Southern Caribean excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a cruise in July that ports in Barbados, St. Thomas, St, Marten, St. Lucia, Dominica and St. Kitts. We are in out 30's and very active. We would love to hear if anyone had a fantastic time on an excursion. We want to do one at each port. I have the list from the cruise ship but am having a hard time deciding. We would love some recommendations from people that have been on them.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I was on all of those islands this past January on a cruise. DH and I did not take excursions through the ship. Here are the excursions we took:

Barbados: Silvermoom Catamaran (www.silvermoonbarbados.com)- snorkel with turtles - fabulous trip

St. Lucia: Cosol Island tour (www.cosol-tours.com) with beach stop between the Pitons. Great tour and value for cost.

Dominica: Bumpiing tours (www.bumpiingtours.com) Roseau Valley Treasure tour with Champagne Reef snorkel. One of the best tours we have taken.

St. Kitts: Island tour with Thenford Grey (www.thenfordgrey.com) was great and learned quite a bit of island history.

Don't be afraid to book excursions that are not through the ship. You can save a lot of money and have a better, more personalized tour by booking your own tours. There is quite a bit of info on the ports at www.cruisecritic.com. Go to forums and then ports of call.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 02:46 AM

Agree on Bumpiing tours for Dominica
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM

OMG, BarbAnn, I wish I had seen your specific tours before we took our trip. I will save them for next time. . . We had a great time anyway, but your excursions sound wonderful.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Godfrey in St. Thomas is great. Silvermoon is the best. We will be doing this tour a second time soon.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM

We did a horseback tour into the rain forest in St. Kitts a few years back that was a lot of fun (sorry, can't remember the name of the company). Afterward, and then took a taxi to the monkey beach. It had lots of little beach bars with waiter service and lounge chairs you could rent for a few bucks--very relaxing.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM

Have been to several islands mentioned on various cruises. We also did not do excusions with the cruise ship. I sometimes book ahead, sometimes "wing it" at the tourist center, depending on my research and what others want to see.

St. Thomas - we took public transportation to Coral World and Coki Beach. We had teenagers with us and they were fascinated by CW and enjoyed swimming in the lagoon with the sea creatures. Our transportation ended up in "downtown" St. Thomas, where we went shopping, bought some duty free liquor and jewellry.

St. Maarten - there were 7 of us, we rented a mini-van for the day, explored the island, got to the French side for lunch, went swimming in Orient Bay (this is clothing optional beach!)

Barbados - there were 3 of us for this stop. We hired a tour guide at the tourist center who drove us all over the island. We saw Harrison's Cave, several plantations, an orchid farm, several beaches.