LANZAROTE, CANARY ISLANDS..upcoming visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2024, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot of talk about this island mixed up with discussions about Galicia so I am now beginning a separate thread to discuss our upcoming twelve days on this Canary Island, which first piqued my interest when I watched the Jose Andres tv series last year.

I hope to write a trip report that I can attach here, but for now, this is our plan:

We fly to Galicia (have been briefly before) from JFK, arriving next week in Santiago de Compolstela... three nights.

After our stay, we will collect a rental car at the train station and drive to La Toja, for two nights, and then on to Pontevedra for three nights.

After that, we will return to Santiago and leave our car at the airport before catching a Vueling flight direct to Lanzarote for under $100 per person. (With no checked luggage, tickets were under $50 pp)
(The Vueling direct flight was a motivator in the decision to combine these two very different regions)

We have booked 12 days on the island, in the tourist town of PUERTO DEL CARMEN, at a hotel called LANI'S SUITES. It is on the water and has a heated pool and my only sources of information were the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I rarely go so blind into a stay of so many days, but the recent communication between myself and the hotel stands out to me for both the rapid response and attention to detail.

We will be collected, complimentary transfer, at the airport and the next day, return to the airport to pick up our car at local vendor, CICAR.
(The hotel has offered to arrange the car to be delivered for us at no charge). Rentals seem to very economical on Lanzarote.

Besides that, I have a list of restaurants we want to try; to compile this I had the help of Maribel and I also looked at the recommendations in the Repsol Guides. Most of the eating information about this island that I could find online is heavily geared to budget conscious tourists but I think I now have a pretty good list, far too long for our amount of dinners:

*CESAR LANZAROTE (close to hotel, center of island)

***EL RISCO (lunch, Friday). NE area Repsol..booked

***SEBE 1 SOL..booked

*LILIUM near airport

*PALACIO ICO. (NE island).

TACANDE (Haria) pig; rice.

KAMEZI Repsol.

*TABERNA A DE LINO (steak)

HORNO DE LA ABUELA pig; Cordero; casual

AMURA

BODEGA DE SANTIAGO Yaiza, Timnafaya

LA CHALANA (PDC near hotel; if we do not want to drive)

MAJO PICON Tinajo, casual

LA TIENDA DE LOURDES small local food shop featured on Josie Andres; near Sao...would like to take a look and talk to owner about food

There are a lot of wineries on Lanzarote but we will probably pass on those.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; May 9th, 2024 at 10:23 AM.
Old May 9th, 2024, 10:26 AM

ekscrunchy,
As I wrote to you on another thread, these are the places that I will be booking or considering, after much, much consultation with my very numerous sources.

Bodega de Santiago,
Kamezi
Tacande
Palacio Ico (where we'll be staying)
SeBE, where you already have reservations
El Risco
César Lanzarote, one of the finest on the island, says my very trusted gastro critic who was there recently
Lilium

My list is void of Italian, sushi, burgers and non Spanish cuisine and isn't geared to budget dining.

There is a huge dearth of helpful info on Lanzarote on the Africa/Middle East forum, unfortunately.

Last edited by Maribel; May 9th, 2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old May 9th, 2024, 10:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll maybe get more activity/eyes on your thread here . . . but on Fodors, the Canary Islands reside on the Africa/Middle East Forum.
Old May 9th, 2024, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I realize that, Las Canarias are part of Spain, never mind how Fodor's classifies them.

I chose to post this on the Europe thread, where my other posts on Lanzarote reside and the forum where the Canary Islands should be on Fodor's. I think there are a number of other countries that are posted to an incorrect location. We all know how much of Turkey lies in Europe, for example!

Good work, Janis...always have your eye on things here!!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; May 9th, 2024 at 01:24 PM.