Thin Takes Choo-Choo in Heidiland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 5 weeks Keith and I will be arriving in Zurich.

We would like to know where at Zurich Airport we would purchase the Half-Fare Card for travel on Swiss trains.

When we leave Zurich for Wengen, do we just buy one ticket each >Zurich to Wengen< or do we have to buy seperate tickets at each bahnhof we arrive at. Example: Zurich to Luzern, Luzern to Interlaken, Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, Lauterbrunnen to Wengen.

We really don't want to have to go look for a ticket booth at each bahnhof before we get on the train.

Thank you for your help.

Thin
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many signs throughout the airport leading you to the airport train station. Basically, it's straight over and downstairs. You may buy your tickets there.

Just tell them you need tickets from Zürich airport to Wengen and it will be all on one ticket. No need to buy any other ticket.

Ask for a timetable of your train trip from Zürich airport to Wengen. The timetable will inform you of the stations where you need to change your trains and the Gleis/Perron/Platform you need to find for your next train.

Do not panic if there are only 5 minutes to change trains. You will make it.

You're welcome. Viel Spass in Berner Oberland.

Note: Heidiland is the Chur/Engadin area of Switzerland. Berner Oberland is the Jungfraujoch area.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:24 AM

You get all the tickets you need at the Zurich airport station.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:26 AM

To clarify, the train station is in the basement of the airport.

When do you arrive? You can map out your train trip by using the sbb.ch and choosing the En (English) version. Just put in the date you are traveling, the approx. time., your starting point and your destination. This is a very handy website and a fabulous app only found on iphones.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Wait, wait, sweetie darlings.

We aren't going to Wengen STRAIGHT from Zurich Airport.

We arrive in Zurich on August 18, and will leave for Wengen from Zurich Bahnhof on August 20.

So, we will be buying our tickets to Wengen from the Zurich Bahnhof at around 11:00 AM on August 20.

And please, please, do NOT send a TV camera crew to the Zurich Bahnhof to film my arrival.

I am sure there will be enough autograph hounds waiting for me in the lobby of the Hotel Baur au Lac.

PS
I call all of Switzerland "Heidiland" because I have a sister named Heidi.

Thin
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Enjoy a great trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Have a great trip. I love that area of Switzerland.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM

You still can buy all of your tickets when you arrive at the Zurich airport. For example, you can buy a ticket from the airport to Zurich Bahnhof AND return, and use the return portion in a couple of weeks from Zurich Bahnhof to the airport (not that this is necessarily your route--just an example based on something that I've done).
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your help.

Thin
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM

You can buy tickets ahead of time but you must use them on the day they are validated for or you will lose your money (unless you return them before the validated date).
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 02:14 AM

Enjoy the Baur au Lac, but I would have preferred Widder...

After you get your sugar buzz at Sprungli, if you want a bistrot style meal, a popular spot is La Lumiere
http://www.restaurant-lumiere.ch/

FYI, it can be a bit of a scrum down at the Zurich airport train station with long lines at the ticket windows and clumps of confused tourists pressing the wrong buttons at the ticket machines.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Hi Thin, dahling...we were in Switzerland last month and used the trains. (first time) Everything is incredibly well marked and punctual. Not sure if this would suit your needs, but we bought a SwissPass for 8 consecutive days (also available in 4 days) and it made travelling there so easy! We just woke up each day and decided what we wanted to do that day, then walked on whatever train took us there. With the pass, the trips up into the mountains are discounted 50%.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

I think it would be much cheaper to buy the 1/2 fare card because we will be in Switzerland longer than 8 days and you still only get 1/2 fare with the Swiss Pass for Mannlichen cable car and trip to Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch.

So, schuler, you are telling me that we CAN'T buy our tickets to Wengen from the Zurich Airport Bahnhof. We have to wait until we leave from Zurich Bahnhof on August 20 to buy our tickets to Wengen??????

Thanks,
Thin
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:16 AM

Thin:

You can buy any ticket from any place to any place anytime at any railway station in Swzitzerland.

Just remember that the tickets are valid only on the day they are made out for. So just be sure you make it very clear to the clerk WHEN you will use your ticket. If anything goes wrong and you have to change your plans, the tickets will be exchanged or refunded for a fee, if done bevor their intended day of use.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Phil.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Dang, darn correction programme, kicking in, when it shouldn't and staying asleep, when it should work.

Read: "Switzerland" and "before"

Phil.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:31 AM

You can buy all your tickets at the Zürich airport station, but you must be very clear about the days and times you are buying them for, as you will HAVE to be on THAT train. Do be prepared for lines with a lot of tourists buying tickets. It may slow your journey into Zürich itself a bit, but you'll have all your other train tickets taken care of for the rest of your trip.

Gute Reise!
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Also be sure and specify that you want to travel via Luzern, not the faster (and more expensive) route via Bern.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM

> as you will HAVE to be on THAT train.

WRONG. Where did you get that? It's the date you have to be careful about. You can take ANY train of the dates that's printed on your ticket because there is no seat resevation necessary nor possible.

And your ticket will normally be good for 1 month for long routes, such as Zurich to Wengen, from the date you asked your ticket to be valid for.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Have a great vacation; let me know if you need more fashion tips.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TycIbtnvFX...stcard+010.jpg
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM

"And your ticket will normally be good for 1 month for long routes, such as Zurich to Wengen, from the date you asked your ticket to be valid for."

Tickets are only good on the days they are issued for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -