Search

8 days in Poland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days in Poland

Dear Friends,

we are from India and plan to visit Poland for about 8 days in May 2024. Our Plan is to first visit Prague and from there we go to Poland. Ideally, looking at the map our entry point ideally would be Krakow, then Warsaw and then Gdansk (We hear that it is a beautiful place and must visit). Keeping this mind, we feel, our itinerary should be
3 days in Krakow
3 days in Warsaw
2 Days in Gdansk

1 days return back to Warsaw and fly back to India.

Request help please...if this OK OR should we skip Gdansk completely and just focus on Warsaw and Krakow.

Also what would be the best way to travel between two cities....

Further, in which areas should we stay in Krakow and Warsaw....

Thank you in advance for your advice.....
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 03:46 AM

We visited those three cities on our trip to Poland, although we had more time available to us. Krakow is charming and better preserved than the other cities. Highlights included Wawel Castle and Cathedral (excellent audio tour), the Oscar Schindler Factory, the beautiful central square, and the underground tour. We took a tour to Auschwitz (very worthwhile) but did not do a tour to the salt mines, which many people seem to like. It would be nice if you could add time to Krakow, because it is a lovely, walkeable historic city.

We then took a train to Warsaw. The old town is a reconstruction because Warsaw was severely bombed in WWII. There is a very nice Warsaw Rising Museum, which is about the Warsaw Uprising in WWII. But otherwise, I found the city lacking charm because of the Soviet architecture.

Next, we trained to Gdansk. We got off first in Malbork to take the short walk to Malbork Castle (there was luggage storage at the station when we were there-check). Malbork is a 13th century castle complex that was originally built by knights of the Teutonic order and is now a UNESCO world heritage site. Well worth a visit if you can.

However, you are in a bit of a time crunch for all three cities. If you want to do all 3, I would visit Krakow, then take a direct train to Gdansk, and then head to Warsaw for your flight. You could play around with the number of days for each, but I would be inclined to add to Krakow and take from Warsaw.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 04:05 AM

Meant to add that I found Gdansk charming. It too suffered a lot of destruction in WWII and many buildings have been rebuilt. The European Solidaarity Centre was interesting. My suggestion would be 4 days Krakow, train to Gdansk. Three days Gdansk, then train to Malbork, then on to Warsaw (if the transfers work--or you could do as a day trip from Gdansk). One night Warsaw. But others might well disagree.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 07:57 AM

We’ll be visiting Poland in April/May, after 5 days in Budapest. We have 4.5 days in Krakow and 2 in Warsaw before flying back home. Unfortunately no time for Gadansk!

In Warsaw, though we’re taking in a Chopin piano recital in the Old Town one evening, plus a walk of the Jewish Ghetto and visit to the Rising museum. Not very much to see in this city, but it’s the most convenient for our flights back.

Krakow is what I am looking forward to, we have two days planned, one to Auschwitz/Birkenau and the other to the salt mines, the latter will be a half day tour. This apart we do walking tours on the Old Town and Kazimierz, the Jewish Quarter.

We’re taking the overnight train from Budapest to Krakow and the intercity one from Krakow to Warsaw, lots of trains right through the day.

Last edited by geetika; Mar 19th, 2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 08:07 AM

I have only been to Krakow of the three. I spent 5 nights there and then went on a car trip around other parts of Malapolska. Krakow is one of my favorite places in Europe. My first view of the Market Square was jaw-dropping. The Wieliczka salt mine is worth visiting as is Auschwitz unless you are traveling with young children.

Sounds like you will be missing out on the countryside which is very beautiful and fascinating. Not sure if that is by choice or lack of knowledge or both. Just north of Krakow there is a series of 'Eagles Nest" castles in ruins that lead to Czestochowa where there is a magnificent abbey. You could self drive this or find a driver through your hotel.

We stayed at Hotel Francuski in Krakow. Luxurious and a surprisingly good value.

Just south of Krakow are the Pieninny Mountians dotted with very small family farms (there is a history here of agrarian management) and wooden architecture. But this might be all more than you bargained for....

Here is a website devoted to the Wooden Architecture Trail, some sites are very close to Krakow.

Szlak Architektury Drewnianej w Ma³opolsce

Also, Tarnow has a gorgeous town square and an ethnographic museum. It is a 40 minute ride from Krakow using public transport. There is also a grim history here as 40% of the population was Jewish before 1939. We did a self-guided walking tour.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would add a day to Krakow if possible. Though not ideal, I would probably take a day from Warsaw to accomplish this.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to visit Gdansk when we were in Poland.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 04:30 AM

I was in Krakow for 3 days and I didn’t have enough time. I would like to visit a lot more places, so I think that 5 days in Krakow is just right
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Dear All,

Thank you so so much for all your detailed inputs, suggestions and advice. These have been really helpful. We will add one more day in Krakow and take a train from Krakow to Gdansk and then head to Warsaw.

I will take all the inputs provided above and chalk out our detailed plan now...

Thanks again
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 04:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you travelling with a 3 year old?
How are you getting to Poland from Prague?
When in May will you be in Poland?
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 05:39 AM

Nitishraj, there’s an overnight train from Prague to Krakow, leaves around 11pm to arrive at 6.30 the next morning. You can book a sleeper compartment with berths and stretch out at night. Of course there are day trains too, you may want to check it out.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by geetika
Nitishraj, there’s an overnight train from Prague to Krakow, leaves around 11pm to arrive at 6.30 the next morning. You can book a sleeper compartment with berths and stretch out at night. Of course there are day trains too, you may want to check it out.
This is an option, I travelled many times from Prague to Krakow using a company called Leo Express.
As I can see you have an option departing 4pm from Prague and arriving at 10pm in Krakow, not sure if this is ok for you but as mentioned, I had a good experience with them.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 08:36 AM

Can't recommend anything personally as far as I'm also planning my trip, but if you travel from Prague to Krakow - you may visit Katowice, there is a great Silesian Museum about the history of the whole region which interactive installations. And also I place I'm going to visit is Nikiszowiec - a historical neighbourhood which remained unchanged since it was established.