Going on a bday trip with my wife to Paris/Amalfi/Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2024, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello – we are looking to celebrate my wife's 30th birthday in Paris, Italy (Amalfi coast) and Barcelona in late June 2024.

Paris 3 nights, Amalfi coast 4 nights, Barcelona 3 nights.

Have only booked the flights and everything really is a blank slate. Would love to fill in the blanks with recommendations for accommodation, good/non touristy food spots, and must dos!

Budget is flexible but would like to mix up luxury vs none luxury. (e.g. fancy reservations to restaurants/activities, a nights stay at a 5 star hotel).

We don't really like history/museum (unless they are interesting of course), and honestly don't really care for the hottest attractions (unless they are iconic like the eiffel tower) but we do enjoy the daytime strolls, sightseeing, enjoying great food

Really looking for any input here so please shoot us with anything 🙏
Old May 9th, 2024, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't have your Amalfi Coast lodging booked yet? You need to jump on that yesterday!

I assume you're flying Paris to Naples and Naples to Barcelona. You'll want to hire a driver to meet your flight in Naples, take you to your AC hotel and then take you back to the airport for the flight to Barcelona.

Just me, but I can't imagine traveling all the way to the Amalfi Coast area and not seeing Pompeii and spending time on Capri. There are many other sights and things to do, but those two would be non-negotiable for me.
Old May 9th, 2024, 06:08 PM

my top recommendation for a non-touristy meal in Paris is Les Enfants du Marché. Located in a historic open air food market. An only-in-Paris experience. Small, always changing menu, counter seating only, no reservations. Marché des Enfants Rouges is one of my favorite spots in Paris and is worth visiting just to see the market. Excellent fromagerie nearby if you go during the day.

https://michael2110grosman.wixsite.com/website
Old May 9th, 2024, 06:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Have you been to any of these places before??

Paris 3 nights = 2 full days and much of that with jet lag
AC 4 nights = 3 days
Barcelona 3 nights = 2 days and one of those will be partly packing for the flight home.

That is a VERY short time for Paris IMO/IME and short for Barcelona. Plus it is quite late to find accommodations on the AC. a 'flexible' budget could mean anything about how much do you want to spend per night.
Old May 9th, 2024, 06:32 PM

I'd take out the Amalfi coast or at least don't go farther then Sorrento.
Old May 9th, 2024, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Welcome to Fodors.

Have you been to any of these places before??

Paris 3 nights = 2 full days and much of that with jet lag
AC 4 nights = 3 days
Barcelona 3 nights = 2 days and one of those will be partly packing for the flight home.

That is a VERY short time for Paris IMO/IME and short for Barcelona. Plus it is quite late to find accommodations on the AC. a 'flexible' budget could mean anything about how much do you want to spend per night.
Ah by 3 nights i meant 4 days 3 nights (3 night stay). so total of 13 "days". For AC, I saw that there were a lot of similar towns that we were considering picking 2 from (maybe 1 more as a day excursion). Any thoughts on the spot? prefer to stay in the best space in one of the AC days since that will be her bday. Considering to at least have an amazing dinner and maybe a yacht/boat ride
Old May 9th, 2024, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jmoo
Ah by 3 nights i meant 4 days 3 nights (3 night stay). so total of 13 "days".
Nope - sorry. It doesn't work that way.

Three nights in Paris will give you 2 full days plus a few jet lagged hours on your arrival day. To get 4 full days in Paris you need to stay FIVE nights.
Old May 9th, 2024, 06:54 PM

Poor planning, sorry.'
First off, you have too many destinations in too short a time. You have what, ONE WEEK???
Seriously!!

For me if I was taking a trip like that I would choose ONE,, not two and not three, destinations.

And for Amalfi Coast you are late for booking....you will have to see what is available...and how much you are willing to pay..
Want a totally decadent romantic stay on that coast? Sounds great, but at what price?

Why go to three countries, with all those flights, NEXT MONTH, without even having hotels booked in high season (for Amalfi and probably for Barcelona). In one week, half your time will be spent flying and getting from airport to hotel and back..repacking,,,ugh..

You ought to rethink and I am not trying to be mean, but it sounds like too much, too late...

Have you been to Europe before?

What kind of hotel budget, per night for 2 persons, do you have??

Old May 9th, 2024, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Poor planning, sorry.'
First off, you have too many destinations in too short a time. You have what, ONE WEEK???
Seriously!!

For me if I was taking a trip like that I would choose ONE,, not two and not three, destinations.

And for Amalfi Coast you are late for booking....you will have to see what is available...and how much you are willing to pay..
Want a totally decadent romantic stay on that coast? Sounds great, but at what price?

Why go to three countries, with all those flights, NEXT MONTH, without even having hotels booked in high season (for Amalfi and probably for Barcelona). In one week, half your time will be spent flying and getting from airport to hotel and back..repacking,,,ugh..

You ought to rethink and I am not trying to be mean, but it sounds like too much, too late...

Have you been to Europe before?

What kind of hotel budget, per night for 2 persons, do you have??
Yea definitely last minute i agree with everyone here :/ Both of us have been swamped this year and it's almost like a celebratory trip for a good business deal we made and her bday.

Budget is $2~300 average a night if we can stay within that. Can push further if need be and have lots of CC points saved up that we will probably using for most of the hotel stays.

I have personally been to a lot of Eastern European countries + Portugal/Iceland/Ireland/Spain.

We are ok with removing one of these destinations – might cut out Barcelona since I have been there before. We really added Paris/Barcelona since direct flight to Naples was unreasonable. We initially planned to stay only in Amalfi, but we thought it might get "old". Correct me if I am wrong of course
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:18 PM

I don't know about the AC getting "old" but there are plenty of places to go/see on/around the coast. East to Salerno you have options for Paestum. More west are islands of Capri and Ischia. You could conceivably base in 2 points in the area, including Sorrento where you could also include Pompeii and Herculaneum.

If your year has been as you describe, why dont you instead slow it down a little. Pick one city/area and really explore it. Paris has a lot of day trip options in addition to the city itself. Plus the AC as I mentioned.

A birthday should be celebrated, not rushed.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; May 9th, 2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:20 PM

Since you seem a bit confused (overwhelmed more like it probably) how to count days vs. nights . . . What are your actual dates - arrival in Paris and departure from Barcelona? If those are where you are flying in to and out of. I had assumed you are flying out of Barcelona but you now say 'might cut out Barcelona' which wouldn't make sense if you are flying home from there.

$200 = about €180, $300 = approx. €275. In high season, that is a fairly modest budget to be honest
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Since you seem a bit confused (overwhelmed more like it probably) how to count days vs. nights . . . What are your actual dates - arrival in Paris and departure from Barcelona? If those are where you are flying in to and out of. I had assumed you are flying out of Barcelona but you now say 'might cut out Barcelona' which wouldn't make sense if you are flying home from there.

$200 = about €180, $300 = approx. €275. In high season, that is a fairly modest budget to be honest
June 19th Home => Paris arrive at noon
June 22nd Paris => Naples 5 PM => 7 PM
June 26th Naples => Barcelona 10AM - 12:30PM
No flights booked for Barcelona => Home yet.
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:45 PM

Where are you flying from?? If this is transatlantic and leaving home on 19 June you would arrive in Paris 20 June.

Looking at the rest of your fixed dates:

• You can't do much in Paris on June 22nd. (are you flying to Naples from CDG or ORY?). If you arrive at CDG at noon you may get to your hotel by 2:30 or 3PM on June 20 (IF immigration and baggage are working semi-efficiently). Then you have the 21st and a couple of hours on the 22nd. Maybe one site in the morning but you'll have to leave central Paris for CDG by 1 PM or there abouts. (IF you actually do arrive on June 19 then add one day to the total but it is still only 2.5 days)

• You have 3 days for the AC. You arrive in the evening June 22nd and probably won't get to your hotel until 9-ish PM. Then on the 26th you have to get a VERY early start. So three days total usable time.
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Where are you flying from?? If this is transatlantic and leaving home on 19 June you would arrive in Paris 20 June.

Looking at the rest of your fixed dates:

• You can't do much in Paris on June 22nd. (are you flying to Naples from CDG or ORY?). If you arrive at CDG at noon you may get to your hotel by 2:30 or 3PM on June 20 (IF immigration and baggage are working semi-efficiently). Then you have the 21st and a couple of hours on the 22nd. Maybe one site in the morning but you'll have to leave central Paris for CDG by 1 PM or there abouts. (IF you actually do arrive on June 19 then add one day to the total but it is still only 2.5 days)

• You have 3 days for the AC. You arrive in the evening June 22nd and probably won't get to your hotel until 9-ish PM. Then on the 26th you have to get a VERY early start. So three days total usable time.
Coming from US and I arrive on 19th 1:30 PM in Paris. But I see your point in AC – whats your recommended day of stay in AC (since that was the main goal of our trip)?
Old May 9th, 2024, 07:54 PM

To be honest -- you may have difficulty finding accommodations on the AC this late at your budget

Italian school holidays start in Mid-June so things will have started booking up ages ago.

Old May 9th, 2024, 08:22 PM

If the AC is your priority, I would look to see what properties and dates are available within your travel dates. That may affect how many other days you will spend in other locations. I would book a refundable property ASAP that would be acceptable and you may need to consider increasing your budget considerably. You can always continue researching other places. Once you have your AC dates solidified, you can consider other locations.

Last edited by KTtravel; May 9th, 2024 at 08:27 PM.
Old May 9th, 2024, 08:42 PM

Should you decide to spend most of your time on the AC, you may want to look a little off the beaten path to towns like Minori, Maori. Might not have the 5 star accomodations you're seeking, but does have ferry connections as well as things to do (Path of Lemons).

Full disclosure; my first trip to the AC is planned (mostly) for Minori in October, in part due to the accomodations being in my budget while still ne close enough to other points such as Amalfi, Atrani.

Towns like Amalfi or Positano not only will ne busy, might be fully booked up and their lodging prices in June may be out of your budget.
Old May 10th, 2024, 05:56 AM

Italians are not going to be jamming the Amalfi Coast in June; it's the foreigners who will be there that month. Italians get off work in August and that ice when the families will descend on the coasts but also the cooler areas.

I would urge you to pick ONE destination only... Look at the ideas for the smaller Amalfi Coast towns or Sorrento. Look also at Cetara.
Try to book NOW.

Fly from US into Naples with a connection.

Another reason to skip Paris: Aren't the Olympics beginning pretty soon? Prices will be higher than the already normal sky high.

If you want a city, what about Naples with Amalfi Coast, or Rome with Amalfi Coast?

Last edited by Moderator1; May 10th, 2024 at 08:09 AM. Reason: removed reference to a deleted post
Old May 10th, 2024, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd wind in your expectations a tad. This looks like a millionaire's holiday on a dustman's wage.

Certainly up your accomodation sums significantly
I'd cull at least one site for visiting, actually I'd cull two.

Paris is getting ready for the Olympics
Amalfi is way to late
Barcelona might be possible

But why not enjoy yourselves and go somewhere nice, since you only like people watching, good good, I'd fly into Barcelona, then take the train to Girona and spend some days in that area before onward journey to Narbonne and then fly home from Toulouse or some of the south eastern French airports
Old May 10th, 2024, 08:02 AM

Moderator's note: content removed due to quote of and response to a deleted post

Last edited by Moderator1; May 10th, 2024 at 08:20 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -