Search

Souvenirs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Souvenirs

I am looking forward do doing some market-shopping throughout Laos and Cambodia. What are some of people's favourite traditional/local souvenirs and wares (i.e. silk scarves) that they like to but while in Laos and Cambodia?
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM

The lovely hand weavings in Laos are worth buying. Do learn something about the weaving traditions and what the markers of quality are. There is a traditional weaving village close to Luang Prabang (no the whisky village).
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Bracelets are cheap and plentiful with lots of different designs. They make a great gift for teens. But the scarves - oh yes - the scarves. So many colors to choose from! And so reasonably priced. I bought... um... a lot!
Karen
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 06:47 AM

In addition to gorgeous silks (scarves, a wall hanging, purses, and pillow tops), I bought a wood carved turtle (in a style reminiscent of the Angkor carvings) at Artisans D'Angkor in Siem Reap, a monkey carved from a local pale green marble at the Russian Market in Phnom Penh, and a couple of sarongs. I bought two CDs of traditional Cambodian music, one of which I purchased from an ensemble of landmine survivors who support themselves by playing at the temple ruins of Angkor. I also visited an after-school program sponsored by a Buddhist monastery near Siem Reap in which poor children are trained in making shadow puppets as a vocational skill, and I bought one of the puppets (pictured at link):
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...amp;p=73622383
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:31 AM

I find baskets are neat to bring back. Bread baskets, purses, trays, big ones and little ones. Try to get ones that stack inside each other. Put your dirty clothes in/around the layers(I usually put the dirty clothes in plastic bags to keep the baskets some what clean). Then go to the local dapartment store and buy a tupperware type box the stack will fit in. More laundry around them to make it a tight fit, and pop it in your suitcase...no worries, your baskets are light weight and arrive home in tip top shape. There are so many different weaves and materials that baskets are made of.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Artisans d'Angkor is my favorite place to shop in Siem Reap. Not cheap, but the items are well made and of good quality. On my most recent visit I purchased silk pillow covers, lovely black silk palazzo pants and shipped a 6' wood buddha home to florida.
I've been there twice, hope to go again.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for these suggestions. I will keep an eye out for the things mentioned above.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I also bought two Buddha busts in Cambodia, each about a foot tall. One is a stone carving from Artisans d' Angkor, and the other is wood, from a stand near the one of the temples. (The former was $70 and the latter about $20, as I remember). They're very different, but both are lovely. They flank my fireplace mantle.
Pillowcases (for throw pillows) are also really nice - and a good bargain.