time allotment for FCO airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2024, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow travelers. Can you please advise how early we should plan to arrive at Rome's FCO airport for an international flight (Rome to USA) for a flight departing at 1030am? Is 2 hrs enough time? Also, any recommendations on shuttles to get from our hotel to the airport? Lastly, how long will it take to get to the airport from my hotel (near Piazza Navona)? Not sure I trust what google maps says. Thank you!

Last edited by Patti_lovestravel; May 19th, 2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old May 19th, 2024, 12:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your airline will tell you how much time you should allow. Most will advise at least 3 hours.

Where is your hotel?
Old May 19th, 2024, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have your hotel book a taxi for you (it's a fixed fare to FCO), they will tell you what time to leave in order to get there by 7:30.
Old May 19th, 2024, 02:57 PM

I have used airportshuttle.it many times. They are a little cheaper if it's one person, closer to the same price as a taxi for two. I always stay near Piazza Navona, and they pick me up 3-1/2 hours before the flight, 1/2 for the drive and getting there 3 hours before the flight. I think it's pretty standard, they want you there 3 hours before an international flight.
Old May 20th, 2024, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll plan to be at the airport 3hrs ahead + 1/2hr drive time. I'll ask my hotel if they can book the shuttle otherwise try airportshuttle.it.
Have a great day everyone. Ciao!
Old May 20th, 2024, 08:28 AM
J62

In my experience

a) airlines will tell you 3 hrs ahead
b) check in counters will NOT be open more than 3 hrs before their first flight of the day, so if your flight is the first then there will already be a line ahead of you and it will take some time to get to the head of the line.
c) in that case showing up 30min later after the initial bubble has cleared, you’ll still get to the agent at the same time
d) yes 2hrs is more than enough time, but why chance it? What matters more to you - spending an extra hour at the airport or missing your flight by one minute due to some unexpected event like traffic, or breakdown, or any number of other what ifs.

with 3 hrs you have plenty of buffer and wont need to panic if something does cause a delay.
Old May 20th, 2024, 08:04 PM

My experience in April

I was in Rome in April. My flight was within the EU at 10:40 am. FCO was utter chaos already at 8:15 when I arrived. The lines were long everywhere and it was so crowded. Fortunately for me, I had fast track to check-in and security. So, definitely be there 3 hrs ahead.

Flat rate taxis are €50 to FCO from within the Aurelian Walls. If you're at a hotel, they can usually call you one to be there in 5 minutes. The ride is roughly half an hour.
Old May 21st, 2024, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates. I think to be safe I'll arrive 3 hrs ahead. My hotel was able to book a shuttle for me for 55 euro so that seems pretty reasonable so we're booking that.
Have a great day!