flights, if you haven't booked those already. Letting people know your hotel/apartment budget (in euros, per night) will let us give you some good suggestions. For apartment stays, I was really pleased booking through sleepinitaly.com.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM

newbie, if Italy was so horrible, would all of us go there, not just once but many times? We have been there more than 12 times! It is not clear from your post what you are afraid of.

Look for apartment rentals at sleepinitaly.com and VRBO.com. Since you are so new at foreign travel, I suggest you avoid driving on this trip. Leave it for a later one. (I predict you WILL go back.)

Download the free audio podcast Mydailyphraseitalian (I think it's on ITunes) which gives you 100 3 minute lessons in Italian. In the time you have left you can learn 2 or 3 a day and learn how to pronounce things. That will make you feel more confiident. But in all the tourist cities you will find most people you interact with will speak a little English.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM

If doing those places all by train the Italy Railpass may well be cheaper than regular tickets and even the mini-fares and with the pass you can pretty much hop any train anytime though on most trains you will need a seat reservation - 10 euros on top of the pass but for itineraries like your I have priced it out and especially if you desire fully flexible tickets to decide to take which trains when once you are there and not have to book yourself into non-changeable non-refundable tickets (i believe they are) then the pass will be a good deal since you are in Italy so long and traveling a lot on trains - and in first class which my years of traveling on Italian trains makes me strongly encourage novice travelers to do - the pass is even a better deal compared to regular fares. In so many ways first class on trains, especially for folks hauling baggage around, is much much more relaxed than 2nd class and 2nd class isno cattle car either but just more crowded with less room for luggage, etc.

anyway check out these fantastic sources IMO for info about Italian trains - www.seat62.com - check this site's commercial link to Rail Europe (U S) for current prices of Italian railpasses; and www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. www.trenitalia.com has regular fares as well as the limited in number mini-fares and various discounted tickets albeit usually with restrictions - even then for the number of days you require train travel the pass may even stack up well and provide ultimate flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -