Search

Egypt September 2011???????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt September 2011???????

O.K I think we have taken Egypt off the back burner and thinking of putting it on the front again.
What are everyone's thoughts????
Should we hold off a bit longer before booking for our mother and daughter trip in September????
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM

Go go go!!!!!! I went in Sept/Oct 2010... and I would be happy to go back now... so I am sure that by Sept everything will be back as normal... well, thats my opinion!
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Chose some decent hotels to stay in, and a good opeator to give you your tours, and you should be fine.
If you need any help, ask here and we'll all try to answer any questions.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 03:52 AM

Things are still quite volatile in that general region.

Upcoming "Days of Rage" in Saudi Arabia next week.

I always monitor www.travel.state.gov and follow directions.

Personally would not book till all travel alerts are lifted.

insuremytrip.com always wise along with a backup plan.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM

Check out a map - Saudi Arabia is a LONG way from Egypt. Even Libya is far enough away to not be a bother for us.
Would you cancel a trip to Thailand because Cambodia was having problems? I hope not.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:57 AM

As a tourist, I would not go to Egypt on my own, but I think as part of an organized tour (with a well-known, reputable tour operator) it would be fine.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Do remember trip insurance incase of flight cancellations, tour cancellations, etc.

If I had the budget and vacation time, I'd go!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Sign up for Egypt Tourism on Google Alerts and they will email news articles and press releases about what is going on over there. It is a good way to monitor the situation. Just remember that many tour companies post press releases, and they are trying to get people to go and are less objective than something from CNN, NBC,etc.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM

We also went Sept/Oct of last year-My first word is HOT. Find a good guide-we had Ahmed Hamed [email protected]
I would highly reccomend him. I E-mailed him for 2 years before out trip. Everything was top notch. The cruise ship Oberie Philae was sold out on web site-I had my heart set on it-he made it happen.
Our trip was a trip of a lifetime-enyoy-the Egyptians are warm & friendly.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Hi
I just want to remind folks that in sept. Egypt is having elections. This would be something to consider. Check out for demonstrations on fridays They had demonstrations this past Friday in the square in cairo. Delta is not flying there as of now and I don't know about the other American airlines that go there. As I stated in a previous post Air France and KLM are flying to Cairo still. I realize how much you want to go as I do too. As far as MissGreen Sept 2010 is much different than Sept 2011.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 09:50 PM

I know there is a great deal of discussion on here about how good they are, but I would highly suggest anyone wanting to travel to Egypt now, consider using Egypt Air. They are THE MOST reliable airline at this time.

I had a heck of a hard time getting back to Egypt on Iberia, and I saw last night on the Cairo International Airport Arrivals website page that they are STILL cancelling their flights. KLM and Air France are not on schedule - they are (as best as I can tell) flying out on opposite days so you may end up on one or the other on your departing flight if booked with them - until now anyway. You can probably leave on the day you are supposed to leave, but you may miss your connecting flight and have to spend a night in Amsterdam or Paris. It's really quite crazy.

Egypt Air is reliable coming in and going out. Don't dismiss them without looking at their prices and factoring in if you need reliability for your departure.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 01:35 AM

Alan, I was saying I went in Sept 2011 just to say I went. I meant no comparison to Sept 2011.

Again, if I had the choice to go in Sept 2011 I would go in an instant.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 04:51 AM

Staying away "from that general region" sound absurd. If all is well in Egypt, then go. We have our own war zone in our 'general region' with drug gangs along the Mexican border but that certainly doesn't make California or Texas less safe than other states.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Here is a link to the English edition of the local newspaper:

www.almasryalyoum.com/en
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 05:43 AM

Certainly cannot say whether it is good to start planning a trip..No one of course knows. Just wondering if CC or any local residents could comment on what is going on with Mubarak? I saw where he has suffered a heart attack, then I read when he is stable enough he will go to prison? It seems quick from being questioned to prison or is that where they stay during questioning. Clearly Egyptians want him and his sons in prison but not sure of the reports. My thinking is he will not be around too long...his health will take him before a long stay in prison. Just curious if anyone knows any news?
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 05:50 AM

Just answered by own question based on reading above link to English newspaper. Mubarak and sons being held for 15 days for questioning. Will be interesting to follow what happens...I don't think Mubarak's health will hold up through this humiliating process.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:56 AM

travelbug, as someone who just returned, I would not have any qualms about going again in September. For us, thanks to our awesome guide/trip planner, Ahmed Hamed Yousif, everything was superb. Not a worry in 2 weeks, except getting enough of those pesky 1LE coins for bathroom attendants! You can check my blog www.herewegoagain-egypt.blogspot.com for my on-the-ground impressions.

Yes, there is stuff going on--but there always is. How does it affect tourists is the better question. It didn't affect us at all--we avoided the rally/demonstration/protest in Tahrir Square on 4/8 and relaxed at our hotel in Giza, for example. We had a great time and look forward to returning in the future. Good luck with your decision.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM

I checked out a map and Saudi Arabia appears not too far from Egypt. In fact it makes Egypt south eastern border around Sharm el Sheikh. So as far as Casual Cairo goes he/she may not have a grasp of geography.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:20 AM

Alan43, just wondering when you went to Egypt.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Hi I haven't been to Egypt yet but it's on my radar. I've been to Israel and Jordan.
I've also driven through the West Bank from Tiberius to the Dead Sea.
We don't travel in tour groups but are indeptendent travelers so that we consider some issues differently than people who use guides or groups. No harm intended it's just that we look at things from an independent traveler point.

My wife and I were involved several years ago with a tear gas bomb that went off next in a cafe in Paris. Even though it was tear gas it has made us a bit more cautious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -