Quebec City, Montreal and more?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2024, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are gearing up for a 9-day adventure from New Jersey to Quebec this August. We're both in our early 60s and eager to explore. Our interests span from hiking, nature, sightseeing, and museums to local cuisine, wineries and breweries. Additionally, we may bring along our golf clubs, so any suggestions for golf courses are welcome.

We're currently debating our itinerary. While my husband suggests heading straight to Quebec City and then backtracking to Montreal, I'm inclined towards a different route. My idea is to kick off in Montreal for a few days, then venture to Quebec City, possibly squeezing in another stop on our return journey. I'm seeking recommendations for this additional stop, considering options for enriching day trips around Quebec City and Montreal.

To streamline our planning, here are a few specific questions:
  1. How should we divide our time between Montreal and Quebec City, considering a total of 9 days round trip? We're open to suggestions for another stop as well.
  2. Are there any notable wine regions conveniently located near Quebec City or Montreal? We're aiming to avoid venturing too far north.
  3. Any must-see day trips from Montreal or Quebec City?
  4. What are the top attractions in both cities? While we'll consult guidebooks, we're keen to uncover hidden treasures.
  5. Can you recommend any local restaurants or bars in Montreal / QC off the beaten path, especially those with live music?
Your insights and tips would be greatly appreciated as we chart our course. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 08:11 AM

We did a road trip from Ontario to Prince Edward Island with stops in Montreal and Quebec city.
Scroll to the photos of those cities , they might be of interest to you.
Road trip, Ontario to Prince Edward Island, Canada
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. Your pictures are spectacular. What kind of camera did you use? You've definitely given me some ideas of where to go!
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 05:26 AM

Glad you found my trip report useful, thanks for the positive comments.

Used the phone (Ulefone) for the photos, the phone camera is average, more important was the settings.
HDR ( high dynamic range) for vivid photos, long exposures to bring out the colors, light adjustments, waiting for the right shadow/light available.
Also for every good photo , took dozens of not so good photos, takes time, patience, trial and error to get the settings just right.

Did other trip reports that have good and not so good photos because sometimes it isn't possible to wait for the right conditions, it's all part of travel.

Old Apr 21st, 2024, 05:50 AM

Montreal and Quebec City are two of the most interesting cities in North America, but they are very different. Montreal is much bigger, Quebec City possibly the most picturesque little city this side of the Atlantic. I would do at least an extra night in Montreal. I might do 4 nights in Montreal, 2 in Quebec City, a night or two in the Tadoussac region above Quebec City, and a night or two in the Eastern Townships just east of Montreal.
There are 3 neighborhoods of interest in Montreal - Old Montreal, the Downtown, and the Plateau. They are all fun, safe and interesting. Old Montreal is the most picturesque and touristed with a very lively waterfront. The downtown is like many other metro city centers with lots of big stores, the underground city and the Museum of Art., The Plateau is more French, more residential with many small BYOB places, parks and funky shops. Top Montreal attractions - the Old Port, the Botanical gardens, the Jean Talon market to name a few of our favorites.
In Quebec City, definitely stay in the Old City, both upper and lower are great. Don't miss the changing of the guard just outside the Old City. Ile De Orleans is a pretty rural island just outside the city, Montmorency Falls is very impressive..
The Tadoussac region is very beautiful and unique with whale watches, hiking trails, and the Saguenay Fjord.
The Eastern Townships are Quebec's farm country, with about 2 dozen picturesque wineries, apple orchards, wonderful bike paths and small French speaking towns. Magog, Bromont, and Sutton may be the most desirable towns to stay in.Dunham is the epi center of wine country. Very flat and open just outside Montreal, more mountainous as you head towards Magog.