Search

to Azores from Lisbon or not to...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to Azores from Lisbon or not to...

Hello,
I'm planning a ~3 week trip in May that will end in Lisbon. I'd appreciate thoughts on the idea of taking time to visit the Azores, Faial specifically.

I have yet to find a travel guide for the Azores. The only one I've seen in the local bookstores was a 4 year old Bradt. Looks like I will have to buy online, which I hate to do site unseen. Any suggestions for a good guide?

Airfare to Horta on TAP is about E220, which seems a bit steep? Is there another airline option I haven't found? Or fly to a different island and take a ferry?

Or should I skip the Azores altogether on this trip, stay in Lisbon and drink port?

This is my first int'l trip in too long that won't involve work. I'm very excited (needless to say?) and prone to over-scheduling. I received great tips from the forum for previous holidays - hoping for the same this time.

Thank you!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM

What city does your trip start?
SATA Airlines flys from Boston to the Azores.

tico
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 01:50 AM

I have flown TAP Lisbon to/from Sao Miguel and Terceira. SATA operates inter-Island services: flying SATA (i.e., to Faial) can be inexpensive if you show them your ticket from the Portuguese mainland.

Why the Açores? Why not Madeira??

My Baedeker's Portugal Guidebook has about 12 pages dedicated to the Azores. That's not enough!
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We flew from Porto on a low cost flyer TAP and the new one almost follow each other across the sky but by booking it as part of a package we go t lower prices.

Is it worth it? Is it worth visiting a crime free green paradise which suffers four seasons every day and some of the most relaxed inhabitants in the Northern Hemisphere

Tricky one: No stay away, everyone stay away and leave it alone.

Seriously though I loved every minute of a two week break
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM

bilboburgler writes: "Is it worth it? Is it worth visiting a crime free green paradise which suffers four seasons every day and some of the most relaxed inhabitants in the Northern Hemisphere"

And they brew a pretty good beer on Sao Miguel Island.

Ponta Delgada can be very relaxing: I watched as a ferry (about a 16ft outboard) took a lady across the Port from near the Capitania over to the high rise Condo community (populated in large part by wealthy German retirees). It was very early AM and the lady was probably going to work.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

I'll do some more air fare shopping, but the crime free green relaxed paradise with good beer may deserve its own holiday. Doesn't sound like I'd want to leave in 2 or 3 days.

Azores because that's where the grandparents came from. Unfortunately no known family remains.

Thanks much!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM

SuziePDX-I have an article in my Portugal file on the Azores. It is from Travel & Leisure April 2005. I clip articles & save them if they look like places I'd like to go to some day. This trip we have planned for Sept won't include this since we are going to Madeira for a week. If you would like me to send it to you I will gladly do so. e-mail me direct so you can give me your address. It looks like a lovely place to visit-especially if your family came from there-Chris
[email protected]
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM

I was in the Azores only one evening and morning on route to somewhere else, but had one of the most memorable meals ever. The stone walls and cows would inspire any landscape painter. People were very friendly. I would like to go back for a week in summer just to paint. After your trip, please let us know what you do.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

BeniciaChris,
I found the Travel & Leisure article online, thank you!

My favorite cousin just put the final kibosh on going to the Azores this trip - told me if I went without her I'd be excommunicated from the family. So it looks like we'll be going 2 years from now.