Search

Cabo San Lucas v. Guanacaste

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabo San Lucas v. Guanacaste

Hi, all,

I am going on a vacation with hilton points around April 2008 and was wondering if Costa Rica or Cabo San Lucas would be a better vacation.

Hilton has purchased the Fiesta Premier Resort in Pagagayo, so I'm not sure how that will be when renovations are finished.

I know both areas are different, but I was just interested on feedback about what people liked/disliked about both places. Thanks1
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Personally I would pick Costa Rica.

We go to Cabo usually once a year to get away. It's easy to get to from home. It's a desert/sea landscape but very beautiful. It's touristy and Americanized but still a nice trip. We stay at the Pacifica which is really quiet and relaxing. Lots of very good food in Cabo.

I've been to Costa Rica once and loved it. Stayed in the jungle, lots of animals. A completely different trip. Food is kind of bland, rice and beans.

Both places have lots of activities to do although Costa Rica is more nature oriented.

I've heard that the Hilton in Cabo is a very nice hotel.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Haven't been to Cabo, so not truly qualified to answer. I can tell you, though, that this particular area in Guanacaste is very nice--SO close to the airport in Liberia and also to a great national park that should provide some nice wildlife viewing for you--Rincon de la Vieja. You would also be close to a few areas that we find particularly enjoyable: Playas Hermosa, Potrero, Flamingo, Brasilito, Conchal, Tamarindo, Grande, all about an hour to an hour and a half south.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Haven't been to CR (though I have been seven times to Venzuela, Guatemala and Panama) but have been to Cabo often ... Cabo is best known for great marlin fishing, golfing and wild partying (though you can find resorts to kick back and take it easy). If those are your goals then it's perfect.

But if you want jungle nature tours or a more relaxed vacation or are put off by touristy places then Cabo may not be the place. (Some areas of CR have fishing that's about as good as Cabo's).

So what activities are you looking for on this vacation?

Bill
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

I am much more into relaxation and adventure. I went to Kauai last March and had the best time with whale watching, an ATV tour and a helicopter ride.

I'm also not big on crowded beaches or lots of drinking/partying.

Given that info, is CR looking like my best option?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM

For lush scenic tropical Pagagayo with access to canopy and zip line trips and April generally very good weather. Cabo is arid with almost almost assured warm weather and little to no rain. Cabo is a bit partyolike where much of Costa Rica is more laid back. I do not know the beach situation of course at the Fiesta but Cabo has some very nice beaches but little snorkeling in the immediate area but good but expensive deep sea fishing.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM

I have been to both Costa Rica and Cabo San Lucas. After 6 trips to Cabo, we decided that the Hilton was THE ONLY place to stay down there. IT is in the corridor, so it is away from the craziness of downtown Cabo, but it is a short drive down the road if that's what you want. If you head the other way, you'll hit San Juan, which is the hidden treasure of that area. The restaurants are to die for and the atmosphere is unreal. You will never have bad weather in Cabo, which is not to be 100% accurate in Costa Rica. It rains a lot year-round in Costa Rica. We were just invited to the new Hilton is Guanacaste when it opens in December, so if you want feedback on that hotel, let me know. I will gladly e-mail you when we return.

If it were my choice, I would choose Cabo. The food is amazing and there is sooo much to do.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM

<b>If you head the other way, you'll hit San Juan</b>

Good luck finding &quot;San Juan&quot; ... it's actually &quot;San Jose&quot; (ie, 'San Jose del Cabo')

<b>You will never have bad weather in Cabo</b>

Should be great in April (when the original poster is planning his trip) but &quot;never&quot; is too strong as there are usually 2-4 brief periods of heavy rains and possible high winds during hurricane season in Cabo. August and September are the worst months.

Bill

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your input. It is much appreciated.

DarraghBlachno, if you could let me know how the resort is when you visit in December, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!