Search

Queensland Floods Update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queensland Floods Update

Many messages I've received in the last few days, both from overseas and Australian tourists regarding the terrible Queensland floods have expressed concern about the flood situation here in Cairns, wrongly reported as included. Just to set the record straight I quote from today's message from Tourism Queensland:

"whilst a vast area of Queensland has been badly affected, the majority of the state's tourism destination including Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Fraser Coast, Southern Downs Mackay, Whitsundays, Townsville and Tropical North Queensland are currently accessible and fully open for business".

Absolutely ideal conditions on reef today from Tropical North Queensland (Cairns/Port Douglas) with visitors reporting excellent snorkelling and diving, wind today a mere 7 knots on the reef and forecast 5-10knots for the next three days out of Cairns.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:01 AM

Beautiful here on the Tablelands too Pat.

On the creek I saw your friend's "penguin" and a Tree-Kangaroo not far away. Some people I came across had just been watching a Platypus for 20 minutes. I called on the Long-eared Bats in the shelter shed and visited the nest of a Pacific Baza where the chick is not far off fledging.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Pat, let me give you a great BIG hug!

Thank you for posting that.

My son and DIL arrived in Cairns last night and he emailed me to say conditions were fine (they are headed out to the reef for an overnight excurision).

I just got home and just listened to a message from my hair stylist on my answering machine that nearly set me into a panic -- "I heard about the horrible news in Australia...I'm concerned about your son...", etc. I wasn't sure what to believe!

So, so very glad you posted this update! Thanks a million (from a worried mother, lol).
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

seetheworld, your son and his wife will be having a great time on their liveaboard, just speaking to one of the reef operators out of Cairns and she said sea is calm, sun shining and underwater visibility amazing. I'd be out there like a shot if I didn't have to work!

As Alan has indicated above the weather is lovely too up on nearby Atherton Tablelands, so hope your son and wife get a chance to make the trip "up the hill".
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Nice one Pat, keep dry !!
Keep some of that water, it'll be a drought soon !!

Muck
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:13 AM

We've had so much rain here in Brisbane and still it continues to come. It's a worrying time - wondering if we'll flood again as in 1974.

Fingers crossed that won't be the case and my heart goes out to all those up north - absolutely devastating.

Glad you're high and dry Pat.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 06:57 AM

Pat, my son called last night to say hello and he and his wife had a wonderful time on the reef. They were the only ones there (seven plus crew) and it was as calm as could be! They did head to Tablelands and loved it!

I hope that those devastated by this flooding find relief soon.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Hi Pat - haven't visited the forum for a while and good to see you are keeping up the good work! We too keep receiving concerned emails from friends and family all over the world.

An absolutely magical day yet again in the Daintree Valley today - all we've had recently have been two short fierce thunderstorms which each time 'fried' the eftpos machine!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sunbird - yes, just a couple of short lived thunderstorms here in Cairns, didn't affect reef weather.

seethe world - glad your son enjoyed his liveaboard, and the Tablelands, thanks for the feedback.

stormbird - saw that heavy rain in Brisbane on TV news the other night - looked ferocious.

Just thought I'd post this link to show that there is no flooding in FNQ - www.cairnsgreatbarrierreef.org.au - there's a live webcam link. Only works of course in daylight hours, at the moment its showing glorious weather out on reef.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Still raining here - it just has not stopped and not expected to before Wednesday I believe.

We've had some very heavy downpours and we're all beginning to forget what the sun looks like.

Last time I complained about the weather it was because we hadn't had enough rain and we were literally running out of water and now - it's either a feast or famine, drought or flood - mother nature can really struggle to get things just right.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:02 AM

Gosh it is almost unbelievable to see what happened in Toowoomba and Helidon today. It was like watching a tsunami. The poor residents of Helidon only had time to scramble onto their roofs let alone try and save anything.

We've all had so much rain the ground just cannot hold any more water. Brisbane will be next I fear as I think the rain is expected to be around longer than the initially predicted Wednesday.

I think two people have lost their lives in Toowoomba. It was all so sudden.

This really is just the most horrible situation for so many, many people. Then at the end of all this they have the horrible clean up. Just devastating. My heart goes out to all.

We're high and dry where we live so no worries for us. I just can't get over how bad it all is.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:06 AM

stormbird, keep dry and ready to help. Lots of people up here needed help after cyclone Larry.

People fought back in all kinds of funny ways including the inappropriate and often illegal clearing of trees. Of course trees were the problem because they blocked roads, littered gardens and occasionally had hit houses. The point is that people will feel helpless and need to feel power and in charge of their lives again. I hope this can be handles better than we did it.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:07 AM

"handled" of course!!!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Thinking of all the South Queenslanders. Its a terrible situation in the Toowoomba area.
Now Brisbane in the path.
Take care, thinking of you
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM

The Brisbane River has started it's inundation. I believe there are close to 60 suburbs expected to be inundated.

The rain has just been relentless and I was thinking earlier this morning that when the sun does finally come out we're going to be like the Chilean miners and have to walk around with sunnies because we have been without it for so long.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Awful news, Stormbird, I heard the predictions on the news last night and thought of you in Brisbane. My heart goes out to the flood victims.

Here's hoping that the sun comes out and the flood waters abate soon.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Hot and plenty of sun here in Perth. Dry and crisp and no sign of rain yet. What a land of extremes we live in. Even after more than a week of media coverage of floods, I was shocked by the footage yesterday of people clinging to fences and road signs and 4WDs bobbing like leaves in the raging torrents. It's awful. My heart goes out to all those affected.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Latest from the Qld government:-

Parts of Central Queensland, the Outback, Toowoomba and Darling Downs, Lockyer Valley and Western Downs are currently affected by flooding and access is restricted in these areas.

Most tourism businesses in Bundaberg, Gladstone, Agnes Water and 1770, including Heron Island, Mon Repos Turtle Experience, Bargara beaches, Lady Elliot Island and Lady Musgrave Island, are now open and returning to normal business operation. There may however be some limited local road access.

The Whitsundays, Mackay, Townsville and Tropical North Queensland are currently accessible and most tourism operations in these regions are open for business. This includes beaches, island resorts, accommodation providers, tours and attractions.

Most tourism operations in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Fraser Coast, Southern Downs and Granite Belt are currently open; however localised flooding has affected road access in some of these areas. For latest road conditions visit http://131940.qld.gov.au/

With the exception of Rockhampton Airport, all Queensland airports are currently open. For those travelling by road, please visit http://131940.qld.gov.au/ for the latest updates on road closures and travel information.

Information on assistance for businesses affected by flooding can be found at the following link:

Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation website

People wishing to directly help flood victims can donate to the Queensland Government Flood Assistance Appeal at www.qld.gov.au/floods.

updates available at
http://www.tq.com.au/enewslink.cfm?e...tions_home.cfm
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I too was shocked by yesterday's footage from Toowoomba.

It's difficult to fathom the sheer amount of water and destruction, especially when watching it unfold from thirsty Perth.

Those of you affected are in my thoughts. Those of you who can, please donate to the flood appeal.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM

Here is some video from Toowoomba http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/01/11/3110493.htm

To see the place in happier times try Google Earth and look for Chalk Ln, Toowoomba Qld, Austalia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -