22 Day Trip London/Paris/Alps/Florence/Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts on this itinerary and best things to do?

Ideally, would like to have time to do:
London: Touristy things and also maybe a day trip somewhere.
Paris: Museums, Eiffel, Cafes, day trip?
Alps: Scenery and hiking
Florence/Tuscany: Museums, food, explore tuscany
Rome: Colosseum, Vatican, touristy stuff, food, day trip?

Day 1 Arrive London
Day 2,3,4 London
Day 5 London to Paris
Day 6,7,8,9 Paris
Day 10 Paris to Alps (Switzerland town or Como?)
Day 11,12 Alps
Day 13 Alps to Florence
Day 14,15,16 Florence/Tuscany
Day 17 Florence to Rome
Day 18,19,20 Rome
Day 21 Rome to Home
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what time of year?
which year?
how many people?

I'm guessing you are short changing London, what with jet lag, a day out for a tour and it is a fair bit bigger than the other places

Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Just my wife and I going in early September of this year (2024)...
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:33 AM

This is busy but doable. I wouldn't try to do a try trip from London as your time there is already pretty limited considering all there is to do there.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
This is busy but doable. I wouldn't try to do a try trip from London as your time there is already pretty limited considering all there is to do there.
We have gone to Paris about 8-10 times for usually 2 to 3 weeks each trip - with day trips planned (dozens of 3-4 nighters in Paris in earlier years). Never found time for the day trips.

Alps is a little light, IMO.

Stu Dudkey
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Have you been to any of these places before? This very hectic but a lot better than some we see posted on here

If you have not been to London previously IMO you are devoting very little time for the city. Certainly not enough time for a day trip anywhere -- even including just a short day trip like to Windsor or Hampton Court Palace. Your arrival is sort of a 'non-day' touring-wise. Arrival formalites, transit into the city, checking in etc. You will have 3 usable days for the largest city (by far) in Western Europe with just loads of things to see and do, plus dealing with jet lagt the first day or two. You'll have time for maybe 5 or 6 of the major sites/sights -- but maybe London doesn't appeal to you all that much??

And you won't have much time for day trips out of Paris either.

Not at all awful but pretty hurried . . .
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:48 AM

Was posting he same time as stu -- don't worry about not seeing everything - you couldn't do that in a lifetime
Old May 22nd, 2024, 10:20 AM

It is very hectic. Your time in Florence/Tuscany especially so. Florence is very heavy on Renaissance art so if that is a big focus, by all means absolutely go. However, with only 3 full days there, you really do not have enough time to also see more of Tuscany, but depends on your interests.

Your trip mentions museums a lot. I love art and museums - but over a 3 week period, it gets to be very mundane and artwork starts to blend together. I also get very tired of crowds. If museums, and art specifically, is a huge interest and focus, absolutely keep them. Otherwise, maybe plan for some time actually "being" in the locations rather than rushing from site to museum to landmark. Perhaps make a list of your highest priorities.

Keep in mind that the time you are going will still be high season in these places and you will still have crowds. You may need to reserve timed entry for many/most sites.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 12:54 PM
mjs

How many nights is this?
Old May 22nd, 2024, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

It is 20 nights.

Definitely not trying to do everything on this trip. It will be my first time to London, but I have been to the rest of these although my wife has not been to Europe yet.

In terms of the museums, we probably won't spend a lot of time or try to see all of these, but I think we would try to do the Louvre and the Uffizi.

In terms of London, what would be the top 2 or 3 things to do (recommendations) and top side trip (if we did one)?

Same question really for Paris...
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dallasag15
. . . In terms of London, what would be the top 2 or 3 things to do (recommendations) and top side trip (if we did one)?

Same question really for Paris...
OH goodness -- there are soooooo many 'musts' in London. I'll list just a short list -- you definitely won't have time for a day trip anywhere. Though you might be able to squeeze in a half day trip to Hampton Court or to Greenwich

Short list (not in any particular order except the tower is definitely #1) so pick and choose a handful.:
• Tower of London
• Westminster Abbey
• St Paul's
• the V&A
• British Museum
• One or both Tate's
• National Portrait Gallery
• National Gallery
• British Library Treasures Gallery
• Hampton Court Palace
• Borough Market
• Portobello Rd (on Saturdays)
• Churchill Cabinet War Rooms/Museum
• Theatre
• Greenwich
• Warner Bros. studio tour (IF you are Harry Potter fans)
• Windsor Castle (You really wouldn't have time)

plus a ton of other great galleries and museums, great dining, lots of shopping, pubs, afternoon tea etc etc etc

Some like The Tower or V&A can take half a day by themselves, most of the other biggies take maybe 2-ish hours. Most of the museums/galleries have free admission except for special exhibitions. The others like the Tower, Westminster Abbey are fairly expensive and for some pre-booking is advised.

Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:27 PM
mjs

So if my calculations are correct you have 3 full days in London, 4 in Paris, 2 for the Alps, 3 for Florence and 3 for Rome? That's not much time for everywhere except Paris.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:01 PM

May be you tell us what you mean with "ALPS".
A train ride from Paris to the Swiss border lasts 3 hrs and a train ride from the Swiss border (Como) to Florence lasts another 3 hrs.
In between, you can go wherever you want.
Old May 24th, 2024, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Janis - thanks for all of the great recommendations for London!

Would love something similar for Paris if anyone has ideas for Paris...

Necker - I just said 'ALPS' because we are open to going anywhere in Switzerland or northern Italy while we move from Paris to Florence. Current favorites are probably something like Interlaken in Switzerland or Lake Como in Italy, but open to ideas there, too.

Thanks all!
Old May 24th, 2024, 07:44 AM

May be you will have a look at https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/...SAAEgI5APD_BwE
Old May 24th, 2024, 08:05 AM

""Would love something similar for Paris if anyone has ideas for Paris...""

There is already more stuff written about Paris than any other popular destination in the world. Probable followed by London. How about YOU doing some research so you can get full descriptions of the sites and match them to your interests. Splurge for a $17 Rick Steves guide to Paris. Get a Michelin Green Guide. If you are budget conscious - get these from your public library if you are near one.

Stu Dudley
Old May 24th, 2024, 11:04 AM

Top places for Paris, IMO:

Eiffel Tower (but don't go up unless you have extra time)
*Louvre
*Orsay
*Orangerie
*Pompidou Center
Notre Dame will be outside only
St. Chappelle (near ND)
Conciergerie
Sacre Coeur/Montmartre
Arc d'Triomphe
Palais Garnier
*Hotel des Invalides - Army Museum - Napoleon's Tomb
*Rodin Museum is next door
Pere La Chaise Cemetery

Versailles is a short train ride away.

* Art Galleries or Museums

Thats just a few places to visit. It doesn't include too much in the Marais distrct, which many love to walk.
Just Google Paris, then select the map. You can zoom in and around and it shows many of the famous sites. Or go to https://www.parismuseumpass.fr/ and see what sites are available on their 4 day pass. DO NOT use the Paris Pass, use the Paris Museum Pass. They're very different.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Old May 24th, 2024, 11:08 AM

not everyone is as friendly- yes, do some reading up, but asking here . . . That’s what the forums are for after all
Old May 24th, 2024, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
not everyone is as friendly- yes, do some reading up, but asking here . . . That’s what the forums are for after all
I assume this was directed at me.

Asking "what to do in London/Paris" without specifying what one's interests are, might be asking too much of someone else's time & effort, IMO. Why put a long list together for Paris (for example) - and then discover the OP's main interest is Disneyland!! Best to focus on what type of thing the specific visitor wants to do & see!!!

You put a great list together, but you omitted some favorites of ours. We like architecture, gardens, history museums, & wandering around.
- Imperial War Museum. We spent 2 days there.
- Harrods
- Selfridges
- Museum of London. We spent 2 days there also.
- Kew Gardens. Many visits - once when it was empty (for repairs)
- Knightsbridge - building architecture
- Notting Hill architecture
- Chelsea architecture
- Royal Exchange

Stu Dudley
Old May 25th, 2024, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's doable. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -