Search

MA hotels must decide by noon!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MA hotels must decide by noon!!

Hi all,

Well I started planning my december trip late and although I have had some trouble with hotels,I've actually managed to find something everywhere I am going. Now my problem - I need to decide by noon EST thursday on a premier suite at La Mariposa or a standard room at Hotel California. I will be there on New Years Eve - if that matters for anything (not sure if one is better than the other for events or location). It is just my husband and myself and we are looking for clean, comfortable, good location to park and animal sightseeing. Not planning on spending much time at hotel, but may end up there if park is closed New Years day.

I have read good things about both, but if it was you which one would you prefer?

Oh - the cost is $135 + tax per night for HC and I'm not sure on LM (it's through ricotours and I would be paying $964 including tax for 2 nights MA and 2 nights San Jose - it sound like a lot, but not much available on this late notice!!)

I'm willing to pay the high rates if you all think La Mariposa is worth it. Thanks for the advice!!

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 10:07 PM

With the way that this site has been "acting up" lately, I'm thinking of changing my screen name to TripleDayDelay. Don't be offended if you don't receive a reply to your question. For the past couple of weeks, it has taken me several tries at several different times of the day to post messages on any of the boards on this site. Maybe you, too, had difficulties?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Ladybug98,
La Mariposa seems to be in a better location, closer to other hotels and restaurants. I've also heard great things about Hotel California, although I never even spotted it while I was there. I believe it is on another road other than the main road, however, nothing is really that "far" in that area if you have a car. I guess if I had a car, I would probably save the money and go to Hotel California to save the money since both are decent hotels.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:50 AM

Hotel California is actually just off the main road, left side, but a short distance up a side road. The sign where you turn is on the main road (also on the left), but it is very small (has a seashell on it, I believe). We made a couple of passes before we located it. There was some construction around the pool area when we stayed at HC, but we thought the rooms were fine. If you are on the upper level, you'll have a better view. I'm not sure how important it is to have the ocean view room since you probably won't spend much time there, as you said. Our experience was that the service in the restaurant was a little slow, but we only ate there once so can't really know for sure. I'd stay there again.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM

The Hotel California was located just across the road from the Mono Azul (Blue Monkey). We had a private driver and he had problems finding it! Anyway up the hill, at the end of the road. We used the bus a couple times back and forth to the beach and missed getting off twice!! Oh Well! We just went on into Quepos for a a while.

Anyway the food service was sometimes a little slow, but the food was delicious when we were there. I now there were plans to add some suites or condos, don't know if that happened.

We were not in a standard room, but the deluxe rooms were nice.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:44 AM

I'd take the premier suite at La Mariposa. Excellent location for the hotel and the best sunset view bar in the entire area!
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Hi there, We stayed at Hotel California during March break and I have to say we did not get much sleep. They rent to spring breakers and there is no one in the hotel office during the night to help with problems. There is a security guard but he was useless to help with 6 drunks. Anyways my point was it is a quite noisy hotel, also there pool chairs are quite uncomfortable. They were apologetic but after the fact.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 09:11 PM

We just got back from CR 2 weeks ago and stayed at La Mariposa. I thought it was great. We stayed in a premier suite with unobstructed views of MA. It was fabulous. It also had a little kitchenette that worked out great for us. The pool area reminded me of an Italian villa. The hotel is a little older but still very nice. I do have to say my husband wasn't thrilled at first, and we did end up switching rooms. But I think it was because MA was the most expensive of any of the other areas we were at and he wasn't expecting that. P.S. Cafe Milagro has a killer breakfast. We were there every morning.