Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you ever stayed in an ancient building in summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2024, 11:02 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another thread in the Europe forum about accommodations in Rome from June 29 through July 2. Rome hotels or apartment

Here's the dilemma: I found a place on Airbnb that is in a 2000 year old building. My sister and I are fascinated by the look of this apartment. It's like being in a museum. The problem is that it doesn't have air conditioning. The reviews on Airbnb are all glowing but I don't know how trustworthy those are. One person mentioned it's cool in the summer but most reviews don't mention that. If it were any other season we would jump at this, but it's hard to get my head around not having ac. The only reason we're even considering it is that I've heard that when the walls are thick enough, heat doesn't get in. This place doesn't get much natural light, which is good because it will be cooler that way.

Does anyone have direct experience? I'm usually up for an adventure but I do hate hot rooms.

Last edited by Moderator1; May 6th, 2024 at 09:45 PM. Reason: removed references to the Lounge and added link to original thread
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:16 AM

We just got back from ten data in Venice. The old buildings there were noticeably cooler due to the thick walls.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:33 AM

Old buildings with thick walls are indeed cooler.

but Rome is HOT in July.
have you talked with the owner about this?
do they have fans?
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
What Europeans consider cool is different than what Texans do. Plus, they don’t air condition the amount that we do in the US.

Old buildings can be cool, but Rome in July is hotter than Hades.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:42 AM

I've stayed in old places, not as old as that but over 800 years old summer and winter, icebox no matter what the weather.

Don't forget the Romans knew a thing or two about constructing homes and how to keep them comfortable, some of their ideas took centuries to be re-adopted.
Better for the environment not to have AC. It uses valuable electricity and adds to the heat island in a city.
Lack of windows means less solar gain which means cooler.

How many nights will you be there? if it isn't a long stay I think I'd go for it just for the experience.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:46 AM
P_M
Original Poster

They do have portable fans. I don't think we can be put in touch with the owner before booking.

As some of you know, I am from Texas but that doesn't mean I'm OK with heat. I hate it. I'm thinking this building might be naturally cool, like a cave.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:47 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Hi heti, we were posting at the same time. We'll be there 3 nights.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:51 AM
P_M
Original Poster

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5315783...2-411f6dce58cf
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I once took my kids to Rome during spring break. I remember trudging around in the heat and then staying at a very nice hotel by the Spanish Steps where the AC was what I’d call “luke cool.”

Hopefully you’ll be fine!

I hate the heat PM.

I’m headed to Cartagena in June and it was 101 there yesterday. 😩 Best friend’s daughter’s wedding… must go.
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:10 PM

Look at the reviews for July and August. Several mention that it was cool. We stayed in an old apartment in Rome in July. It had a feeble airconditioner in the bedroom which we gave up on. We just opened the windows at night and got a wonderful breeze. Hard to tell the window situation in the proposed rental.
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
P_M, I think I may love Rome as much as if not more than most people here. I've been in every season except winter, and I would never ever go again in July or August. Even September can be unpleasantly hot. In light of the fact that you say you don't like heat, if there is any way that you can change your dates, you might want to consider doing so. That apartment looks very trippy, and I can see its appeal, but it does not look like it would be cool inside...I don't care how thick the walls are. And even if they've got a fan in every room -- fans are inadequate in real heat.

I'm also curious why you can't get in touch with the owner before booking. I'm no pro at airbnb, but the few I've considered allowed pre-booking contact.

eta: I just read the reviews and saw this one:
June 2023
One really nice feature of this apartment is how cool it stays even on very hot days.

So if I were you, I'd ignore my previous comments!

Last edited by LucieV; May 6th, 2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:44 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LucieV
P_M, I think I may love Rome as much as if not more than most people here. I've been in every season except winter, and I would never ever go again in July or August. Even September can be unpleasantly hot. In light of the fact that you say you don't like heat, if there is any way that you can change your dates, you might want to consider doing so. That apartment looks very trippy, and I can see its appeal, but it does not look like it would be cool inside...I don't care how thick the walls are. And even if they've got a fan in every room -- fans are inadequate in real heat.

I'm also curious why you can't get in touch with the owner before booking. I'm no pro at airbnb, but the few I've considered allowed pre-booking contact.

eta: I just read the reviews and saw this one:
June 2023
One really nice feature of this apartment is how cool it stays even on very hot days.

So if I were you, I'd ignore my previous comments!
Hi Lucie,

The reason we will be there in the summer is that we will be on a cruise that ends in Rome on June 29th. If it were just me, I wouldn't stay so long in the hot season as I prefer Rome in cooler days. But I'll be traveling with my sister who has never been to Europe. She's so excited about this trip, she might not notice the heat.

I did see the review mentioning it's cool inside, even in summer. But there aren't a lot of comments like that so I wonder how reliable the reviews are.
Old May 6th, 2024, 12:58 PM
P_M
Original Poster

After a closer look, I did find a way to contact the host. Thanks for the idea.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
You're going to have the time of your life, P_M, no matter where you stay. Of that I am 100% certain.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:16 PM
P_M
Original Poster

I'm sure we will, Lucie. I've been to Rome many times but this will be a whole new world for her.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:23 PM

Maybe I don't understand... P_M, I clicked on the link and saw "those dates are not available".
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:55 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dayenu
Maybe I don't understand... P_M, I clicked on the link and saw "those dates are not available".
Hmmm, it didn't say that this afternoon. Maybe it's been booked in the last few hours.
Old May 6th, 2024, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
No way I would stay in July without AC (or June). I usually spend about 5 days in Rome every time I go to Italy. Additionally, I wouldn't stay as far out of the way as that B&B (if the B&B map is somewhat accurate it's past San Clemente), but I guess it depends on what you plan to see. As pointed out, AC in Europe (especially Italy) is not comparable to US AC unless you are staying somewhere more upscale. I didn't see windows in those pics so I don't know if you would get much airflow to cool off, but then again, opening windows in Rome can be very noisy or perhaps unsafe.

I've also found the park by Domus Aurea to be somewhat sketch, but then I'm usually traveling alone and perhaps that was just my perception of the area. It's been a few years since I was in that park (above Domus Aurea and just past San Pietro in Vincoli).

On the plus side, there is a tram that runs nearby (3) that could get you a few places (Colosseum, Circus Maximus, even Trastevere where you could change to the 8 tram). Also the 117 bus that could get you to the Trevi Fountain area. It used to go all the way to the Spanish Steps, but it appears that's no longer the case. I would rather stay in walking distance to most things though.

https://www.atac.roma.it/docs/defaul...sn=ddffb109_10

https://www.atac.roma.it/docs/defaul...sn=68cf7dc5_32

Old May 7th, 2024, 01:25 AM

While in the Rhone Valley one blazing hot day in summer, I stayed in a hotel with very thick walls and no a/c. There were also shutters on the windows that opened from the bottom up, so the room was always protected from the sun. It was surprisingly cool, despite the withering heat outside.
Old May 7th, 2024, 02:19 AM

All depends on the height of the rooms and on the size and the position of the windows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -