Search

Denmark in 8 days

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2024, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denmark in 8 days

Greetings fellow fodorites.
My wife and I are planning a six-week European trip in 2025 which includes an 8-night stay in Denmark. Our plan is to base ourselves in Copenhagen for 5 nights and Aarhus for 3 nights.
While in Copenhagen we plan to see: Tivoli Gardens, Nyhavn, Rosenborg Castle, The Little Mermaid and 3 single day trips to Roskilde, Helsingor and Odense.
While in Aarhus we plan to: Visit the Old Town (Den Gamle By), the Latin Quarter and catch up with some work colleagues who visited Australia several years ago.

We would also like to catch a train from Aarhus to Copenhagen Airport and fly to London on our last day.

So, firstly, is our plan feasible and secondly, are their any glaring additions, omissions or modifications we should consider?

Thanks in advance and kind regards, Steve.
Old May 24th, 2024, 11:48 PM

Totally feasible

It looks like a good plan to me. You list the typical tourist sites but I am sure you'll discover other interesting places as well as you explore the area. From Copenhagen you could travel to Helsingør for a day trip and even take a ferry over to Helsingborg in Sweden. From Aarhus, you could take a train to Skagen, which is the northernmost tip of Denmark. It's very famous for its beauty.
Old May 25th, 2024, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the quick reply Ez73. This is the reason I love consulting Fodor! Helsingborg sounds wonderful (and I had never heard of it before). The thing we love most about Europe - coming from such a young country - is visiting Old Towns and apparently Helsingborg has one of the best. And we will definitely look into taking a train to Skagen as well.

Based on our planned sightseeing (and train public transport for our day trips) in Copenhagen, can you suggest an area we should stay? We usually prefer self-contained, apartment type accommodation so we can prepare our own meals in addition to the occasional dinner out.
Thanks again for the prompt reply.
Old May 25th, 2024, 01:18 AM

The Little Mermaid is just that. Little, no more than a few minutes, at most, viewing time. Truly up there with Manneke Pis as one of the worlds most overhyped and totally disappointing statues. Just my opinion of course but it doesn't need much time and can be fitted in easily enough.

With 8 days i think you could see more of the country. Less time in cities and enjoy the Danish countryside more. Rent bikes or hire a car and see more. It is a lovely country.

You don't say when you are visiting, but check the dates of the Roskilde festival if it is late June/early July.
Old May 25th, 2024, 02:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
where you stay depends on transport and budget. I used bikes and buses in Denmark last time (well mainly bikes) and I stayed in some of the container hotels they have down near the docks. But if you want to use the train and bus a lot then find a hotel near there.
Old May 25th, 2024, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi hetismij2. As far as the festival goes, unfortunately we will be in Denmark from late May to around the 6th of June. As I mentioned, we are on a 6 week trip which includes Denmark, London, a three week cruise through Norway, Scotland and Amsterdam and finally a 7 night stay in Iceland. Can you be more specific about what regions of the Danish countryside you recommend? BTW, I know what you mean. I have actually been to Denmark before (way back in 1971, and saw the Little Mermaid, but my wife has not). We have both seen the Manneken Pis and agree with you, but hey, you HAVE to see it. We felt the same about the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, but who doesn't want to see her??

Last edited by steve_Australia; May 25th, 2024 at 06:33 AM.
Old May 25th, 2024, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi biboburgler. We prefer train transport for day trips and walking or metro for local city touring. I am actually a keen road bike cyclist in Oz, but my wife is not a proficient enough cyclist, unfortunately. We are happy to stay in hotels if necessary, but would prefer self-contained apartments (VRBO, privately rentable rooms etc - I am not a fan of AirBNB). if possible.
Old May 25th, 2024, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_Australia
Hi biboburgler. We prefer train transport for day trips and walking or metro for local city touring. I am actually a keen road bike cyclist in Oz, but my wife is not a proficient enough cyclist, unfortunately. We are happy to stay in hotels if necessary, but would prefer self-contained apartments (VRBO, privately rentable rooms etc - I am not a fan of AirBNB). if possible.
we stayed here one time

Cabinn City

which is in that block between the train station and the Tivoli. Very central. Probably best to google search around there. You can stay posher up by the old dock area

In terms of cycling, this is not Australia, this is a place where more than half of all journeys are by bike.
Old May 25th, 2024, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bilboburgler, I will definitely check out Cabinn City.