Search

Slovenia for partners 50th birthday

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2024, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slovenia for partners 50th birthday

Hi.

I’m looking at booking a suprise trip to Slovenia for my partners 50th birthday. She likes to be quite active on holiday, but we also want to be able to chill for a lot of it.

Initial plans are to fly into Ljublana and stay there for 2 or 3 nights. (Her birthday would be the 3rd night so it may be better to be somewhere else?!).

Then up to Bled for 2 or 3 nights. Looking for activities to do here. A hike around the lake is a definite and I’ve also looked at a zip wire over it. If we’re here for her 50th - what’s the best restaurant that covers for a vegan? In fact - what’s vegan options like in Slovenia?

Afther that looking at lake Bohinj/Triglav for a few nights.

Not sure whether to hire a car or rely on public transport for that route?

I want to make this really special for her so please tell me if there’s other places we should do rather than the above.
we’re both foodies (her vegan) so restaurant tips would be very welcome!

edit: I’ve just looked further into it and am considering finishing up with a 3 hr bus ride to Venice for a night and then fly directly home from there?

Last edited by nathanbrown7371; May 6th, 2024 at 03:18 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 03:45 PM

Where are you coming from? UK? I may have missed it - when is this trip? Some places, especially Bled will be very crowded in Summer. Just something to keep in mind.

Your base itinerary is fine, with general allotment of days.

But your edit, i have questions: have either of you been to Venice before? If not, maybe give it 2 nights. IMHO, Venice is one of my favorite cities and travelers short change it. YMMV

Also on the topic of Venice: flights tend to leave extremely early, which means you might have to navigate getting to the airport very early and is a hassle. But if to your home airport leaves after 10am, then it might be ok.

Where would the 3 hour bus ride to Venice be originating from in Slovenia?

As far as restaurants go as I am not vegan I have no recommendations. But I would Google vegan restaurants in Ljublijana and check against online reviews, maybe even see if there are websites with menus online as well.

Public transport is easy enough in Slovenia but in some places only goes so far. If you have the option for a car hire, I'd consider it for the countryside. It's not necessary for Ljublijana.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; May 6th, 2024 at 03:48 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Apologies, yes. Flying from the Uk mid July.

the thought would be to hire a car to leave Ljubljana and return there to get a bus to Venice. Maybe I’m trying to squeeze too much in and I’ve heard Venice is very expensive? The morning flight out is 9:45am, although having just looked it may be better for us to fly into Venice first as it would be a Monday and cheaper to stay then a Friday Saturday night at the end of a week?
Old May 6th, 2024, 10:29 PM

Venice like any major destination is expensive, especially in July. Expect it to be very crowded, and probably very hot and humid.

To me, the city deserves more than one night. With your plans in Slovenia, assuming you keep them, you do not have time for Venice. Venice, as I mentioned is a favorite of mine and if you really want to go, do it properly and spend 3- 4 nights there, not give it a fly by like so many people do.

You know your partner best and while this is a surprise for her birthday, you need to ask yourself what she would prefer. If it's to be outdoors hiking and zip lining with a small city (Ljubljana) vs. in a beautiful yet probably very crowded city with lots of city attractions.

if you decide on Venice, I'd look to make your hotel arrangements now (same with Slovenia - Bled especially with be busy in July) but Venice would require more urgency.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; May 6th, 2024 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:20 PM

Currently in Ljubljana on holiday from the states (leaving today for Zagreb) after 4 nights here. It certainly is a very beautiful city with plenty to do. Numerous hiking opportunities from the city as well as in Tivoli Park and a decent hike up to the castle. We had a car and took some easy drives to see some very quaint towns with even more hiking opportunities (Kranj, Scofja Loka). The mountains of Austria with additional treks are less than an hour away (Begunjscica). Additionally, although not Venice, Trieste, Italy is a little over an hour away as is the beautiful Slovenian town of Piran. Although not a vegan, we passed numerous restaurants with vegan friendly menus. One of the food staples here are “Bureks” which we ate every day and are available as vegan.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:23 PM

I’m not sure about vegan restaurants in Bled, but in Ljubljana, Gujžina Is a primarily vegan restaurant.

Güj?ina-Slovenska kulinarika na vegetarijansko veganski na?in

if you are foodies try to be in Ljubljana on a Friday for Open Kitchen.

https://www.odprtakuhna.si/en/about-us/

Parking is expensive in Bled and the road is a parking lot in July. Might be better to go there without the car for a couple of relax days and pick up a car after. The airport is not far from Bled - you can go back to get a car if need be. Then drive around for a few days, drop off the car, and end in Ljubljana.

There are British Airways flights all day from Venice to London. But I agree to focus on Slovenia and leave Venice for another trip if you don’t have much time. July 20 and 21st is a big weekend (Redentore) and while it would be fun to be there for the fireworks, the city will be insanely crowded, if that’s the weekend you are considering.

Old May 7th, 2024, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input, lots of things to consider and I’m probably edging away from Venice following the above.
one thing is the flights to Venice are about €100 and go from Bristol (where I live) but to fly to Ljubljana are about €300 and I have to get to London so probably €550-600 more to fly there.
Any tips?
Old May 7th, 2024, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by nathanbrown7371
Thanks everyone for your input, lots of things to consider and I’m probably edging away from Venice following the above.
one thing is the flights to Venice are about €100 and go from Bristol (where I live) but to fly to Ljubljana are about €300 and I have to get to London so probably €550-600 more to fly there.
Any tips?
Maybe fly to Zagreb and take the train?
Old May 7th, 2024, 11:49 AM

Can you fly to Zagreb, Trieste or Klagenfurt? Alternatively if you fly into Venice I’ve heard positive reviews of GoOpti transfers but have not used them myself. Or ferry Venice to Piran?
Old May 8th, 2024, 07:24 AM

Piran is served by ferry from both Trieste and Venice. The Trieste ferry costs less. Piran is a small but beautiful medieval city. We loved our stay there but that was a long time ago.

Old May 13th, 2024, 09:34 AM

I agree that Venice deserves more than one night, especially if you haven't been there before. Considering this, you may want to focus only on Slovenia, otherwise, your schedule may get too tight. For me, it's kinda difficult to relax and enjoy a trip if I have to move between different locations too often. Besides, Slovenia offers a lot on its own. Bled definitely deserves your attention, maybe also Vintgar, which is not far away from there. Triglav is beautiful as well. Not sure about public transportation there, but you can hire a car if you are okay about driving in the mountains. I would recommend to check the road on Google maps street view just to understand the route if you are going to drive. Piran is also worth visiting. It's small but beautiful, and there is a fine restaurant focusing exactly on vegan food - PiranArt Vege Brunch. As for such restaurants in Ljubljana, don't have options to recommend since I'm not vegan. But I see vegan options on menus rather often, so you should have no problems.
Old May 13th, 2024, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Update

Thanks all.

new plan, which is now booked is:
fly to Venice airport early in a Monday and get a bus straight to Ljubljana and then from there a bus straight to Bled. Arriving at the eco garden in bled mid afternoon and staying there until Friday.
looking to do the zip wire, white water rafting and potentially a sky dive in that time.
Back to Ljubljana Fri Eve and stay there Fri/Sat/Sun.
Bus back to Venice early Monday morning and stay in Venice Mon/Tues Eve flying out of Venice early Wednesday evening.

Any recommendations on best located restaurant in Bled overlooking the lake for her actual birthday?

ideas of what to do in Ljubljana on a weekend?
Old May 14th, 2024, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by nathanbrown7371
Thanks all.

new plan, which is now booked is:
fly to Venice airport early in a Monday and get a bus straight to Ljubljana and then from there a bus straight to Bled. Arriving at the eco garden in bled mid afternoon and staying there until Friday.
looking to do the zip wire, white water rafting and potentially a sky dive in that time.
Back to Ljubljana Fri Eve and stay there Fri/Sat/Sun.
Bus back to Venice early Monday morning and stay in Venice Mon/Tues Eve flying out of Venice early Wednesday evening.

Any recommendations on best located restaurant in Bled overlooking the lake for her actual birthday?

ideas of what to do in Ljubljana on a weekend?
In Ljubljana, I would definitely recommend to explore the city center and enjoy the atmosphere of the old town. Make sure to find a bridge with the dragons (it's beautiful) and try local food. There are a lot of cafes and restaurants along the river, so you can have a fine dinner with a really nice view. I would also recommend to go up to the castle. No need to drive somewhere, it's located right in the center. Besides, you may want to visit Tivoli park or get on a boat cruise on the river.
Old May 15th, 2024, 06:18 AM

I recommended Friday nights Open Kitchen to you already, it’s really fun. Saturday the green market is great with many food stalls.
Old May 15th, 2024, 06:23 AM

I don’t know bled restaurants but you could check happy cow website or app.
Old May 15th, 2024, 10:25 PM

Cannot recommend a restaurant in Bled, but Ljubljana also has loads of specialty coffee shops, and most of them offer some vegan-friendly options (at least in terms of milk). Worth visiting for a nice breakfast or grabbing some coffee before exploring the city center.