Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

BOSTON FAMILY TRIP: including martha's vineyard, porthsmouth...in May Please Help!

Search

BOSTON FAMILY TRIP: including martha's vineyard, porthsmouth...in May Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi!! we are planning a family trip just 10 adults-5couples to Boston (final April beginning May). It will be just for a week and None of us know the area, so we would like to see as many nice things as possible!! have heard wonderful things about marthas vineyard and portsmouth. Are they far? can we sleep in Boston and go to all these places just for the day? or do we need to sleep in some other place??
Please advice me on good hotels well located and also nice visits and restaurants
THANK YOU!!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Portsmouth is an hour's drive from Boston so it's definitely doable for a day trip.

You can fly from Boston to the Vineyard in 20 minutes. Driving to the Cape and then taking a ferry over is a longer process. I'm not sure I would go to the Vineyard that time of year, it will likely be pretty cold.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM

We stayed at the Marriott Long Wharf in September and loved it; if you stay there, request a water view. We had a view of a nice park on one side, and the water on the other. It was a great location right next to the aquarium and right on the blue line for the T. We just walked out the door to board the boat for whale watching and walked to the North End to enjoy great Italian food for dinner. We also did the Duck Tour, and the guided Freedom Trail Tour, and took in a Sox game at Fenway Park. Legal Sea Foods had a great lobster dinner - it's right across the street from the hotel. And we loved Regina's Pizza in the North End and Modern Pastry for cannoli. We also went to Nantucket via Cape Air - saves time that you would spend on a ferry, but it sounds like the weather will be cool that time of year. We got all our recommendation on this board, and we had a great time.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
TahitiTams

We just got back from Boston and never have been and stayed at the Westin Waterfront which was a new hotel, 4* and was one of the cheapest hotels for $229 a night with the heavenly beds..across from the T and walking distance of 10 minutes to downtown.
We found this hotel to be so reasonable for the 4* where others in the downtown area were $400-600 a night..
Love this city!

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

I didn't know we had to fly from boston to martha's vineyard...and we thought that in spring the weather in that area would be nice, are we wrong? nice places to sleep there?
in Boston we'd like to be in the centre (walking distance from places of interest)
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

sorry, forgot to say that as we are celebrating my parents anniversary we are looking for 5 stars hotels in both places
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Dear Carlota,
In that case, I would suggest that you consider the Four Seasons Hotel.
Jane
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

the latest reports on tripadvisor on the 4seasons are terrible...
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Well the Vineyard is an island so you can either fly or take the ferry as I mentioned. I always rent homes so I don't have lodging recommendations.

If you're going in late April/early May the weather could be cold and in the 40s or sunny and in the 70s. But the island will be pretty quiet and some things may not be open yet.

For the Portsmouth area, take a look at the Marriott Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM

I don't know anyone who flies to martha's vineyard - you can do it but I assume it'll cost you plenty. To get there without flying, you would drive from Boston to Woods Hole (maybe a 2hour drive?) then take the ferry over (45 minutes). If you want to bring a car on the ferry, you must make reservations very early. The MV Steamship Authority handles reservations and they begin taking requests in January and they book up right away for summer weekends - April/May should not be as bad. Alternatively, leave your car in the Woods Hole parking lot and get a shuttle bus to the ferry. So it's really giving up a day getting there and a day getting back. If the weather is great, the Vineyard is great. If the weather is not so great, it's not so great. If it were me, I would take a trip north to Portsmouth for a day or two; it's a little over an hour drive from Boston. There is a great downtown with all kinds of shops and restaurants. You could take a day trip further north up the Maine coast, or south to Newburyport, Mass. I think if you do a search here for Portsmouth NH you'll find lots of detailed info.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Carlota-I have been to MV twice in May-last time the second weekend. Several of our favorite restaurants were not yet open and some of the stores were mainly selling much of last year's inventory at very discounted prices. However, we do enjoy strolling around without the crowds and both times the weather has been pleasant. I have stayed twice at the Hob Knob Inn and like it a lot. I have flown both times to MV-once through Boston and once through Providence. I would not imagine wanting to just go for the day. Good luck!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 01:48 AM

I always think of Boston as having "areas". For visiting the North End (the culinary walking tour is great), Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall area, hotels like the Marriott Long Wharf are in a great location. It would be a cab ride to the theater district and shopping on Newbury St. The other area of Boston where it's popular to stay in the Copley area which is closer to the theater district and Newbury St.
Portsmouth is a great area but I would divide my stay between Boston and Portsmouth. From Portsmouth take some day trips to Maine. The Wentworth by the Sea is a great suggestion but it's not in the middle of things. Between Boston and Portsmouth you could easily spend a day stopping at places like the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem MA.
I hate to tell you but we have weird weather in New England. It could be in the 70-80s at the beginning of May but in late April we can also have snow. Spring doesn't really get started until more like the middle of May.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM

Carlota,

It's interesting reading everyone's comments. I disagree! The Vineyard can be beautiful in April, and yes, New England weather is changeable, but it will be no different in Portsmouth, NH which is also part of New England!

April on the Vineyard is a great time to enjoy the simple pleasures of the island, some sightseeing, beach walks, going to the movies, eating out, walking through the towns. We love it at that time of the year.

The easiest and most popular way to get to the Island is by ferry from Woods Hole. Go to www.steamshipauthority.com for information. The ferry runs hourly. You will want a car on the Island at this time of the year, so flying makes no sense. Flying is more expensive, infrequent and you don't really save much time, and then you'll need to rent a car anyways.

As far as hotels go, the Mansion House in Vineyard Haven is very nice (in town) but our favorite is Winnetu Oceanside Resort, located at South Beach in Edgartown. It's an all suite hotel that's beautiful with a great restaurant.

Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

Martha's Vineyard is a very nice place to visit, but I don't think it's worth the effort late April/early May. Many seasonal restaurants/shops will not be open. Though, you will receive off season rates for accomodations.

But, the weather is extremely iffy that time of year, the trees will not have leaves yet, and the flowers won't be in bloom, other than early spring bulbs. There is a very short "Spring", if there is one, on the island, and you just never know when that might be.

Boston and Portsmouth, on the other hand, will be just beautiful, with the flowering trees in bloom all over and leaves sprouting on all the trees.

There is, of course, plenty to see and do in Boston. And, Portsmouth is a wonderful destination (and a year-round one). Both are chock full of excellent dining opportunities.

Boston hotel rates (like many other cities) have skyrocketed in recent years. You'll do best planning dates after the Boston Marathon, but before all the college graduations.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM

Here are some suggestions for your trip: For Boston do your reservations early - May is college graduation time when hotels completely sell out. Be sure to start off with a Duck Tour - great fun and very informative. Enjoy a walk through Boston Public Garden (should just be coming into full spring bloom). Walk the Freedom Trail and have at least one meal in the North End (Italian neighborhood). Put the Union Oyster House in Faneuil Hall Marketplace on your list as it's the oldest operating restaurant in the US. You won't need a rental car in Boston (very walkable city or take the "T"). Just rent a car for your outings.

If you decide the Vineyard is too far to tackle, take a two hour drive to Cape Cod and spend an overnight in Chatham (quintessential cape village atmosphere)at the Chatham Bars Inn - gorgeous oceanfront old New England resort.

North of Boston I would suggest a day to see Salem and the Peabody Essex Museum. AND/or Rockport and Gloucester for lobster and seafaring tradition. If you want to venture further north, add Maine to your list and visit Kennebunkport.

With 10 adults you might want to price an 11 passenger van with driver to take you all sightseeing and leave the stress of Boston traffic to someone else!

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

One week in Boston with a day trip to Portsmouth, or to the north shore, or to Chatham as suggested perhaps for an overnight - sounds great - adding a trip to MV that time of year I think you need to think of what it is you want to see on MV and what your interests are

You can absolutely fly to MV for the day or an overnight from Logan Airport on Cape Air. That time of year it will probably run you about $ 100 each way and you will have choices of somewhere between 3-6 flights a day - it is about a 30 minute flight.

The ferry mentioned is the other option.

APril/May weather could go either way and if it was rainy/foggy/cold it could make for a miserable day or two on the island b/c the beauty of MV is walking the beaches, enjoying being surrounded by water, the small on time ferry to chappy, driving to the clay cliffs, - to me anyway. To do it justice you need more than one day, imo.

Boston has a lot to offer - a nice side trip one day, maybe even two , would make for a nice overall stay.

Other favorite hotels of mine you might want to consider - The Eliot - nice suites with lovely living rooms/bar area / etc = esp if a group traveling so you have places to chat and relax together -

Fairmont Copley Plaza - look into their Fairmont Gold Floor it is fabulous - lots of amenities you might appreciate for a week stay and with a group
(The Oak Room is a wonderful restaurant, as is the adjacent bar, for a special dinner)

XV Beacon

Restaurants: go to the North End one night -
depending on what type of Italian you want, would depend on where people might recommend - and have dessert at one of the lovely pastry shops like Modern, Maria's, Mikes

South End: 'restaurant row' - Hamersley's Bistro, Sibling RIvalry, Aquitaine, Pops, 28 Degrees (great with a group b/c of the smaller tasting size servings), Rocca's, Union, Sage, Stella's....

LaVoile - the new french brasserie on Newbury St - fabulous! (or Brasserie Joe's or Gaslight in the SOuth End) but for a special dinner traveling, I think I'd go with LaVoile.

Boston: Mistral, Sorrelina's (two of my favorites),
Troquet, Via Matta, Aujourd hui at the Four Seasons is always special -

the list is really endless !

You can look at all the menus on
www.opentable.com

and make your reservations there at the same time -

oh and go to Cambridge - spend the afternoon - also great museums - eat at Rialto or Henrietta's Table -

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM

I've just read everyone's responses and have to say I agree with Escargot. She's given you terrific advice in all areas.

Personally, I'd prefer a trip to the Cape or MV over a trip to Portsmouth but that's because I love the Cape. And weather on the Cape and the Vineyard at that time of year is as unpredictable as it will be in Boston. You don't say where you live, but we in Massachusetts know that Spring is very short and we can't count on great weather, really, until June. We have many nice days in May but it can also be downright cold and rainy then.

I don't agree with djkbooks, however (although I usually do). Boston's flowering trees won't be in bloom until Mother's day at about the same time as the Cape. And you seem to be planning a late April trip so just expect some leaves on our trees and lots of daffodils and tulips blooming at that time.

I would encourage you to go to your library or bookstore and pick up a travel book or two. It seems you would gain a great deal from getting a better overall view of the location of all of these sights and some general suggestions about lodging and areas of the city.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:16 AM

Martha's Vineyard-Try Hob Knob Inn.

Absolutely gorgeous. If you drive to the Cape for ferry to the Vineyard, you iwll need advance booking for car. Very expensive. Call The Island Queen in Woods Hole and also Hyannis for ticket info.

Regarding Boston-I live 9 miles outside the city. Lodging, yes the Four Seasons is nice-but I LOVE Bosotn Harbor Hotel. Great location, amazing dining, fabulous waterviews. If flying in, skip the cab and take the water shuttle form the airport. You will feel like James Bond! Water Shuttle will drop you off at the spectacular pier!

Great way to start your vacation.

GB
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM

Portsmouth-One hour drive.

Not sure about lodging. Dining,
the Dolphin Striker! Check out the bar in the basement-has a live stream that runs through the bar. The restaurant highlights this feature and built a special bar in which the stream runs through-you can see it through glass top!

For casual lunch-Fat Bellie's!
Huge burgers-friendly, eccletic atmosphere.

GB
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:51 AM

We go to Boston every year over the weekend ahead of the Boston Marathon and always see flowering trees - notably the Magnolias on Commonwealth Avenue. And, in addition to the early bulbs, there are usually pansies all over. Just beautiful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -