Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to register with Portugal for a 1 week vacation trip from US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to Portugal from the US later this year and was wonder if I need to do anything in regards to submitting documentation to Portugal prior to travel? I already provided the required passport info when booking my flight (with the airline).
(I know when I flew to Canada 2 years ago at the end of COVID I had to register with Canada through their ArriveCAN system as part of their customs clearance program but wasn't sure if I needed to do something similar with Portugal.)
Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:23 AM

Are you a US citizen?
Old May 22nd, 2024, 12:21 PM

It depends on when you are travelling. Nothing for Covid but the EU should finally be implementing EES in October/November this year.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees_en
Old May 22nd, 2024, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
It depends on when you are travelling. Nothing for Covid but the EU should finally be implementing EES in October/November this year.

are you talking about ETIAS? If so, it is suppose to start next year (but we will see.)

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/what-etias_en

When it happens, I’m hopeful airlines will alert people they need to get the authorization.

Old May 22nd, 2024, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SusanP
Are you a US citizen?
Yes.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2

OK. Trip will be in September so probably will be before that goes into effect. I'll check and see. So far most resources I found said nothing is required (other than a passport) but just wanted to make sure.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 01:40 PM

ETIAS vs EES

I didn't know about the EES until it was mentioned here and now. There's been lot of discussion about the ETIAS, though. From a French government site:

"The EES (Entry Exit System) and ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) are automated IT systems for registering and controlling the personal data of nationals of non-EU countries crossing the Schengen Area’s external borders."

Entering the Schengen Area: implementing the future EES and ETIAS systems

The EES (Entry Exit System) and ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) are automated IT systems for registering and controlling the personal data of nationals of non-EU countries crossing the Schengen Area’s external borders.
Neither EES nor ETIAS are currently operational. They are due to be introduced by 2024 and 2025.

The European Union and external border management

These European initiatives are part of a series of measures to improve the external border management of Schengen Area Member States.

These future automated systems aim to make Schengen Area external border checks more effective and reliable by enabling Member States and EU agencies to better share information to combat cross-border crime and terrorism and enable more effective border management, while strictly observing the fundamental rights and European legislation on personal data protection.

The EES (Entry Exit System): a new automated data registration system for nationals of non-EU countries travelling to the Schengen Area

EES is a new, automated personal data collection system for nationals of third-countries entering the EU, whether they require a visa or not, which will be used upon entering and exiting the Schengen Area.

In practical terms, EES will replace the current system of manual stamping of passports of third-country nationals and will enable electronic monitoring of each entry and exit, denial of entry and the length of stay of nationals of non-EU countries when they cross the Schengen Area’s external borders for a short stay (up to 90 days within a total period of 180 days).

Who is it aimed at?

It is aimed at citizens of non-EU countries, who require ETIAS registration and a short-stay visa and who are entering the EU for a short stay (no more than 90 days in a total period of 180 days) in the territory of a Schengen Area Member State.

What personal data will be registered?

• The time and date of entry and exit
  • The place of entry and exit
  • The traveller’s first name(s) and surname
  • The traveller’s passport number
  • The traveller’s photograph
  • The traveller’s fingerprints
  • A potential decision to refuse entry for a short stay
Further information on the EES

ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System): a new prerequisite for travellers exempt from short-stay visas to enter EU territory

ETIAS is a travel authorization, and not a visa, put in place by the European Commission. It will be required by the 30 Member States of the enlarged Schengen Area. It is due to be introduced by 2025. It is a fully automated system, similar to ESTA in the United States, which aims to enhance controls on relevant travellers within the European Union, in order to detect potential threats.

Who is it aimed at?

ETIAS is aimed at citizens from some 60 non-EU countries who were previously exempt from short-stay visas when entering the enlarged Schengen Area.

ETIAS authorises travel for a maximum period of 90 days. It must be requested by relevant third-country nationals before travelling to Europe and will be valid for multiple entries for 3 years, or until the travel document registered at the time of the application expires.

ETIAS applications must be made online by completing a simple form. The travel authorisation is usually issued within 96 hours of the date of the application and payment of a €7 fee. This processing period may be extended if further inquiries are needed.

It should be noted, however, that no fee will be charged to nationals of those third countries aged under 18 and over 70, nor to family members of European citizens or third-country nationals who have the right to move freely within the European Union."

Old May 22nd, 2024, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I'll need to look into this more. It sounds like it's not enforced yet and won't be until either the end of this year or early next year (2025).
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:31 PM

It seems liike EES will be an automated way and not something you need to apply for in advance, but I could be reading it incorrectly. It will be interesting how they will manage it with a land border.. ETIAS will certainly help since you get registered for a few years.

They have been talking about this for so long that it will be a relief when they finally implement it.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
It seems liike EES will be an automated way and not something you need to apply for in advance, but I could be reading it incorrectly. It will be interesting how they will manage it with a land border.. ETIAS will certainly help since you get registered for a few years.

They have been talking about this for so long that it will be a relief when they finally implement it.
OK thanks. Yeah I saw that EES appears to be something you do on-site when you arrive (if they are even enforcing it). I too wil lbe glad when they finally implement these things, although I do hope if they do implement EES later this year (before my trip) there is some sort of grace period since the last thing I want to do is to have to rush to get an authorization of some sort. I may try to contact the US Embassy in Portugal and ask just to be sure. But it also sounds like as far as ETIAS that will be after my trip most likely so I won't have to worry about it this time (sources say early 2025). EES is fine, I just want to make sure there is nothing I have to do beforehand before leaving the US (aside from just having the standard documentation hoto ID and passport).