Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite thing to do or see in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that our "historic New England" trip is going to begin with 5 days in NYC. My daughters (14 and 11) want to add this because of the shopping opportunities. The guys (DH and son 16) aren't so excited. I admit that we've recently taken the kids on terrific trips out of the country, but don't know a lot about NYC.

I've read the guide book "must dos" and know what we "should do." However, I want to hear from you: What is your very favorite thing to do or see in New York City?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Easy -- Broadway shows -- as many as I can cram in the schedule.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Central Park. Any of it.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Celebrity spotting

Go stand outside of the news shows in the morning.

If Letterman is taping, stand by the stage door after 5pm. His show is in the Ed Sullivan Theatre in Times Square.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM
MaureenB

NYC is a great city for walking through its various neighborhoods. The Top of the Rock is a beautiful view at sunset. So much to do in that city.

One Fodorite wrote up a nice walking tour for us, when we were staying down at the Embassy Suites, near Ground Zero and Wall Street. I can post it if you'd like, and my trip report.
>-

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Please do, because we are booked at the Embassy Suites, too. Did you like it? I booked it as a "fall back" and then read the good Trip Advisor reviews.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:19 AM
MaureenB

Missypie, I know we've exchanged notes on European trips, too! And, yes, we were happy at the Embassy Suites downtown. It is not fancy per se, and our room could use a face lift, but we got a very good price on it and the full, hot breakfast buffet clinched it for us with our two kids. What time of year will you be there? (We were there last October.)

Here's the walking tour written for us, by Fodorite Ellenem, because we wanted to visit Ground Zero, Wall Street, and walk through the other neighborhoods north of our hotel:

"Walking tour from Embassy Suites:
From your hotel (North End Ave?) walk south to the World Financial Center marina. Walk east through the plaza and enter the Winter Garden (featuring palm trees). This space was heavily damaged when the WTC fell and the original palm trees died. Walk up the wide steps for a great overlook of the WTC site. This spot used to be the begining of a pedestrian bridge to the WTC complex. (Look to the far right (south) and you will see an existing pedestrian bridge for which you are heading.)

Follow signs to the right through the building complex (Two World Financial Center, then into One World Financial Center) to the South Bridge. This bridge ends along the southern edge of the site (Liberty St) where there are a number of displays mounted on the surrounding fence, describing original construction, the attack, and listing those who were lost that day.

Continue walking east to Broadway. Turn right (south) and a few blocks down visit Trinity Chapel (Aleaxander Hamilton is in the graveyard) and Wall St which is opposite.

Head back up Broadway (north) to Fulton St and St Paul's Chapel (George Washington's church and rest stop for many WTC rescue workers).

Continue north on Broadway. At Barclay St is the Woolworth Building (once the tallest in the world) and City Hall Park and City Hall opposite.

North of City Hall, go west on any side street to West Broadway. You are now in Tribeca. Walk north along West Broadway, taking in side streets as you like.

Continue north on West Broadway and cross Canal St. Now you are in Soho. Walk north along West Broadway, taking in side streets as you like.

Continue north on West Broadway and cross Houston (pronounced How-ston) St. Now you are in Greenwich Village. Walk north along Laguardia Place (the continuation of West Broadway) which ends at Washington Square Park.

You might walk along the south side of the park, or take a left (west) on Bleecker St before reaching the Park.

Two alternate routes:

1) Take Bleecker St left (west) through the center of the Village--shops, clubs, bars. You can follow it across 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas) where it angles slightly north. This begins the West Village. You'll pass John's Pizzeria before you reach 7th Ave. Across Seventh you can enjoy more quaint streets with cute little houses. If you go this way, I'd recommend turning west on Grove St, looking at the truly skinny houses on Bedford St near Grove and checking out the house in the mews (Grove Court?) on the left just before you hit Hudson St (8th Ave). Continue northish on Bleecker or Hudson to West 10th or West 11th St and turn right (east). Follow these back east, through the central village, past some of the prettiest and more expensive little houses in Greenwich Village (bet 5th and 6th). (If you take 11th St, you'll have to go south to 10th St since the street doesn't go through at Broadway.)

Keep going all the way to 2nd Ave, the main drag of the East Village. Second Ave and the side streets (10th, 9th, St Marks, 7th, 6th, 5th, and more) are full of fun little shops nad restaurants.

2) Washington Sq South is also West 4th St. This is NYU territory--their large library and main campus is just east of Laguardia along the park.

Walk into the park and walk north to the Washington Square Arch located at the foot of 5th Ave. Note the nice townhouses along the north side of the park, many owned by NYU. Walk north a short block and turn right into the Washington mews, a street of carriage houses, many now owned by NYU. When you come out of the mews, you are facing an NYU dorm. Turn north on Univeristy Pl and walk a short block to 8th St. Turn right (east) and walk along a shopping street, cross Broadway, pass the big black cube at Lafayette St and give it a spin. 8th St does odd things here--over a span of three blocks it changes its name to Astor Place and then St Marks Place (at 3rd Ave). St Marks Place is a teenagers delight, with T-shirt shops and other stuff parents may not like them to buy--but they'll have ball. Second Ave and the side streets (10th, 9th, St Marks, 7th, 6th, 5th, and more) are full of fun little shops and restaurants."

And, here's my trip report:

"Our family of four really enjoyed our three nights in NYC last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The weather was in the 70s, a bit windy, but mostly sunny the whole time. It was gorgeous. We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown, for its suites and great breakfast buffet included.

Thanks especially to Elennem, who provided such a detailed walking tour from our hotel to the Civic Center, Macy's, SoHo, TriBeCa, Greenwich. We did it almost to the letter, and it was really helpful. We took our time admiring the sites, and walked all day both days.

Our first stop was to pay our respects at Ground Zero, which was much more emotional than we'd even expected. So sad and hard to bear. We couldn't even imagine what it was like for New Yorkers during those horrid days and weeks, looking for loved ones. We visited St. Paul's across the street, which was definitely an important place to see and to light a candle.

Highlights of our weekend included:
The Top of the Rock on Sunday at sunset. We spent about an hour sitting inside, walking outside, watching the city light up. Awesome. (And no line, no crowds.) Thanks to another fodorite, we had downloaded a 20 percent discount coupon, which helped, since it was still about $63 for four adults. Too bad there isn't a simple cafe up there.

Our first dinner was excellent: at Palma, 28 Cornelia Street, 212 691 2223, www.PalmaNYC.com. (I think we were still in Greenwich?) A friend who lives in Greenwich recommended it. We were able to get a table, because it was early that evening. It's a very low-key elegant place, in a contemporary and minimalist style-- if that makes sense. We had a very nice dinner there.

On Sunday, in the early evening, we enjoyed an appetizer and wine at the Knickerbocker Bar and Grill, 33 University Place, at 9th and University, 212 228 8490. We would have stayed for dinner, as the menu looked great and the atmosphere was cozy, but we weren't hungry yet. Very nice place.

Another Fodorite gave me the very good advice to look for little restaurants in the Time Square area, by walking a few blocks west from the Marriott there. It was great advice, as there are restaurants in every doorway, and each looked great. We chose Danny's Grand Sea Palace, www.dannysgsp.com, at 346-348 West 46th Street, 212 265 8130. It was pretty good, not great, but fine.

So thanks to all the Fodorites who gave us such great tips to make our weekend a success."
>-

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! The walking tour seems like an all day thing...was it?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:56 AM
MaureenB

Well, it took us probably from about 11:00 a.m. to dinnertime, because we took our time at it. It was a beautiful day to walk. We stopped in a couple of shops, got a snack/coffee, etc. We chose to end the day for dinner in Greenwich, at Palma.

The next day we headed up to Central Park and walked all over the Upper East and Upper West sides.

We only had two full days in NYC.
>-

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM

If the weather is nice, rent a rowboat in central park for an hour. Such a nice change from all the other running around you'll be doing.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I still love the lady in the harbor.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:46 AM
MaureenB

P.S. Missypie, A nice place to visit, also in Central Park, is the Imagine mosaic memorial, a tribute to John Lennon. Your girls might be interested in that, too. There's an interesting story to it-- I think it's from Italy, but I don't know for sure.

There also could be live music in the park, as there was the afternoon we walked through. Seemed like a spontaneous gathering of a band and it's audience, nothing with admission tickets.
>-

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
MaureenB

Forgot to mention you will have great views of Lady Liberty from your hotel's upstairs walkway. The Embassy Suites is right at the marina.
>-

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Like NeoPatrick, for us it's always the theater--Broadway, off-Broadway, off-off-Broadway, whatever.

We've been known to see four plays in three days, and the only reason we didn't see five is the need to spend some time with family members.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:24 AM

My most favorite way to spend a day (or a half) is walking around the village. Browsing, shopping and popping in here or there for a bite to eat or a drink. There's always something odd going on and it's just a cool area.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM

missypie:
Not sure what time of the year you are coming but, something I always enjoy (and you did mention hubby and son) is the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. The guys should enjoy it and the ladies can just take in the views very beautiful, I always (during the summer visits) enjoy a visit here. Hope this helps.
Gina
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:38 AM

It's been awhile since I've done it, but Friday night at the Metropolitan Museum is always a great NYC thing to do when the weather is good. Your kids are a bit young for cocktails, but they could enjoy a soda on the rooftop scuplture garden while overlooking Central Park.

I think the Circle Line is WAY overrated and find the Staten Island Ferry to be a better option. If you combine that with a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, you'll get some great skyline pictures.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:39 AM

FYI, The Intrepid is closed and will be until well into 2008. The carrier is in Bayonne being refurbished.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Ryan:
thanks for that info. sorry missypie, I did not know this. I was actually thinking of visiting in July and taking my friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -