Recommend visit to Biosphere (not Biodome) in Montreal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last weekend we were in Montreal and visited the Biosphere museum at parc Jean Drapeau on Isle St. Helene. This is the second time we have visited the museum since it opened in 1995 It is built inside the biosphere (geodesic dome) designed by Buckminster Fuller for the American pavilion at the 1967 Expo.
this year, the 40th anniversary of Expo, there is an interesting special exhibit on Expo and an exhibit on "Bucky's" different inventions and futuristic vision.
the main part of the museum has environmental exhibits including a big permanent exhibit on the St. Lawrence.
There are lots of interactive exhibits good for kids.
Last but not least it is fascinating to see the biosphere itself and there are great views of the city from viewing platforms.

this museum seldom appears on people's lists of things to do in Montreal so I thought I would mention/recommend it. It is easily reachable by Metro.
http://biosphere.ec.gc.ca/
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you 100% about the biosphere, which has some great interactive exhibits on the environment, life in the Saint Lawrence estuary and what we can do to protect it all. I'll take it any day of the week over the Biodome, with these poor animals put into artificial climate zones.