what's the minimum lead time needed for a FF ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have enough points on Delta for a FF ticket. And I might have some time off soon (not sure yet). So I was wondering if I could book a ff flight the day ahead of possible trip or if I need to have more time.

I hear about people booking as soon as possible, I want to do the opposite and book as late as possible.

I have a few options of where I'd like to go and I don't have a preference over which location. Sort of like a mystery trip.

And I just read the thread about airlines 'combining' low-load flights so I hope if I book as late as possible, they won't rescedule my flights.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Attempt #2 to get this to post, if the other one appears, please ignore this one.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Trying again to get this to post. Once again, if the posts multiple time, please only respond to the fist post.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:58 AM

I fly on Continental, mostly, and they have a good website for FF availability. Some months ago I looked up some potential flights. There was small availability 11 months out, when the tickets first go on the board, but they disappeared instantly (other people must have been ready to buy); just for information, I looked for current tickets, and I was surprised how much availability there was within a week. This was for international flights; I don't think it would work for domestic flights, as Continental starts giving upgrades to elite qualified passengers five days out.

Try Delta's web site and see if they have such postings. If not, give them a call and have them look up some next day flights for availability. I never actually tried this, as I need more time to plan than a day.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Most airlines charge a last-minute fee for issuing FF award within 14 or 7 days. Check delta.com or call the SkyMiles desk for specifics. The fees are waived by some airlines for their top/high-tier Elite members.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Other than the $50 per ticket redemption fee for redeeming an award 14 days or less prior to travel, I don't see any reason why you can't book a day ahead of departure, assuming there's availability.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

This actually posted. Wow.

Good to know about the 14 day rule. I'm nowhere near elite status so I'm not going to get a waiver.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Delta's award redemption fee is $50 for redemption 20 days or less before flight.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Of course, whether or not you are successful in getting FF Award tickets depends on your destination and the availability of award seats as there are only a limited number of award seats on any given flight - just because there are empty seats on a flight doen't mean the airline will release them for FF awards. The only way to be sure is to call the airline. You can increase your chances of success by being flexible with your dates of travel.