Reload this Page >

European Crossword Puzzle #10

Search

European Crossword Puzzle #10

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:21 AM
cmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Ann Marie is registered as amp322, but sometimes signs her name in the text.

I think the musicians mostly posted on the Caribbean forum. I sat across from a woman who travels widely in the US, but not much or maybe not at all in Europe.

I'm home today so will post a new clue. I'd forgotten. I have a terrible cough that is much much worse at work in the dry heat (also in my car if I turn on the heat, and had to leave my little adult school class early last night because of a coughing fit that wouldn't stop). Aggravated by some allergy, I guess. It's a bad problem when I get phone calls! If I still have it tomorrow I'll go in, but mayeb go off to the library to write in peace, so at least I won't be getting phone calls and coughing in people's ears.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:28 AM
yk

cmt- hope you'll feel better soon! Are you a university professor by any chance? For some reason, you reminds me of Terry Gross (but I don't think she's coughing today )
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry to hear about the cold. Well post a clue only if you can. If it's too taxing, don't worry. We're not that bored....
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:57 AM
cmt

No, a lawyer for a state agency. I spend most of the day writing. Yesterday every time I opened my mouth I coughed. Workplace allergy? It's very dry, chemically polluted, recirculated air. At home, I cough less, despite the dust and dog and cat hair. I've had this cold since second week of my Turkey trip, and I really don't think I'm very sick at this point, but this cough is totally out of control and exhausting and scares everyone around me.

I can post today, because I'm home. At work I have to be very quick on the Internet, so can't do searches or check often or write in depth.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I've had these nasty coughs before. They take a while to go away.

I didn't know that you're a lawyer, actually. I may take the LSAT in December. I'm finding the test quite challenging (was expecting it to be much easier). I still want to take it, but I don't really want to waste the time for it either.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:13 AM
cmt

You'll probably do well on the test. (I did.) I went to law school in my early 30s. There are too many lawyers, though. There are many reasons not to go to law school, or at least not to become a lawyer, but the test should not be the thing that deters you.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Well, I think that the test has changed a great deal. I don't know if you've seen a recent version, but if you're curious, you can look at a complete one on lsac.org:

http://cachewww.lsac.org/pdfs/2004-2005/LSAT-test.pdf

The "games" section is pretty challenging, and I find this odd, since I was trained mathematically. I also don't read all that quickly, but I guess that's the least of my troubles at the moment.

Anyway, I guess the real issue is that I only want to go to a good school -- it would be a pretty pointless exercise otherwise. At the present moment, I'm having doubts as to whether I can even reach the median LSAT scores at these places (around a 167/180). It sounds easy, but I'm finding that it's definitely not.

So we'll see.

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 09:54 PM
yk

OK. I'm bored. I'm at work but nothing's going on and I can't sleep. Here's what I found about the GTG (which surprisingly neither one of you replied to that thread):
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34474731
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Interesting. I missed that thread completely. Didn't I tell you that I don't spend that much time reading the forum?

Anyway, at least I responded to the evite and went as I responded....

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:56 AM
cmt

Yesterday I replied to that post about the test. Then an hour or two later, I noticed that the post wasn't showing up, and I replied again, saying that I'd posted a response. Neither shows up. I give up.

I never noticed that post-GTG thread. Was it on the Europe forum? The GTG notices had been posted in every single geographic forum--Eur., US, Canada, Asia, Africa, etc. That restauranbt was actually a last-minute choice. Someone was ehlping me look for a place in Chinatown, but when nothing was definite a week before the GTG I got nervous that we wouldn't have anything in time to let everyone know the location. So I hurried up and picked that other place because I knew that they accommodated small groups pretty nicely, since there'd been another GTG (not Fodors) a year or two earlier. I thought the food was so-so. It had been better the previous time. Cute place, but it looked better before the fire.

Do you want to help me plan another GTG? I should still have the old mailing list in Evite, though I no longer have it in that Yahoo acount that I used specifically for planning, because it went inactive.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

So any words of wisdom about the test? Did you bother to look at the sample test? Somehow I think that I'm smarter than what my scores are saying. Maybe not.

I checked again and the GTG thread was on the US forum, which I don't read. I guess that's why I missed it.

I agree with you that Mangeoire is so-so.

I think that I still prefer a little bit of anonymity -- so if I help you plan the GTG, then I can't be anonymous and maybe I can't run for public office down the road. Just joking. Well, we'll see. I don't think that I want to spearhead the effort though, that's for sure, but keep me posted if you're going to plan one and I'll see what I can do.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Is yk planning any trips to NYC? Maybe we should plan one when she's here.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:03 AM
yk

Thanks for thinking of me, but I don't think NYC is on my list anytime soon. (I'm hoping Colorado & Switzerland in late winter/early spring.) I suppose I can just fly up to NYC for a weekend to see my friends (and visit MOMA) if you decide to have a GTG on a weekend in Manhattan.

BTW, there was a NYC/NJ GTG recently organized by Budman. I thought neither one of you were interested in GTG as you didn't go.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

NJ always seems far for me. I can't be bothered. I'm on the East Side of town and sometimes going to the West Side seems like a major hassle. It's actually not much of an exaggeration, since crosstown traffic can be horrendous.

Switzerland sounds great.

I need to go somewhere again. A friend is flying to Venice today and will be there until Sunday. I'm jealous.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:19 AM
yk

I agree w/you. My friends live around Murray Hill area, and even going to Lincoln Center seems such a hassle. I used to hate those late nights getting out of the Met in bitter cold weather, then taking the x-town 66 bus and then changing for the 102 (?). Sometimes it took an hour just to get back to their place!

I don't know if either Colorado or Switzerland would pan out. It's just a thought right now. The difficulty is getting time off, as I want to go skiing, which requires more than just a 3-4 day trip.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

I'm using the bus more often now, but it's really ridiculous, and it's sometimes just as fast to walk. I remember reading an article in the Metro section once -- that someone did some nonscientific experiment which involved walking and taking the crosstown bus (I forget which one), and the person who walked got to the destination about the same time (or earlier) than the bus.

I take the cab a lot, but after the fare increase, these fares are making my blood pressure rise.

I think that a lot of things in NYC make my blood pressure rise.