The Tides Inn in Irvington, VA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 45th wedding anniversary weekend trip for my parents and our extended family. The grandkids are 2-4 yrs old and then a 15 year old and we also have someone in their 30's traveling with us who is in a wheelchair. So, we are looking for a property that is nice but that may have something for everyone. I know nothing about this property other than what I've read online. Any thoughts on whether this would suit our needs? The other option we were thinking of was the Hyatt Regency on Chesapeake Bay. Thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:05 AM

I went to this property for a business meeting about 5 years ago and it was terrible - mind you a lot could have changed by now.
It was very run down and past its' prime- the sponsors of the meeting were very embarrassed about the property.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Drove 9 hours from NYC.

Maybe we were slightly out of our element. We appreciate luxury - but it was very...southern. We are New - Yawkers, and the croquet/white dress, martini drinkin' society there wasn't much our thing.

That said - the property is pretty as is the river. But for the money, why the carpet was stained and dirty i have no idea. and our suite looked out onto a dirty water fountain. the golf was sub-par (bad pun.) How this is in the LHW I have no idea.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Their website does look nice but I know nothing personally about it.

Do you specifically want to be in the Chesapeake Bay area of VA or are you just looking for a nice place anywhere in VA?
What's your budget ?
What kinds of actiities are important--shopping, swimming, history, outdoors?

I don't know anything about the Tides Inn but either myself or others would probably be able to offer alternative suggestions if we knew a bit more about your plans and budget. For example, The Homestead (on the other side of VA) is high end, has golf and swimming or skiing/skating depedning on the season, outdoor activities and is near some scenic and historical sites. But it's expensive and may be out of the area you are considering or may not offer the ctivities you want.

Of course, Hopefully more people will post with opinions on your specific Inn!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:00 PM

I have a client considering this property for next year. This is what the sales manager provided on recent renovations. I do not have a personal experience.

Major structural and room renovations within the past two years, all hard goods and soft goods as well. 3/06
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM

I love the Tides Inn. My family is from around that area and two of my cousins had very lavish weddings there. From what I saw, it was beautiful, very "southern". Also, Irvington is a great little town with little shops to poke in. I am from Virginia Beach, there is a new Hilton hotel at the oceanfront that is beautiful. I'm not sure where the Hyatt is on the bay? Annapolis would also be a lovely place to go.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM

Though I haven't been to this property - 2 similar properties in the vicinity are Keswick Hall and Berry Hill Plantation. Both are lovely, but berry hill is significantly cheaper.